What if...the scoring system was more music heavy

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I agree. 

If you look at Blue Devils of 1976 or Santa Clara of the mid 70’s, you see vastly different shows than what you see today, at least as far as content and style, but you see they knew how to score well then and the same is true today.

what would be interesting is for percussion, brass, and visual to have equal footing, perhaps 30% for each, with 10% for how well the three areas come together.

I think we would see shows literally built around separate showcase moments front and center for each caption, having little to do with show concept. No thanks.

On 8/29/2019 at 11:05 AM, xandandl said:

I get the OP's point of view but am wondering what ALL the consequences of such a change would be in reality, not theory (or would that be music theory, ha, ha.)

certainly a lot of suspense.........until the resolution, regardless of cadence.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:04 PM, mjoakes said:

Liked looking at the numbers and the result. Thanks.

all of those numbers are actually pretty meaningless.  the "analsysis" if you want to call it that was for shows that were being designed with a focus on visual to maximize the sheets. 

if sheets were different with the way they weighted music, show designs would have been quite different. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

all of those numbers are actually pretty meaningless.  the "analsysis" if you want to call it that was for shows that were being designed with a focus on visual to maximize the sheets. 

if sheets were different with the way they weighted music, show designs would have been quite different. 

Excellent point, and I agree different criteria would create different results. I don’t agree these numbers are meaningless. For me, it was an interesting exercise by the OP.

23 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Excellent point, and I agree different criteria would create different results. I don’t agree these numbers are meaningless. For me, it was an interesting exercise by the OP.

I disagree. Different criteria would create different types of shows, but almost certainly not different Finals night results. Top corps are too corps because they have the resources—most importantly experienced and super talented marching members. 

16 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I disagree. Different criteria would create different types of shows, but almost certainly not different Finals night results. Top corps are too corps because they have the resources—most importantly experienced and super talented marching members. 

I agree with you, too! By different results, however, I was referring to Lance’s comment about the specific scores. That’s what I thought Lance meant, anyway. Yes, the top corps would adjust and likely be very nearly the same top group. But the numbers probably wouldn’t be a simple reframing as the OP shows.