Which is your favorite 2nd place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 2nd place show of the decade?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 2nd place DCI show of the 2010s?

• As Dreams Are Made On (Blue Devils 2016)
    • The Bluecoats (Bluecoats 2019)
    • The Beat My Heart Skipped (Blue Devils 2011)
    • Dreams and Nighthawks (Blue Devils 2018)
    • For the Common Good (Carolina Crown 2012)
    • Inferno (Carolina Crown 2015)
    • Mad World (Cavaliers 2010)
    • Ouroboros (Santa Clara Vanguard 2017)
    • The re:Rite of Spring (Blue Devils 2013)
    • Tilt (Bluecoats 2014)

7 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I’m a bit surprised at how relatively little love there is for Crown 2012. It’s one of the most ambitious shows I’ve ever seen, and in any other year where BD wasn’t quite as strong, it would have won. Also, it’s my favorite Crown brass book (and Crown hornline) ever.

Anyway, For the Common Good gets my vote. Tilt is a close second for its lasting impact on show design today.

A fantastic show, for sure. This list is just sick. It's like someone else mentioned, ask me tomorrow (after I go watch &  listen to these shows again) and you'll likely get a different answer. So many amazing shows. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

You know.  This is sort of my reflection as well.  BD has a lot of fantastic 2nd place shows but it seems they're a bit of a 'miss' when they finish second.  It's likely because we compare them to the stellar championship shows they produce.    Must be nice when your 'off year that misses' still lands in second!  hah.

Agree. But I also think there is a sameness to most of these shows from a design and props standpoint. Not saying that’s bad, it is what it is.

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Talk about a tough category. I'll take every show here any day of the week! WOW. So many great shows...as you would imagine for 2nd place. 

1. Bluecoats, The Bluecoats 2019 - absolutely adore this show and the near seamless design and transitions. The music is incredible, the staging and marching is spot on, and the show entertained so many fans. 

2. Carolina Crown, Inferno 2015 - You don't get that many fans to go crazy over your show if you're not good. Crown was a HIT in 2015! Came up short on Finals night, but the quality of that show is indisputable! That's how you present classical music on the field.

3. Bluecoats, Tilt 2014 - This is the show that began Bloo's series of game-changing designs

4. Blue Devils, The Beat My Heart Skipped 2011 - Tough call with all the BD shows because they are all monsters. In some ways I find 2016 the most well-rounded, and 2018 was a show I loved all season, but 2011 was perhaps the most fun in terms of music. I still listen to that in audio format all the time. Incredible stuff! If the question was best show, and not favorite, I might go with 2016 or 2013. For these purposes it's 2011. So much goodness in that show. Fun!

Keep in mind, we're talking very slight differences here. Every show on this list is darn near perfection. 

The 2011 hornline was incredible, probably one of my favorite BD ensemble blends from them this decade. Just really great writing 

• Like 1

1. Inferno (Carolina Crown 2015)

2. For the Common Good (Carolina Crown 2012)

3. Tilt (Bluecoats 2014)

4. Ouroboros (Santa Clara Vanguard 2017)

5. Mad World (Cavaliers 2010)

6. The Bluecoats (Bluecoats 2019)

[gap]

7. As Dreams Are Made On (Blue Devils 2016)

8. The re:Rite of Spring (Blue Devils 2013)

9. The Beat My Heart Skipped (Blue Devils 2011)

[gap]

10. Dreams and Nighthawks (Blue Devils 2018)

Edited by kalad's_phantoms_regiment
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

You know.  This is sort of my reflection as well.  BD has a lot of fantastic 2nd place shows but it seems they're a bit of a 'miss' when they finish second.  It's likely because we compare them to the stellar championship shows they produce.    Must be nice when your 'off year that misses' still lands in second!  hah.

prosperos_books3.png

I actually don't love most of these, weird!

My favorites -- Bluecoats 2019, then As Dreams are Made On. Then probably Tilt and Inferno.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 5:40 PM, Cappybara said:

The 2011 hornline was incredible, probably one of my favorite BD ensemble blends from them this decade. Just really great writing 

To me 2011 was just a weird show design wise. I was never really sure what the point was. The source music was so different for drum corps, and esp BD...but then what? It had prototypically great brass performances, just not one of my favorite BD shows. Probably suffers from being compared to so many gold medaling shows.