2020 Phantom Regiment

Couple things...

RV is the Executive Director. I have said this before, I just don’t really understand why people are “calling for his head” because of their competitive success (or lack of it). He is ultimately responsible but not the person running that side of things. His job as ED is to find the right people to run the competitive portion of the drum corps. I suppose we could argue that changes were necessary several years prior to now, but, he gave Will a chance to grow into his role when no one else would step up to the plate. I think that Will brought a lot of value to Regiment, and the fact that he is presumably not involved for 2020 saddens me. I do not think he belonged in the role he was in, but I do wholeheartedly believe he belongs at Regiment. 

I am so glad to see Ferguson is still on the design team, and I would imagine that most of his team will stay on because he is named as the caption head in the design announcement.

Which brings me to my final point: Shaw was not named as caption head, so those wondering about who he will bring in on brass staff... I suppose the answer would be: nobody. Regiment has yet to indicate who will be on the educational staff, and it seems that SCV will retain a majority of their brass staff apart from Chip.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, euphononium said:

RV is the Executive Director. I don’t really understand why people are “calling for his head” because of their competitive success (or lack of it). He is ultimately responsible but not the person running that side of things. I suppose we could argue that changes were necessary several years prior to now, but he gave Will a chance to grow into his role when no one else would step up to the plate.

I would assume that RV's role was to (i) hire designers (or hire a good program coordinator to make those hires) and caption heads and (ii) ensure that funding is available to provide a good experience to members and to hire staff to produce a competitive product. 

So what I'd like to know is: who has chosen the design staff the last couple years? Was it RV? Was it Will Pitts as program coordinator? Bad decisions were clearly made - should those making the bad decisions be allowed to continue making them? 

23 minutes ago, euphononium said:

Which brings me to my final point: Shaw was not named as caption head, so those wondering about who he will bring in on brass staff... I suppose the answer would be: nobody. Regiment has yet to indicate who will be on the educational staff, and it seems that SCV will retain a majority of their brass staff apart from Chip.

The Regiment caption heads were announced. Same brass caption head as the last couple years - Brad Toth. 

A couple other thoughts...

Design staffs are getting big. SCV, Bloo, and BD, to name a few. Regiment's is staying the same. Quantity isn't necessarily quality, but it's worth noting that a lot of the competitive groups garner ideas from a lot of folks.

I don't know what role an Artistic Director has with a corps, especially the Troopers in 2019. But I thought the unis that the 2019 Troopers wore were pretty bland (and may have said worse in Indy). I don't mind the "show-specific costume" approach, but if you're going to abandon the Trooper identity, the costume should really be worth it. I'd say it wasn't. Adam Sage was the AD with the Troopers last year... 

Along those lines, some corps have "color" guys that really help with the color palette and with set design. Greg Lagola and Michael Raiford at Bloo are great examples. It'd be nice if Regiment had some consultants or design team to help with this. I thought Alan Spaeth did some nice work with them before.

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I would assume that RV's role was to (i) hire designers (or hire a good program coordinator to make those hires) and caption heads and (ii) ensure that funding is available to provide a good experience to members and to hire staff to produce a competitive product. 

So what I'd like to know is: who has chosen the design staff the last couple years? Was it RV? Was it Will Pitts as program coordinator? Bad decisions were clearly made - should those making the bad decisions be allowed to continue making them? 

Typically, the ED’s primary responsibility is to make sure the organization runs well. and they answer to the BOD. You would have to read their specific by-laws as far as how they designate specific jobs. How a drum corps does financially and competitively are two different things (though they typically correlate). It sounds like control programming and design control was given to Will, likely because he wanted to do it, and from the sounds of it, nobody else really did? From an outside perspective, you could see small attempts to fix the problems over the past few years; new caption heads, educational staff, additional consultants, but nothing really worked out right. It seems as though someone called for a drastic change - whether that was RV, the BOD, or Will himself, we will never know - and that is why Regiment is in the position it finds itself today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

A couple other thoughts...

Design staffs are getting big. SCV, Bloo, and BD, to name a few. Regiment's is staying the same. Quantity isn't necessarily quality, but it's worth noting that a lot of the competitive groups garner ideas from a lot of folks.

I don't know what role an Artistic Director has with a corps, especially the Troopers in 2019. But I thought the unis that the 2019 Troopers wore were pretty bland (and may have said worse in Indy). I don't mind the "show-specific costume" approach, but if you're going to abandon the Trooper identity, the costume should really be worth it. I'd say it wasn't. Adam Sage was the AD with the Troopers last year... 

Along those lines, some corps have "color" guys that really help with the color palette and with set design. Greg Lagola and Michael Raiford at Bloo are great examples. It'd be nice if Regiment had some consultants or design team to help with this. I thought Alan Spaeth did some nice work with them before.

I thought they always had a great palette when sage was there previously, especially 2005. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

I thought they always had a great palette when sage was there previously, especially 2005. 

One of my favorites!!!!! That show embodied so many elements Regiment is known for. Laid the groundwork for Faust and Spartacus.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1