2020 Phantom Regiment

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, Sutasaurus said:

19 hours ago, Continental said:

I didn't mind JH's drill in 2015. 

It was not on the same level as those in the upper echelon of corps that year. Then again, neither was the concept.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:31 AM, Rocketman said:

It was not on the same level as those in the upper echelon of corps that year. Then again, neither was the concept.

I say this: let's worry about competence to start with. Competence has been in short supply with the design team for a number of years, and Jeremy Hunt is without a doubt competent as a drill writer. (however, the video seems to imply that it was his idea for the guard in 2015 to be dressed as Holly Golightly, in which case 😬)

Come up with a competent show with a competently written brass book and visual design. Build off of the seemingly great experience that the corps members had in 2019. Give instructors something to work with, improve for a couple years, keep members and recruit mature performers, then reassess. 

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Come up with a competent show with a competently written brass book and visual design. Build off of the seemingly great experience that the corps members had in 2019. Give instructors something to work with, improve for a couple years, keep members and recruit mature performers, then reassess. 

Herein lies the problem. Who is charged with the development of the concept? A single individual or a team effort? In either case, it has got to be something that is comparable to the current DCI standards (I.E BD, Coats, etc).

4 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Herein lies the problem. Who is charged with the development of the concept? A single individual or a team effort? In either case, it has got to be something that is comparable to the current DCI standards (I.E BD, Coats, etc).

It doesn't need to be comparable to the top right away. It just needs to be, as Kdaddy puts it, "competent." The designs the past couple years have NOT been "competent" imo. 

If they can create a respectable design, they can slowly build from that, refine the design-creating process as the years go and they learn from mistakes, and slowly build themselves back up to where they used to be. 

With the new design team I think the pieces are mostly in place, it's just a matter of how well they use them

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

If they can create a respectable design, they can slowly build from that, refine the design-creating process as the years go and they learn from mistakes, and slowly build themselves back up to where they used to be. 

With the new design team I think the pieces are mostly in place, it's just a matter of how well they use them

I agree with these two sentences.

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

It doesn't need to be comparable to the top right away. It just needs to be, as Kdaddy puts it, "competent." The designs the past couple years have NOT been "competent" imo. 

In fact, I'd argue from the opposite direction as well - if you've got bottom six capabilities, it's naive to try to design a medalist show. I heard a story about SCV whenever they did the Ballet for Martha show - the brass arranger told one of my friends that "we tried to design a fourth place show." They knew what talent (probably on all fronts: members, designers, instructors) they had, and they aimed for a particular level of design. I would suggest doing something beyond those capabilities would be detrimental.

And let's remember that JD Shaw was involved with Regiment starting in 2002. They put together some competent shows, brass instruction improved, and other design elements came into place to create 2005-2008. Trending upward in competence (and, as a consequence, placement) is what the corps needs. 

Another analogy... the Crown design and caption management group that brought us the 2003 production largely gave us the 2008 production (and beyond). They didn't swing for the fences right away, and trying to do so would've been a mess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While I mostly agree with the sentiments, in this 'what have you done for me lately' world, will the 'talent' stick around long enough to build back to respectability? I was hoping that the new design team would draw talent that would enable the corps to go beyond what is expected.