2020 Phantom Regiment

15 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

The future members already know what they are looking for and probably don’t need bright and shiny objects to draw them in. Current information on fees, touring, requirements to audition is more important in attracting marchers.

With all due respect, you're not a potential marcher. 

Social media (namely instagram and snapchat) is more important, but webpage presence is absolutely important. It'd be one other thing if other corps weren't paying attention to their webpages, but other corps clearly put an emphasis here with attractive and informative pages. And Phantom Regiment is competing with more corps than they ever have for students - corps like Mandarins, Crossmen, and Spirit, among others are competitors that haven't been before. 

It's common among Phantom Regiment fans to think that all kids know this corps and all kids want to march there. A championship in 2008 is a lifetime ago. Kids are attracted to different things these days, and corps have to respond to that. Of course, one attraction is a competent, well-designed show from the year before to recruit to, and I believe the corps will be on the road toward this in 2020. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Perhaps it needs pictures of Charmin on it? The future members already know what they are looking for and probably don’t need bright and shiny objects to draw them in. Current information on fees, touring, requirements to audition is more important in attracting marchers.

Or maybe videos would help to attract the youngin's.....

23 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

With all due respect, you're not a potential marcher. 

Social media (namely instagram and snapchat) is more important, but webpage presence is absolutely important. It'd be one other thing if other corps weren't paying attention to their webpages, but other corps clearly put an emphasis here with attractive and informative pages. And Phantom Regiment is competing with more corps than they ever have for students - corps like Mandarins, Crossmen, and Spirit, among others are competitors that haven't been before. 

It's common among Phantom Regiment fans to think that all kids know this corps and all kids want to march there. A championship in 2008 is a lifetime ago. Kids are attracted to different things these days, and corps have to respond to that. Of course, one attraction is a competent, well-designed show from the year before to recruit to, and I believe the corps will be on the road toward this in 2020. 

I politely disagree. I’m not a potential marcher but the young people who get involved in drum corps already know what they are looking for. If they know enough to look up Phantom Regiment’s or any corps’  website they are ahead of “talking points” on a web page. It is, after all a rather niche activity so I would venture a guess that those who are looking to march already know about a corps’  history through friends and band mates. I’m not saying the Regiment’s website is the industry standard, what I am saying is that social media is the go to resource for potential marchers, the corps’ website should answer questions they might have after an interest has been created.

Help out an old man here. When did it become a common thing among Regiment fans to think that all kids know this corps and all kids want to march there?

That, kind sir, is a stretch.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

It'd be one other thing if other corps weren't paying attention to their webpages, but other corps clearly put an emphasis here with attractive and informative pages. And Phantom Regiment is competing with more corps than they ever have for students - corps like Mandarins, Crossmen, and Spirit, among others are competitors that haven't been before. 

Phantom is about to get tremendous interest for the 2020 season and it has nothing to do with the design of their website.

It has everything to do with the announced content.

If someone chooses a corps because of the website then they probably aren't Regiment material.  

Edited by Continental
  • Haha 1

It's just so weird that everything to some people is like the end of the world ALL THE TIME.  Seriously, I cannot imagine living my life being so darn critical about everything and everyone.  I mean seriously, weed is now available in places and they sell decaf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I’m not saying the Regiment’s website is the industry standard, what I am saying is that social media is the go to resource for potential marchers, the corps’ website should answer questions they might have after an interest has been created.

Dude, I literally said that the webpage desperately needed updating and that they found the right guy to do it (which apparently isn't an okay thing to say somehow). I said social media is more important, but the website absolutely matters. You say it doesn't.

But ultimately... WHY are you arguing this point? Why have an outdated website when you're trying to crawl out of 12th place? Why not try to market as best as possible? This hasn't been Phantom Regiment's strategy, but it desperately needs to be today. They should be going all out, including a smart webpage design to complement what I assume will be a smart design by the design staff. I really have no clue how you can argue with me about this. 

Here's the new promo material that I assume Robert Cawthorne is putting together. It looks fantastic: https://regiment.org/pr2020-promo-help/. Or maybe they should keep doing what they've done in the past, because it appears that you and others think that's enough. Apparently this sort of thing doesn't matter to kids marching today.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Dude, I literally said that the webpage desperately needed updating and that they found the right guy to do it (which apparently isn't an okay thing to say somehow). I said social media is more important, but the website absolutely matters. You say it doesn't.

But ultimately... WHY are you arguing this point? Why have an outdated website when you're trying to crawl out of 12th place? Why not try to market as best as possible? This hasn't been Phantom Regiment's strategy, but it desperately needs to be today. They should be going all out, including a smart webpage design to complement what I assume will be a smart design by the design staff. I really have no clue how you can argue with me about this. 

Here's the new promo material that I assume Robert Cawthorne is putting together. It looks fantastic: https://regiment.org/pr2020-promo-help/. Or maybe they should keep doing what they've done in the past, because it appears that you and others think that's enough. Apparently this sort of thing doesn't matter to kids marching today.

Dude, we’re beating a dead horse. I’ll move on if you will. This is senseless and it gets us where? Let’s just be thankful for the new media connection and call it a century. Too much Unnecessary agida.

Edited by Sutasaurus

12 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Perhaps it needs pictures of Charmin on it? 

I'm assuming to remind them of you, their favorite former board member? 

9 hours ago, kdaddy said:

It amuses me when older people think they're so in tune with the lives of young adults, while at the same time constantly criticizing the younger generation. 

I'm in 100% agreement with you (and yup, the new content looks great)

• Thanks 2

On 10/15/2019 at 8:21 AM, Cappybara said:

^

Edited by xandandl