2020 Phantom Regiment

19 hours ago, Continental said:

I  remember many things that were being posted back then.

You are correct about the similarities.  Even back in 16, Boston had a pretty good war chest to hire great staff on long term contracts.  I’m not aware how strong PR’s bank account is.  Those folks were probably told what the desires of the BOD and ED were, and were left alone for the most part.  The mm talent given contracts improved, they had much improved shows, which motivated other talented mm to audition.  Come finals night next August, we’ll know if PR has had the same success to improve six positions with how good the top 12 have been in recent years.  

Edited by Ghost

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

You are correct about the similarities.  Even back in 16, Boston had a pretty good war chest to hire great staff on long term contracts.  I’m not aware how strong PR’s bank account is.  Those folks were probably told what the desires of the BOD and ED were, and were left alone for the most part.  The mm talent given contacts improved, they had much improved shows, which motivated other talented mm to audition.  Come finals night next August, we’ll know if PR has had the same success to improve six positions with how good the top 12 have been in recent years.  

I am looking at this from the perspective that for the last few years the possibility of being outside of the top 12 was real.  I am hopeful that this year the season can progress without thinking about that.  That makes me excited. 

I want the corps to be on a stable footing from a staff perspective first - stop the revolving door.  

One thing Hall mentions in the interview is that many of the staff have worked together before.  The staff breaking in period will be shorter as a result. 

Edited by Continental

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

A worthy quest, but there are several corps, who finished ahead of PR recently, who are also striving to move up.

1 Blue Devils 98.325

2 Bluecoats 98.238

3 Santa Clara Vanguard 96.600

4 Carolina Crown 96.563

5 The Cavaliers 95.400

6 Boston Crusaders 94.488

7 Blue Knights 92.050

8 Blue Stars 91.225

9 The Cadets 89.838

10 Mandarins 89.300

11 Crossmen 87.550

12 Phantom Regiment 87.238

And?  This is a new year.  Unless you are suggesting slotting.....

18 hours ago, Continental said:

At this point in time last year I do not remember that.  I do remember as the season progressed, there was acknowledgement that the young adults in the corps were putting their heart and soul into the show and making it work. 

You are an alumnus of this corps.  Can you not just be happy that there is significant movement? You marched more than one year with them. 

There are other alumni on here.  Every year they support the corps. 

Every. Single. Year. 

How does my statement equate to not supporting the corps? I prefer to call it cautious optimism. The problem is, as I had pointed out in another thread, finances. Unless there has been a dramatic increase in funding to support the current trend in the activity, it is possible (probably likely) they will remain a lower tier corps. If you look at the corps above them the last few years, it is obvious a good amount of funds was spent on (unfortunately) props. If the corps is going to try and outdo the Scouts last year (IMO), that would not be a good idea. And don't go down the 'how much have you committed to the corps' road. The funds we're talking about are far greater than that derived from alumni support.

I will always support them no matter what. I just got a little tired of some myopic people claiming 'this show / brass line is better than (enter year here). Here's all you need to know about the last five years (7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th). Do I think the trend will continue? No. But a lot has to go right for a long period of time to bring them back into competing for a title. 

I would call it pessimism.  Money doesn't equate to placement.  Actually, a lot has to go right for one year to win..unless you are proposing slotting.

c1e838905b8174c9c3ed558e899535d7.jpg

To me, it looks like they’re doing all the right things to right the ship. The past can’t be changed; what else were people expecting at this point? Hiring Jesus to coordinate the show? Sheesh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rocketman said:

How does my statement equate to not supporting the corps? I prefer to call it cautious optimism. The problem is, as I had pointed out in another thread, finances. Unless there has been a dramatic increase in funding to support the current trend in the activity, it is possible (probably likely) they will remain a lower tier corps. If you look at the corps above them the last few years, it is obvious a good amount of funds was spent on (unfortunately) props. If the corps is going to try and outdo the Scouts last year (IMO), that would not be a good idea. And don't go down the 'how much have you committed to the corps' road. The funds we're talking about are far greater than that derived from alumni support.

I will always support them no matter what. I just got a little tired of some myopic people claiming 'this show / brass line is better than (enter year here). Here's all you need to know about the last five years (7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th). Do I think the trend will continue? No. But a lot has to go right for a long period of time to bring them back into competing for a title. 

Rocketman I apologize for the assumption.  

When you speak of "funding to support the current trend of the activity" are you specifically referring to the cost of props as a requirement to remain competitive and advance in the rankings?

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

To me, it looks like they’re doing all the right things to right the ship. The past can’t be changed; what else were people expecting at this point? Hiring Jesus to coordinate the show? Sheesh.

10 Tesla Cybertrucks spread around the field for the horn/drum line to stand on.  I think they would make amazing props - all those angles.  Kind of like Bluecoats 2014 except there are truck parts in the middle - and very large wheels to help with getting them on/off the field. 

By the way, did Tesla copy Bluecoats props from 2014?

Edited by Continental

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

And?  This is a new year.  Unless you are suggesting slotting.....

It is a new year, but I listed last years finals scores as a reply to show the corps who finished ahead of PR are also striving to reach top six or higher.