2020 Phantom Regiment

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:30 AM, Sutasaurus said:

Maybe it’s a show about a mountain rescue? Cue up Alpine Symphony? Send in the......St. Bernards?

OMG!

I have wanted them to do Alpine Symphony for, I don't know, two decades!

Unfortunately, it would seem too much like what Blue Stars did last year.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:22 PM, mcjordansc said:

Decades begin with the year ending in the numeral 1 and finish with a 0, so this is not the last Monday of the decade. 

No they don't, stop being weird.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

OMG!

I have wanted them to do Alpine Symphony for, I don't know, two decades!

Unfortunately, it would seem too much like what Blue Stars did last year.

What LaCrosse broke out the Heilemann kegs on those "huskies" the sledders used?

Six Pack.      Largest Six Pack sign.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Preach, brother. :guinesssmilie:

Drink up Shriners!

• Like 1

Out of respect to the Regiment alumni, phans and prhriends who post on this thread, out of respect for Mr. Warren (corps alum and director) and Mr. Valenzuela (recently announced resigned CEO) and others interested in the Phantom Regiment, I post here what I stated on another thread. In full disclosure, over the years I have been an occasional donor to the corps and past financial sponsor to several Regiment fmms.

"re: Rick Valenzuela rick@regiment.org
      David Warren david@regiment.org

I was wondering why Regiment made the OP's initial list twice, the only corps to do so. (???)

It occurred to me Mr. Valenzuela has resigned from his Rockford position as CEO until a replacement is named. However, Mr. Valenzuela who also has been serving as official liaison between DCI corps directors and DCI BoD, also announced that upon leaving Regiment he will be taking on a new position with System Blue whom we all know to be a manufacturer and distributor of musical instruments for bands and drum corps.

In a perfect world, I would anticipate Mr. Valenzuela to recuse himself  from any say on what musical instruments DCI corps should be allowed to use in competition.

Otherwise there seems a clear ethical Conflict of Interest situation which might skew any of Regiment's votes and would sully Mr. Valenzuela's strong legacy at both Regiment and SCV where he has been director. At Regiment, he helped climb the corps out of a large financial hole and steadied the corps past the fatal bus tragedy in Arizona; at SCV he steered the corps past the death of its founder Mr. Royer and continued many of the traditions of the corps where Mr. Valenzuela was himself an alum (baritone.)  Just as excellence has been the presumed goal of his leadership both in California and Illinois, I would hope he would choose the higher standard now and honor the wishes of the founders of the two corps he chaired.

Mr. Royer was a music teacher from Iowa who moved to California and took over the leadership of the Sunnyvale Sparks drum corps whom Mr. Royer re-branded as The Santa Clara Vanguard. Mr. Royer could have started a marching band like the Santa Ana Winds or the Royal Regiment, both fine California independent marching bands; instead he chose a drum and bugle corps and continued to choose his and other units to be drum and bugle corps when Mr. Royer, Mr. Jim Jones, Mr. Don Warren, Mr. Bill Howard, Mr. Hugh Mahon, Mr. George Bonfiglio, and others began Drum Corps International. When they began, they chose not to align with the Largo, Florida Band of Gold and other marching bands who competed in American Legion and VFW national contests. They and DCI for almost 50 years after have chosen brass and percussion instruments.

When Mr. Alex Haddad and others began the unit in Rockford in 1956 from the interested teens at two different Catholic high schools and greater Rockford, they chose not to continue as a marching band like the schools had (and whose uniforms they borrowed) but as a drum and bugle corps of brass and percussion instruments.

One can note something similar when Mr. George Bonfiglio and others took the remnants of the Immaculate Conception (I.C.) Reveries and began the 27th Lancers drum and bugle corps, a DCI silver medalist and strong contender, rather than re-starting as a marching band in the neighboring Boston CYO and Eastern Mass circuits quite active at that time.

I don't presume ill will on the part of Mr. Valenzuela whom I have cited previously on various DCP threads as being noteworthy for his allegiance to his corps. But I do in a fraternal way remind him and other DCI leaders that conflicts of interest mean more than just "what DCI judge is now the clinic leader for Fred Martin's high school band?"  In light of the System Blue connection, Mr. Valenzuela should recuse himself from the discussion and vote and in no way hamper or influence any vote from the Phantom Regiment.  The media does not need the grist of another scandal story about DCI. To now, Mr. Valenzuela and both of his corps still have my respect. I hope that continues." 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We're only six months away from our first preview! 

Coincidentally, I recently moved from Denton, TX to about an hour away from Rockford. That means I'll probably end up going to Music in The Park and record it myself 😎

(but that also means no more summer SCV recordings at UNT 😔)

The working repertoire is still being finalized I think. They have four total pieces including the already verified Mahler 5.

42 minutes ago, gabe211 said:

We're only six months away from our first preview! 

Coincidentally, I recently moved from Denton, TX to about an hour away from Rockford. That means I'll probably end up going to Music in The Park and record it myself 😎

(but that also means no more summer SCV recordings at UNT 😔)

The working repertoire is still being finalized I think. They have four total pieces including the already verified Mahler 5.

I got to watch his Regiment line rehearse a few times when I was doing pre-dental at UNT. Since we’ll be moving to the Ft. Worth area this summer, maybe I’ll catch the SCV line too. I would Love to see Regiment at Concert in the Park some day.