2020 Phantom Regiment

I'll play.  One of these things is not like the other... one of these things is not like the other....

It's the 2016 show right?  That show was not good whereas all the others were fantastic.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

It's the 2016 show right?  That show was not good whereas all the others were fantastic.

I just re-watched 2016.  It has two beautiful ballads.  I remember Phantom being panned for being ballad heavy that year.  The ballads are indeed so beautiful. 

The ballads were great, the overall cohesiveness of the show was what didn't really work for me at all.   

Hah!  Nah, it was just sort of a "this show didn't stand out that year" like the others did for those years for me I guess.

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

The ballads were great, the overall cohesiveness of the show was what didn't really work for me at all.   

I'd go so far as to say that the ballads were okay and that there was one too many of them. That show was a big "why is this happening?" for me. 

Edited by kdaddy

I mostly liked the 2016 show.  The double ballads were both pretty good, though fairly short - though I guess you can say they added up to one full ballad.  I agree - the show definitely had no flow at all - it was pretty clear the designers said "how about these tunes" and shoehorned everything from there without a clear overall vision.

Mike

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

I mostly liked the 2016 show.  The double ballads were both pretty good, though fairly short - though I guess you can say they added up to one full ballad.  I agree - the show definitely had no flow at all - it was pretty clear the designers said "how about these tunes" and shoehorned everything from there without a clear overall vision.

Mike

I mean, "four songs and great drill" used to work, but even that had more cohesive flow it seemed.  There were plenty of moments in that 2016 show but they just didn't go together in a reasonable way.  On the plus side, it wasn't a good selection of music and some neat drill that was ultimately strung together with a layer of "its a Paris shopping spree!"

I love Phantom for a lot of things but recent show design has been..odd.  The Joan show worked for me better than this one. But I wouldn't put it in the same ballpark with the rest on that list.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...