N.E. Brigand

Which is your favorite 1st place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 1st place show of the decade?  

158 members have voted

  1. 1. What’s your favorite 1st place DCI show of the 2010s?

    • Babylon (Santa Clara Vanguard 2018)
      34
    • Between Angels and Demons (Cadets 2011)
      18
    • Cabaret Voltaire (Blue Devils 2012)
      4
    • Down Side Up (Bluecoats 2016)
      35
    • E=mc2 (Carolina Crown 2013)
      21
    • Felliniesque (Blue Devils 2014)
      28
    • Ghostlight (Blue Devils 2019)
      3
    • Ink (Blue Devils 2015)
      6
    • Metamorph (Blue Devils 2017)
      8
    • Through a Glass, Darkly (Blue Devils 2010)
      1


Recommended Posts

On 8/29/2019 at 9:10 PM, MikeRapp said:

1. Down side up changed Bluecoats and the activity in so many ways.

Felliniesque and Ink are astounding productions with imo the best books BD has done this decade.

Babylon is a crazy amazing show.

Alright but it changed the activity into this giant complaining group when a uniform is released or electronics get used

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Alright but it changed the activity into this giant complaining group when a uniform is released or electronics get used

Complaining has been the life blood of drum corps since it’s incarnation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Felliniesque is the best designed and performed show I have ever seen (going back to my first in 1963), so that is my #1.

Downside Up is #2

Between Angels and Demons #3

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 6:01 PM, Chief Guns said:

Fully expecting to get smoked for the homer pick, but Felliniesque is the greatest performance i have ever seen live. Not even close. Thanks for playing, God Bless goodnight. 

No way in hell the greatest performance of all time includes Hair flipping, ###### tambourine, and banging on a table.

Crown had better brass, SCV had better percussion, 

Bad Children's theater acting.

Rehashing props for the few previous years. Lawn Chairs and Cloths Racks.

Tilt was a much better show, with a better ballad, a far better ending, and better GE. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Minimaster said:

No way in hell the greatest performance of all time includes Hair flipping, ###### tambourine, and banging on a table.

Crown had better brass, SCV had better percussion, 

Bad Children's theater acting.

Rehashing props for the few previous years. Lawn Chairs and Cloths Racks.

Tilt was a much better show, with a better ballad, a far better ending, and better GE. 

 

You're adorable :inlove:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Minimaster said:

No way in hell the greatest performance of all time includes Hair flipping, ###### tambourine, and banging on a table.

Crown had better brass, SCV had better percussion, 

Bad Children's theater acting.

Rehashing props for the few previous years. Lawn Chairs and Cloths Racks.

Tilt was a much better show, with a better ballad, a far better ending, and better GE. 

 

Thank you for the response. Have a blessed day and a nice life. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Minimaster said:

Crown had better brass, SCV had better percussion, 

Tilt was a much better show, with a better ballad, a far better ending, and better GE. 

 

I agree with you here. I omitted some other inflammatory parts of your post.

Here is how I see 1-5 in 2014.

OOTW I think had one of the most amazing brass books of all time and the chops to pull it off...but what was so great about that show other than the brass? Yes I think brass is the most important piece to the puzzle but it's still only one part of the whole and it's about the sum of it's parts. I do think they deserved the Ott.

SCV- one of the best on the field but it was a rehash of another show of theirs and the uniqueness and creativity of the design wasn't there. Maybe, in an alternate universe this show could push for the championship.

Cadets- Championship level corps, poor design.

Bluecoats- definitely a championship level design with one of the best ballads of all time. A great corps but not top tier.

BD- this show is a score sheets dream. Many fans and folks in the drum corps community agree that this is the greatest show of all time.- Whether you or I think so is a moot point. We all like,see, and feel different things. Nobody should mock you for your opinion though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

I agree with you here. I omitted some other inflammatory parts of your post.

Here is how I see 1-5 in 2014.

OOTW I think had one of the most amazing brass books of all time and the chops to pull it off...but what was so great about that show other than the brass? Yes I think brass is the most important piece to the puzzle but it's still only one part of the whole and it's about the sum of it's parts. I do think they deserved the Ott.

SCV- one of the best on the field but it was a rehash of another show of theirs and the uniqueness and creativity of the design wasn't there. Maybe, in an alternate universe this show could push for the championship.

Cadets- Championship level corps, poor design.

Bluecoats- definitely a championship level design with one of the best ballads of all time. A great corps but not top tier.

BD- this show is a score sheets dream. Many fans and folks in the drum corps community agree that this is the greatest show of all time.- Whether you or I think so is a moot point. We all like,see, and feel different things. Nobody should mock you for your opinion though.

E=mc2 is better than just the brass. It’s a risky but genius concept, that was both fun and technically awesome both in terms of music and drill. I loved the closer, esp watching it on finals night with the crowd roaring to its feet. It would be a worthy gold medalist in any year.

Tilt went farther than most shows and corps of its kind could ever go. It was one show that truly rode its own success curve all season long. Bluecoats, before Tilt, were a solid second to third tier corps; Tilt put them in the first tier and then DSU rolled the dice to change the power balance for the foreseeable future. Tilt truly was ahead of its time.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

E=mc2 is better than just the brass. It’s a risky but genius concept, that was both fun and technically awesome both in terms of music and drill. I loved the closer, esp watching it on finals night with the crowd roaring to its feet. It would be a worthy gold medalist in any year.

Tilt went farther than most shows and corps of its kind could ever go. It was one show that truly rode its own success curve all season long. Bluecoats, before Tilt, were a solid second to third tier corps; Tilt put them in the first tier and then DSU rolled the dice to change the power balance for the foreseeable future. Tilt truly was ahead of its time.

Yes and yes 

I was referring to the 5th place Out of this World show specifically not E=mc2. Crown was very deserving of their championship.

And I couldn't have written how I feel about Tilt better than you did above. My point was when you put the show itself aside and just compare 2014 corps Bluecoats weren't quite there yet (top tier) but they did have a whole lot of passion and emotion in performing on their side. Couple that with a world class innovative show design and they get 2nd place. Which is awesome.

As you said Tilt PUT them in the top tier and helped change power/balance. (2000-13 they were GOOD and improving but not too tier). Today's Bluecoats and DCI would be a lot different if Tilt never existed. Given the time table for Bluecoats history I really don't think this show would have been the champion in another year which is the argument some posters are making.

Edited by ThePlanets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E=MC followed closely behind Angels 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.