2019 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

Showmanship Award - James Bond Trombone Quartet, White Sabers

I just giggled and threw up a little lol

• Like 1

Every year I have the same experience: I score most of the corps in Prelims lower than the judges do, then I score most of the corps in Finals higher than the judges do.

But this year, I took a two-hour walk between shows thinking that this was the worst DCA championships I'd attended over the last nine years.

Either the walk changed my mind, or the corps did a heck of a lot of work in the few hours they had today, because I thought almost every corps at Finals was on fire.

What a great evening!

not gonna disagree with the scores...recaps pretty much sum it up. I'm sure some will complain about the double panels and ow it may have affected some captions, but hey....there is no perfect system. everyone judged their sheet and the show of the day.

left after Bucs to scoot home, finally saw scores pop up about 25 minutes from home. DCA awards ceremonies can last longer than WGI, and thats saying something.

I still feel the venue is eh ( lack of handrails on full display a few times tonight), i WILL give DCA and the WAHS parents some props for a few things, especially given the entire schedule changing Thursday.

1st, Parking far more organized this year. Bravo. Also bravo for finding a place for souvies INSIDE the stadium. warmups more noticeable inside the stadium this year, but I saw far less complaining about that set up, and i know of no formal decree from above that people shut up or ship out. if there was one, i'd have heard. 

quick thoughts on corps:

Columbus Saints have potential, but the show needs to be designed for who they have.

Govies...seemed really tired tonight, but a fun show

Sky....loved all the NYNY references, traffic jam etc...still not sure how a Mary Poppins show ties into NYC, but hey

Gold...circus shows usually turn me off. This one didn't, and the clear A class winner

Sun...see Saints. some cool ideas, but design issues affected achievement

Southern Knights...nice little show! Would have loved to see it with 15 more brass.

Hurcs: vocal clips seemed really soft tonight. Moments of brilliance followed by moments of the opposite.

CT....IMO, criminally underscored. Not saying they should have been the pack above them, but should have been a hell of a lot closer. in fact, the first corps to truly move the crowd

Fusion...really good run tonight, lots of improvement to the show. 

Bush...percussion on fire. Brass had some issues, but another fun show. I'd love to see them come out with 50 brass from day 1 some year

White Sabers....another good show. Came a long way conceptually, and all phases performed really well.

Cabs...gotta be honest, after Peckville, i was less than impressed. Well, tonight, I got the concept, and they performed well, but eh.....til I saw Louie out there in the original Caballero uniform. Great ending to the show

CV....seemed like they were trying too hard. Also, were some sound files missing? the zeus intro seemed to come out of nowhere since nothing had been heard since the first one. still well prepared and performed

Bucs...yup. IMO, wasn't ever really in question. Bonus props to their fanbase for the candles at the end of the show

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

not gonna disagree with the scores...recaps pretty much sum it up. I'm sure some will complain about the double panels and how it may have affected some captions, but hey....there is no perfect system. everyone judged their sheet and the show of the day.

left after Bucs to scoot home, finally saw scores pop up about 25 minutes from home. DCA awards ceremonies can last longer than WGI, and thats saying something.

I still feel the venue is eh ( lack of handrails on full display a few times tonight), i WILL give DCA and the WAHS parents some props for a few things, especially given the entire schedule changing Thursday.

1st, Parking far more organized this year. Bravo. Also bravo for finding a place for souvies INSIDE the stadium. warmups more noticeable inside the stadium this year, but I saw far less complaining about that set up, and i know of no formal decree from above that people shut up or ship out. if there was one, i'd have heard. 

quick thoughts on corps:

Columbus Saints have potential, but the show needs to be designed for who they have.

Govies...seemed really tired tonight, but a fun show

Sky....loved all the NYNY references, traffic jam etc...still not sure how a Mary Poppins show ties into NYC, but hey

Gold...circus shows usually turn me off. This one didn't, and the clear A class winner

Sun...see Saints. some cool ideas, but design issues affected achievement

Southern Knights...nice little show! Would have loved to see it with 15 more brass.

Hurcs: vocal clips seemed really soft tonight. Moments of brilliance followed by moments of the opposite.

CT....IMO, criminally underscored. Not saying they should have been the pack above them, but should have been a hell of a lot closer. in fact, the first corps to truly move the crowd

Fusion...really good run tonight, lots of improvement to the show. 

Bush...percussion on fire. Brass had some issues, but another fun show. I'd love to see them come out with 50 brass from day 1 some year

White Sabers....another good show. Came a long way conceptually, and all phases performed really well.

Cabs...gotta be honest, after Peckville, i was less than impressed. Well, tonight, I got the concept, and they performed well, but eh.....til I saw Louie out there in the original Caballero uniform. Great ending to the show

CV....seemed like they were trying too hard. Also, were some sound files missing? the zeus intro seemed to come out of nowhere since nothing had been heard since the first one. still well prepared and performed

Bucs...yup. IMO, wasn't ever really in question. Bonus props to their fanbase for the candles at the end of the show

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ae4650c104fb39bfae5

you're right, when you get snarky, nobody cares Dwight

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Our final competitive corps of the evening, competing in DCA Open Class, is the Reading Buccaneers from Reading, Pennsylvania. Here is their 2019 program information [...]

Dans Ma Chambre

That a corps could program a show titled with this visual pun and not include Camille Saint-Saëns and Brian Wilson in the repertoire is astonishing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Free Players and Caballeros Alumni took up most of that time, although there was another 10 minutes of unnecessary delay after that.

(The Buccaneers parents next to me Were. Not. Happy. with the Cabs Alumni and kept grumbling about how they were a waste of time.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Poppycock said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ae4650c104fb39bfae5

Someone needs a binkie...

”I don’t like it so no one else should either... waaaa..”

not sure if whine fest is directed at DCA or Honor Guard award... just realized I might be only one here who did Honor Guard duties a few times as work and other things kept me from due corps full time. More fun playing horn but got to be with the corps and help out setting up practice field, etc. Carried saber or if our American flag carriers back was acting up I carried the colors....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1