2019 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

gotta hate when facts eat up someone's misinformed rant

Well, I think the parents next to me (1) were tired after a very long day and (2) had some definite anti-Cabs bias.

(During the competition, they were texting a friend about how they couldn't understand why the Cabs were ahead of the Sabers.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

On 9/2/2019 at 2:17 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

This year at Prelims, it was the mother of a Carolina Gold member, who kept referring to the groups as "bands" and who was quite flummoxed when those of us near her told her that her plan of heading up to stand in front of the press box to get a better video of her son's performance would probably result in her getting kicked out. (Don't get me wrong! She was very nice. Just not very well informed, for which the corps presumably should take some blame.)

I think this may cross over into about 3 of the current threads here. I am heavily involved with Gold and I am proud of all our "Band Parents" who drove over 9 hours each way to come see their kids band show.  This year we had over 20 parents come  up to Williamsport, the most support this corps has ever had at finals, They all probably spent at least $500 to come support DCA. So while the overall trend may be lower attendance at finals, Attendance from Gold fans is at an all time high.  It has been 13 years since a DCA corps from the North came to visit NC (and people on here still complain about that show) so the parents and marchers have no idea what DCA is and wonder why none of the corps there have every been to Nightbeat.  Most of the parents know their kids weren't ready for Carolina Crown  and are thrilled to find out there is a cheaper and less time intensive option.,   We were probably the youngest corps there in member age, but a young corps with lots of enthusiastic parents supporting it is good news for the future of DCA.    Since we don't have anyone hanging around to ground these parents in  DC tradition,  we need all the band parent support we can get, I think the support the kids get from these parents shows up on the field where they put it all out for all the Gold shirts in the stands supporting them,

Edited by totaleefree
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I can't speak to averages, but as often as not in my attendance of DCA Prelims and Finals each year going back to 2012, I find the people I'm talking to sitting next to me are parents. This year at Prelims, it was the mother of a Carolina Gold member, who kept referring to the groups as "bands" and who was quite flummoxed when those of us near her told her that her plan of heading up to stand in front of the press box to get a better video of her son's performance would probably result in her getting kicked out. (Don't get me wrong! She was very nice. Just not very well informed, for which the corps presumably should take some blame.)

Thanks for the info. We went with a group which bought the more (most?) expensive tickets so figure it would be an older crowd around us.

lol last corps show my dad went to was DCA Finals 1979 at Hershey (20 minutes from the house). Guess who was with a corps that night for what we thought was for the last time... At least they knew enough to call them corps lol..

36 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I think this may cross over into about 3 of the current threads here. I am heavily involved with Gold and I am proud of all our "Band Parents" who drove over 9 hours each way to come see their kids band show.  This year we had over 20 parents come  up to Williamsport, the most support this corps has ever had at finals, They all probably spent at least $500 to come support DCA. So while the overall trend may be lower attendance at finals, Attendance from Gold fans is at an all time high.  It has been 13 years since a DCA corps from the North came to visit NC (and people on here still complain about that show) so the parents and marchers have no idea what DCA is and wonder why none of the corps there have every been to Nightbeat.  Most of the parents know their kids weren't ready for Carolina Crown  and are thrilled to find out there is a cheaper and less time intensive option.,   We were probably the youngest corps there in member age, but a yhoung corps with lots of enthusiastic parents supprting it is good news for the future of DCA.    Since our execvutive director has made it his mission to drove off alumni and make volunteers feel unwelcome we don't have anyoone hanging around to ground these parents in  DC tradition,  we need all the band parent support we can get, I think the support the kids get from these parents shows up on the field where they put it all out for all the Gold shirts in the stands supporting them,

Mid 2000s had a former corpsmate march with CG and some of their members did Westshoremen Alumni in the spring. Next couple of years one of the baris and I would make an effort to talk to each other before the Baltimore parades. Glad to see the corps win even if I’m a Govies fan lol.

Have relatives in Wake Forest area and was down there for graduation the other month. That trip is a pain in the .... and I live south of Williamsport (across from Harrisburg)

9 hours ago, totaleefree said:

I think this may cross over into about 3 of the current threads here. I am heavily involved with Gold and I am proud of all our "Band Parents" who drove over 9 hours each way to come see their kids band show. [...]

Again: she was super friendly! And enthusiastic! (And planning to attend the Alumni Spectacular on Sunday, where I hope she didn't hear too much of the dinosaur grumbling.) She and her family recently moved (far) out of state to where the two closest drum corps, both in DCI's Open Class, are more than 300 mjiles away, and she was asking for advice on who to talk to on how to launch a corps in her area. I think someone in the crowd put her in touch with Alan Buell.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, Jeff Ream said:

Cabs...gotta be honest, after Peckville, i was less than impressed. Well, tonight, I got the concept, and they performed well, but eh.....til I saw Louie out there in the original Caballero uniform. Great ending to the show

That, for me, was the moment of the DCA season... probably the last 10 DCA seasons or so.  I got chills... #### near started crying, and that doesn't happen often with me... even though I knew it was coming. (Lou had filled me in before the performance.  LOL)

The perfect way to end that show, with one of the all-time Caballero icons playing a starring role.

Edited by Fran Haring

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Oh please. Here's what the "drum corps crowd" was doing today during the Alumni Spectacular: shouting out loud enough for everyone in the auditorium to hear that the alumni corps were the only real corps left because they didn't need amplification.

And there a number of current corps performers in the audience. How nice for them.

I enjoyed the alumni show... but yeah, I heard that ridiculous stuff. "Now there's a real drum line" and so forth. 

I saw and heard plenty of "real drum lines" at Finals Saturday night.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, VOReason said:

But it seemed like all the corps were completely lined up for retreat, and the Cabs Alumni drum line kept going...and going...and going...and going.  I realize that you had to give time for the color guard dance off (BTW...was there a trophy for that?), however I am sure that some members of the Cabs Alumni’s drum line will be spending the rest of their Labor Day weekend soaking their wrists in epsom salt.

They've been playing that street beat for so long, that was nothing, and they came back the next day to play the Alumni Spectacular.

21 hours ago, bcc said:

I'm a member of the Cabs Alumni, and we were instructed by DCA that we had to fill up 25 minutes at our finals exhibition, hence the inclusion of three parade tunes after our concert number.

"Presenting their 2019 program, '25 Minutes For 25 Years"... 😄

• Haha 3