When Judges Go Bad: Who Really Should Have Won

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The ones I'd change:

1989 -Phantom Regiment

1996 - no tie, just Phantom Regiment

2008 - Blue Devils (The judges fell for the hype, Phantom was SO dirty. Another emotional win)

2016 - Carolina Crown (DSU had no business winning imo, too dirty. Another emotional win)

I’m totally in agreement except for 2016. Crown 2nd, BD 3rd.

2008 was the most egregious mistake of the bunch imo.

I was going to start another thread but title it "in an alternate universe"

Not to claim the judges "got it all wrong" but, when appropriate I will list another show I feel had the chops to win but didn't.  There are a few that I think there was no contest with the champ and I will list those as well.

1987. Santa Clara Vanguard- beautiful, powerful, accessible show. I didn't do a frame by frame with the Cadets but I feel like this show is championship quality.

1989. Phantom Regiment- SCV did a rehash a year later. Come On.

1996. Phantom Regiment (alone)- one of the best musical shows I have ever heard.

2000. Cadets (Alone)- my gold standard drum corps and still gets my nod for the best all around DCI show of all time. Niagara falls looked cool but wasn't as good musically

2001 Cavaliers- it seems they should have dominated 01. BD/Cadets not close

2002- Cavaliers. See 01 but better musically (I personally like 01 better though)

2003 Cavaliers- Can't win 4 a row but this show had the chops to do it.

2004 Cavaliers- In a time that pushing drill to the limit reigned supreme- Cavaliers were king. No other 04 show was even close

2005. Blah. No thanks. Pass.

2006 Phantom Regiment- this show really is beautiful and did have the chops to win.

2007- Cadets. Ok. Unlike most years where I can accept the champ...I really do feel like the Cadets should have won in 07. Unfortunately nobody likes incessant narration.

2008- Blue Devils. But I am very happy with the legend of the PR Spartacus show.

2009- Blue Devils- Dominant with what I feel is their best show of the century so far.

2010- Cavaliers. Mad World. One of the few total package championship caliber Cavalier shows.

2011- Blue Devils- One of the most liked and accessible BD shows of its time and it gets...2nd place. No wonder they followed it up with Cabaret Voltaire

2012- Carolina Crown- one of the most beautiful masterpieces to ever take the field...I know... Percussion. There's always next year right Crown?

2013- Cadets- It really was Crowns year but if not I could see this show taking it all.

2014-SCV. Not going to subtract from the pedigree of 2014 BD...but this SCV show was extremely well performed and well balanced

2015- Bluecoats- Honestly I think a legitimate case can be made for any of the top 4 winning in 2015 but my choice is Kinetic Noise. The musical arrangements and GE flow of this show was perfect. Music Technology was used in a way never seen before. Percussion and brass were on point...etc.

2016- SCV- This was probably the best performance for any corps of the year and it had good GE to go with it.

2017- Metamorph- in retrospect there is no other answer. This is a great BD show and Ouroboros was technically very good but didn't have the punch to contend. And below that It Is and Men from Mars. Hard Pass to both.

2018- Bluecoats- I do think the judges made the right choice with SCV but I think Bluecoats had a strong enough show to win too.

2019- Bluecoats- They scored higher than the champs in GE and Music and still didn't win. Yes BDs percussion was killer but otherwise they were just stronger on the sheets visually. I'm personally more of a Cavies 06 visuals kind of girl...so...Hard to swallow especially considering the difference in brass and music analysis. Probably my 2nd choice after 07 for championship change.

so really I would only riot and push for change in 07 and 19 otherwise these are just championship caliber shows regardless of the actual champion.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 5

2019 Bluecoats. I still dont see how this Devils show beat Bloo. Not close to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ajlemm said:

The biggest travesty for me was 1989. Granted, SCV’s Phantom of the Opera was a beast of epic proportions, but Phantom Regiment got robbed by .4 points, mainly because SCV played much of the same music from the year before. You can disagree if you like, but my judgement is beyond reproach, according to the post guidelines! 😄

And worse is that the '88 version of POTO was SO much better than the '89 version, so it felt like Phantom got nailed by a sub-par show.

• Like 2

What do I know, but hey I get to be king, so... Here's what I'd change:

• Phantom Regiment 1989 - There were some weird mistakes in SCV's finals performance, at least what the video allowed me to witness. That, plus Regiment's brassline, gives them the edge. In most ways, SCV 1988 was the better show.
  • Cadets/Cavaliers Tie in 1992 -- The only knock I have about Cadets at finals was the tuning. And they were given a brass score reflecting that. Other than that, a perfect guard, a wonderful drumline, and a level of GE that was really amazing -- all great reasons to tie a Cavies corps with wonderful battery writing and a really solid program (especially the opener and closer).
  • Cadets/BD Tie in 1997 -- Of course BD was cleaner and smooth. Cadets put out probably their craziest show in terms of speed, and it was glorious, even if it costed them in achievement, but dang it it balances out in a (tied) win!
  • SCV 1999 outright -- I don't think I need to justify 🙂
  • Cavies 2000 outright - At least on finals night. A forward-thinking program that peaked at the right time.
  • Phantom Regiment 2006 - I thought the Cavies show was clever and obviously well performed, but that Regiment show jumped off the field and was performed with similar skill.
  • Cadets 2007 - They did the hard work all summer to sell a show that was mocked out loud in stadiums nationwide. One of the loudest shows I've ever heard, and performed with a fantastic level of energy. The 2nd half of BD's show, at least until the last minute, just sat there.
  • Crown 2009 - A charismatic show that took their program to the next level in the corps' decade-long slow build that peaked in 2013. Just loved this show.

2007 Phantom Regiment was at another level compared to everyone else that night.  They should have won hands down IMHO.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

Only started following in 06.

2006 - Cavaliers

2007 - Cadets

2008 - Phantom

2009 - Carolina Crown

2010 - Cavaliers

2011 - Cadets

2012 - Blue Devils

2013 - Carolina Crown

2014 - Blue Devils

2015 - Blue Devils

2016 - Bluecoats

2017 - Santa Clara Vanguard

2018 - Bluecoats

2019 - Bluecoats

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

2007 Phantom Regiment was at another level compared to everyone else that night.  They should have won hands down IMHO.

I can actually agree with this 

38 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

What do I know, but hey I get to be king, so... Here's what I'd change:

• Phantom Regiment 1989 - There were some weird mistakes in SCV's finals performance, at least what the video allowed me to witness. That, plus Regiment's brassline, gives them the edge. In most ways, SCV 1988 was the better show.
  • Cadets/Cavaliers Tie in 1992 -- The only knock I have about Cadets at finals was the tuning. And they were given a brass score reflecting that. Other than that, a perfect guard, a wonderful drumline, and a level of GE that was really amazing -- all great reasons to tie a Cavies corps with wonderful battery writing and a really solid program (especially the opener and closer).
  • Cadets/BD Tie in 1997 -- Of course BD was cleaner and smooth. Cadets put out probably their craziest show in terms of speed, and it was glorious, even if it costed them in achievement, but dang it it balances out in a (tied) win!
  • SCV 1999 outright -- I don't think I need to justify 🙂
  • Cavies 2000 outright - At least on finals night. A forward-thinking program that peaked at the right time.
  • Phantom Regiment 2006 - I thought the Cavies show was clever and obviously well performed, but that Regiment show jumped off the field and was performed with similar skill.
  • Cadets 2007 - They did the hard work all summer to sell a show that was mocked out loud in stadiums nationwide. One of the loudest shows I've ever heard, and performed with a fantastic level of energy. The 2nd half of BD's show, at least until the last minute, just sat there.
  • Crown 2009 - A charismatic show that took their program to the next level in the corps' decade-long slow build that peaked in 2013. Just loved this show.

I would still take SCV 1997 over either Cadets or BD.  That show had the emotional edge of a true champion.