When Judges Go Bad: Who Really Should Have Won

Extremely emotional take but Crown in 2012. I understand Blue Devils had a superior color guard and percussion but boy I can't stand that show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I had a hard time accepting that Inferno didn’t win the Gold. I have not liked some of the other finishes but that one felt decidedly wrong.

I thought Session 44 was underscored relative to BD but some will disagree. But the Inferno thing still ruffles my feathers.

Idk, for me inferno didn't have the member talent and insane music book and visual design that Power of 10 had (in terms of cleanliness and music book difficulty/achievement) nor did it have the conceptual depth/complexity that Ink had. Had it not been for the fact that the Cadets had a director who basically self sabotaged the show with those black unis, I think the Cadets would've taken the silver that year and possibly the gold. 

Inferno had the audience appeal much like Tilt did, but it takes more than just GE to win a championship. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Idk, for me inferno didn't have the member talent and insane music book and visual design that Power of 10 had (in terms of cleanliness and music book difficulty/achievement) nor did it have the conceptual depth/complexity that Ink had. Had it not been for the fact that the Cadets had a director who basically self sabotaged the show with those black unis, I think the Cadets would've taken the silver that year and possibly the gold. 

Inferno had the audience appeal much like Tilt did, but it takes more than just GE to win a championship. 

Yeah I love that show but inferno had tons of weaknesses. I remember thinking a good portion of the season this was a 5th place show. It's still amazing the life the kids breathed into it.

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Giant rotating box drill didn't work for you? I agree the giant rotating pyramid drill next year was even better, but still.

Dirty....dirty...dirty....especially when compared to Dada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sideways said:

1990....Cadets I am fine with cleaner than anyone else and a solid all around design.  From the videos I've seen Star performed out of their minds on finals but seemed to be caught in the "too far back to be taken seriously"

1993...Cadets with their most epic show ever.  Star with the most legendary show ever.  Coin flip and I'd be happy either way.  One more night though and I think both lose to Phantom Regiment...that finals run was something special.

2007...Cadets if they ever shut up.   BD was not perfect but had the better run finals night and the performance captions reflect it.

2012...Honestly I had BD winning by 2+ points.  Crown was beautiful musically but the visual program was lacking a big punch...color choices I felt really hurt them.

2017...Worst BD show to win but SCV seemed a bit flat at finals when BD came to play.  SCV had the better show but the better performance was BD at finals...still can't stand the visual package.

2018...SCV in a walkoff!  I would put Babylon up against any 99+ point show and still bet on it.  BD and Bluecoats were both really strong and kept SCV from breaking 99

I really like your take on things. Just wanted to comment on a few of these years.

• 1990 - Cadets were definitely the cleaner corps, but you can definitely make a case that Star could have won. Star of Indiana could have won from 1990 - 1993. It didn't happen, but there is an argument to be made.
  • 1993 - I definitely think the rain hurt some performances. Star and Cadets did not have clean Finals runs. Monster shows by both. The Cadets visual program in 93 was really the height of what I call the whiplash or "run & gun" era. And Star was the future in so many ways. But if that Finals show was judged by today's sheets I do believe Phantom Regiment would have won. Much cleaner finals run and still tons of GE. In the end, the two best corps of that summer were Cadets and Star, and while Cadets got the nod, Star definitely changed the activity much the way Garfield did in 1982/83. 
  • 2007 I still give to Cadets, but you're right...the narration was cringe worthy and totally ruined that show for many fans. What a shame. What a corps!
  • 2012 I have to admit I have not been a big fan of Blue Devils 2012, but with a lot of people I respect on here talking about that show more and more, I am beginning to explore it once again. I know other BD fans loves it, too. I decided to watch it in full the other day. I definitely dig it much more now. I had forgotten how harmonically beautiful the 2nd tune was (after the opening hits). They are constantly moving, too, and the overall visual program is way beyond what Crown did that year. I agree, too, that Crown's color choices were not to their advantage. Definitely going to watch more 2012 BD to get a better feel for the show. But I really love Crown's music from that year.
  • 2018 - I could see this. SCV was awesome. I wasn't as fond of the first 3 or 4 minutes, but the rest of this show was unreal. What an ending! It is one of my top 10 endings of all time. Performance wise they were a beast.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You've convinced me. No matter how much I love a show, when the judges make their final decision, I should definitely change my mind to agree with them.

Around the World in 80 Days really was the best film of 1956 and not a giant bore!

Like I said previously....I don’t care what you feel. And like wise. 

6 hours ago, MikeN said:

This is a really weird hill to die on.  Everyone from the OP on down has pretty much been having fun with this.  (No, I don't actually believe 1989 was rigged.  But I do think Phantom should have won.  So there.)  Embrace the hyperbole!

Mike

Having fun on dcp forum is all about fun. That memo needs to got out to a lot of users. 

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

2007 I still give to Cadets, but you're right...the narration was cringe worthy and totally ruined that show for many fans. What a shame. What a corps!

Cadets 2008 make Cadets 2007 look better in retrospect: at least they didn't use that narration.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Having fun on dcp forum is all about fun. That memo needs to got out to a lot of users. 

Including you, apparently.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1