When Judges Go Bad: Who Really Should Have Won

• 1 year later...

Once upon a time in the old days, when tics were still deciding the game,  two corps finished with the same score. Some people were angry, some were shocked and amazed.

One fan asked Pepe Notaro, the legendary Skyliner French Horn soloist and instructor of multiple corps, what he thought of this anomaly. His reply:

"Tie? Jeez, I thought it was a lot closer than that!"

Conclusion: Don't let's take ourselves too seriously.

Edited by ironlips
punctuation
  • Haha 2

On 12/13/2020 at 9:33 AM, ironlips said:

Once upon a time in the old days, when tics were still deciding the game,  two corps finished with the same score. Some people were angry, some were shocked and amazed.

One fan asked Pepe Notaro, the legendary Skyliner French Horn soloist and instructor of multiple corps, what he thought of this anomaly. His reply:

"Tie? Jeez, I thought it was a lot closer than that!"

Conclusion: Don't let's take ourselves too seriously.

I just read that in his voice...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

I just read that in his voice...

me too

• Like 1

I don't know if this counts as "going bad", but...

Most who knew Pepe remember him as a performer, DM and/or instructor. He excelled at all of these things, and his Yogi Berra-like pronouncements were legendary. I wonder, though, how many recall that he was also a brass judge in the Northeast Circuit.

Back in the mid-70s, we did a "Class B" show together in CT. The corps were novice level, some showing promise, others not so much. An instructor for one of the latter teams approached Pepe at the critique, looking like the most downtrodden man on the planet.

"Pepe", he said, shaking his head, "I'm at my wit's end. I teach them, break it down, practice...they start to sound a little better, then they get in a contest and..." His voice trailed off. His mouth moved, but no sounds emerged.

Finally, he managed to ask, "What should I do? This happens week after week."

Pepe smiled the Pepe smile, rocking his head side to side. "Tell you what", he replied, as the instructor waited anxiously for the answer to his dilemma, "Why don't you just take those kids down to the sporting goods store, get some bats, balls and gloves, and start a Little League team?"

The guy's expression is etched in my mind to this day.

The fore-going is absolutely true. I swear on my Bach 3C.

• Thanks 2