When Judges Go Bad: Who Really Should Have Won

8 minutes ago, Sideways said:

I would still take SCV 1997 over either Cadets or BD.  That show had the emotional edge of a true champion.

A wonderful show, too.  That ending!!!

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

2007 Phantom Regiment was at another level compared to everyone else that night.  They should have won hands down IMHO.

LOVE that show sooooo much!

1 hour ago, chris ncsu said:

What do I know, but hey I get to be king, so... Here's what I'd change:

• Cadets/Cavaliers Tie in 1992 -- The only knock I have about Cadets at finals was the tuning. And they were given a brass score reflecting that. Other than that, a perfect guard, a wonderful drumline, and a level of GE that was really amazing -- all great reasons to tie a Cavies corps with wonderful battery writing and a really solid program (especially the opener and closer)..

2000 or 92?

Ok, I'll get opinionated.  😄

1987 - Cadets. Waaay more sophisticated than SCV.
1988 - Blue Devils.  Madison had a legendary closer, but BD brought a full show's worth of highlights.
1989 - Phantom Regiment.  Felt like the fix was in, no matter how ragged SCVs performance was.
1990 - Cadets.  However, Star really felt like the breakout corps against some pretty "typical" corps fare above them.
1991 - Star of Indiana.  Can't argue.
1992 - Cavaliers.  That visual program just killed everyone else.
1993 - Star of Indiana.  Cadets were good.  Star was revolutionary.  And good.
1994 - Blue Devils.  Peak BD for me.  Still waiting for them to have as good a program.
1995 - Cavaliers.  Their music *and* visual program just killed everyone else.
1996 - Phantom Regiment - heart beats head, at least this year.  It would be decades before a finals performance brought this much passion.
1997 - Blue Devils.  By a hair over the Cadets.
1998 - Blue Devils.  One Hand One Heart just felt like a championship show from top to bottom, and they nailed it.
1999 - Blue Devils.  Showed SCV and BD to a non-corps fan once, and they said BD just crushed SCV; that BD performed like they knew they'd already won.
2000 - Cadets.  Peak Cadets for me.  Awesome show with no weaknesses.
2001 - Cavaliers.  Their visual was head and shoulders above.  Not sure why this one gets so little love.
2002 - Blue Devils.  With the benefit of hindsight, BD was better in music than the Cavaliers were in visual.
2003 - Cavaliers.  As awesome as BD's opener was, the rest of the show is meh.  Cavaliers took their visual program to a whole new level.
2004 - Cavaliers.  It shouldn't have worked, but it did.  BD's show was a bit of a mess design-wise, but you can see them working out the kinks.
2005 - Cadets.  Can't argue.  Deservedly legendary.
2006 - Phantom Regiment.  Cavaliers deserve all the visual credit, but their music book was one of the worst designed championship shows I've seen.  Phantom nailed it start to finish.
2007 - The Cadets.  Don't want to give them credit for the narration... but fine, home-stadium advantage pipped them here.
2008 - Phantom Regiment.  I was there.  Not sure it should have been even as close as it was.
2009 - Blue Devils.  For all the Crown love, there's only about 90 seconds where they just crush it.  Not enough to beat BD.
2010 - Cavaliers.  Mad World's music book was head and shoulders above BD's.  Cavs "what they played" was better than BD's "how they played it."
2011 - Cavaliers.  They had it all that year, and while Cadets had a deservedly Hall of Fame visual book, their music wasn't on par with everyone else.
2012 - Carolina Crown.  They had it all.  BD... again, I'm not buying what they're selling.
2013 - Carolina Crown.  Manages to just hammer home the musical tribute to modern composition.
2014 - Blue Devils.  When BD manages to marry audience-favorite music and visual with their obsessive attention to detail, they're unstoppable.
2015 - Carolina Crown.  Dirty show or not, their drums got a bit unfairly maligned.  
2016 - Bluecoats.  They probably should have added a Box 6 for the GE.
2017 - Blue Devils.  I wanted SCV to win with their otherworldly music and visual, but BD, like in 2014, combined friendly music and movement with their cleanliness...
2018 - Santa Clara Vanguard.  Babylon is a friggin' delight.  End of story.
2019 - Bluecoats.  No way no how BD, for as great as their music was this year, was in the same box as Bluecoats for GE.

Mike

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Ok, I'll get opinionated.  😄

1987 - Cadets. Waaay more sophisticated than SCV.
1988 - Blue Devils.  Madison had a legendary closer, but BD brought a full show's worth of highlights.
1989 - Phantom Regiment.  Felt like the fix was in, no matter how ragged SCVs performance was.
1990 - Cadets.  However, Star really felt like the breakout corps against some pretty "typical" corps fare above them.
1991 - Star of Indiana.  Can't argue.
1992 - Cavaliers.  That visual program just killed everyone else.
1993 - Star of Indiana.  Cadets were good.  Star was revolutionary.  And good.
1994 - Blue Devils.  Peak BD for me.  Still waiting for them to have as good a program.
1995 - Cavaliers.  Their music *and* visual program just killed everyone else.
1996 - Phantom Regiment - heart beats head, at least this year.  It would be decades before a finals performance brought this much passion.
1997 - Blue Devils.  By a hair over the Cadets.
1998 - Blue Devils.  One Hand One Heart just felt like a championship show from top to bottom, and they nailed it.
1999 - Blue Devils.  Showed SCV and BD to a non-corps fan once, and they said BD just crushed SCV; that BD performed like they knew they'd already won.
2000 - Cadets.  Peak Cadets for me.  Awesome show with no weaknesses.
2001 - Cavaliers.  Their visual was head and shoulders above.  Not sure why this one gets so little love.
2002 - Blue Devils.  With the benefit of hindsight, BD was better in music than the Cavaliers were in visual.
2003 - Cavaliers.  As awesome as BD's opener was, the rest of the show is meh.  Cavaliers took their visual program to a whole new level.
2004 - Cavaliers.  It shouldn't have worked, but it did.  BD's show was a bit of a mess design-wise, but you can see them working out the kinks.
2005 - Cadets.  Can't argue.  Deservedly legendary.
2006 - Phantom Regiment.  Cavaliers deserve all the visual credit, but their music book was one of the worst designed championship shows I've seen.  Phantom nailed it start to finish.
2007 - The Cadets.  Don't want to give them credit for the narration... but fine, home-stadium advantage pipped them here.
2008 - Phantom Regiment.  I was there.  Not sure it should have been even as close as it was.
2009 - Blue Devils.  For all the Crown love, there's only about 90 seconds where they just crush it.  Not enough to beat BD.
2010 - Cavaliers.  Mad World's music book was head and shoulders above BD's.  Cavs "what they played" was better than BD's "how they played it."
2011 - Cavaliers.  They had it all that year, and while Cadets had a deservedly Hall of Fame visual book, their music wasn't on par with everyone else.
2012 - Carolina Crown.  They had it all.  BD... again, I'm not buying what they're selling.
2013 - Carolina Crown.  Manages to just hammer home the musical tribute to modern composition.
2014 - Blue Devils.  When BD manages to marry audience-favorite music and visual with their obsessive attention to detail, they're unstoppable.
2015 - Carolina Crown.  Dirty show or not, their drums got a bit unfairly maligned.  
2016 - Bluecoats.  They probably should have added a Box 6 for the GE.
2017 - Blue Devils.  I wanted SCV to win with their otherworldly music and visual, but BD, like in 2014, combined friendly music and movement with their cleanliness...
2018 - Santa Clara Vanguard.  Babylon is a friggin' delight.  End of story.
2019 - Bluecoats.  No way no how BD, for as great as their music was this year, was in the same box as Bluecoats for GE.

Mike

man me and you almost 100% - only difference is 2015 & I get why folks loved Crown

BD certainly would have many fewer championships if you all were judges :laughing:

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, MikeN said:

To be fair, that closer was more than five minutes long and constituted nearly half of their show.

• Haha 2

So if I am KING, then I have Bluecoats winning in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Four-Peat!!!  Everyone cool with that? :lle:

Ok, just kidding (with tons of respect to SCV and BD).

In reality the ones I would change are (but it's a close call with all of these)

• 1980 - 27th Lancers over BD
  • 1989 - Phantom Regiment over SCV by a whisker
  • 1993 - Star of Indiana over Cadets
  • 1995 - Cadets over Cavaliers, with BD in 2nd
  • 1996 - Phantom Regiment only
  • 1999 - BD only
  • 2000 - Cadets only
  • 2007 - Cadets (even with the narration, I had them winning)
  • 2012 - Carolina Crown

1995 Madison.  Their GE as well as their visual should have won that year IMHO.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

2000 or 92?

I meant that they should have tied in 1992.