When Judges Go Bad: Who Really Should Have Won

17 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Not sure what to make of this topic. Judges are horrible at specific years and on finals night? Or people are just mad someone else won? Doesn't matter. As judge Judy says on her show....I don't care what you FEEL!!!!

Wish i could "Like" and "Thanks" this post. 

• Like 2

Meh. Off season banter and something to post about as we goof off at work. It's a harmless thread. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Not sure what to make of this topic. Judges are horrible at specific years and on finals night? Or people are just mad someone else won? Doesn't matter. As judge Judy says on her show....I don't care what you FEEL!!!!

The thread's subject line is a lighthearted joke, I'd say, and the thread itself is an opportunity for people to talk about their favorite shows.

But I would add that in the long run, the decisions of many artistic adjudicators, whether they're called "judges" or "critics", are found wanting. There's almost no painter or author or composer from history who is now well respected but managed to escape the censure of prominent detractors in life or thereafter.

Just yesterday, I stumbled across some old interviews (1970s, I think) with Orson Welles in which he absolutely trashes Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo (1958).

But the experts more recently have acclaimed Vertigo as one the greatest film of all time -- for instance, it won in a poll of more than 1,000 film critics in 2012.

As it happens, I don't care for Vertigo. Am I attacking the critics by saying so? Are the critics attacking Welles by having their say?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

So many...

Cadets clean in 2000

Cadets in 2007, Phantom in 2nd

Cadets out of finals in 2008

Devils in 2009, easy

Crown in 2012

Cadets in 2015, then Bloo, then Crown, Then Devs.

Bloo in 2016 by several points

Vanguard in 2017. Devs not in the top 6.

Vanguard in 2018 by several points

Bloo in 2019, Crown in 2nd.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The thread's subject line is a lighthearted joke, I'd say, and the thread itself is an opportunity for people to talk about their favorite shows.

But I would add that in the long run, the decisions of many artistic adjudicators, whether they're called "judges" or "critics", are found wanting. There's almost no painter or author or composer from history who is now well respected but managed to escape the censure of prominent detractors in life or thereafter.

Just yesterday, I stumbled across some old interviews (1970s, I think) with Orson Welles in which he absolutely trashes Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo (1958).

But the experts more recently have acclaimed Vertigo as one the greatest film of all time -- for instance, it won in a poll of more than 1,000 film critics in 2012.

As it happens, I don't care for Vertigo. Am I attacking the critics by saying so? Are the critics attacking Welles by having their say?

Maybe for some but most are serious. Someone was ROBBED in 1989. That was a quote. Even though the "corp" that won in 89 only lost once....and not to the 2nd place corp. 

Easily, 1988 was the worst decision.     Madison was 4.6 points behind on July 31.

Whitewater, WI                                 DCI
   DCI Midwest                                       

1 Blue Devils                                91.9
    2 Santa Clara Vanguard                       90.2
    3 Madison Scouts                             87.3
    4 Phantom Regiment                           86.6
    5 Velvet Knights                             86.2
    6 Spirit of Atlanta                          80.5
    7 Freelancers                                73.3
    8 Sky Ryders                                 72.2
    9 Florida Wave                               65.9
   10 Troopers                                   65.0

---------------  Monday, August 1  ---------------

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Maybe for some but most are serious. Someone was ROBBED in 1989. That was a quote. Even though the "corp" that won in 89 only lost once....and not to the 2nd place corp. 

Vertigo wasn't nominated for a single Academy Award. Or any other award!

Now it's being acclaimed as the single greatest film ever.

Wouldn't it be reasonable for its modern adherents to argue that it was robbed by the judges of 1958?

18 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

1974 - Anaheim Kingsmen should have won DCI.  Bottle Dance, Shmottle Dance.

Also a very important show when considering the development of design and programming for that time. The way the music was arranged was a real leap in DCI and field scoring in general. A killer show. 

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Also a very important show when considering the development of design and programming for that time. The way the music was arranged was a real leap in DCI and field scoring in general. A killer show. 

We had the O.G. Bobby Hoffman. Sooooo.....

I know......Santa Clara deserved it that year. Had we been a bigger corps things might have been different. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty