When Judges Go Bad: Who Really Should Have Won

19 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

1974 - Anaheim Kingsmen should have won DCI.  Bottle Dance, Shmottle Dance.

We need technology to upgrade old drum corps video to modern standards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

1972 to present..... The Cavaliers. Hahaha! 

I kid! I'll have to think about this one.

You’re nothing if not consistent! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Maybe for some but most are serious. Someone was ROBBED in 1989. That was a quote. Even though the "corp" that won in 89 only lost once....and not to the 2nd place corp. 

I was the one that said Regiment got robbed. It’s all in good fun. You obviously stopped after that word and didn’t see the smiley face at the end of the post nor my subsequent replies.

francis.jpg

17 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Maybe for some but most are serious. Someone was ROBBED in 1989. That was a quote. Even though the "corp" that won in 89 only lost once....and not to the 2nd place corp. 

Nah. It's all in fun. There are a lot of years where there was simply more than 1 great performance/show. Plus many of us are more knowledgeable in one area (i.e. brass or percussion for music majors/minors or those that work in music education) than another (I know nothing about color guard) so when a show that we feel is stronger in our more knowledgeable area doesn't win we might get a little salty.

BUT there may have actually been robbing, rioting and pillaging in 2012 if this call wasn't reversed.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Nah. It's all in fun. There are a lot of years where there was simply more than 1 great performance/show. Plus many of us are more knowledgeable in one area (i.e. brass or percussion for music majors/minors or those that work in music education) than another (I know nothing about color guard) so when a show that we feel is stronger in our more knowledgeable area doesn't win we might get a little salty.

BUT there may have actually been robbing, rioting and pillaging in 2012 if this call wasn't reversed.

Yeah....it'a all good fun when someone says a corp didn't deserve their ring. Yeah...FUN!!!!! Ha ha...

19 hours ago, ye olde sop said:

Easily, 1988 was the worst decision.     Madison was 4.6 points behind on July 31.

Whitewater, WI                                 DCI
   DCI Midwest                                       

1 Blue Devils                                91.9
    2 Santa Clara Vanguard                       90.2
    3 Madison Scouts                             87.3
    4 Phantom Regiment                           86.6
    5 Velvet Knights                             86.2
    6 Spirit of Atlanta                          80.5
    7 Freelancers                                73.3
    8 Sky Ryders                                 72.2
    9 Florida Wave                               65.9
   10 Troopers                                   65.0

---------------  Monday, August 1  ---------------

Who cares. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah....it'a all good fun when someone says a corp didn't deserve their ring. Yeah...FUN!!!!! Ha ha...

I cited 2 shows that I thought SHOULD have won and many others that COULD have won. I never said the other corps didn't deserve their ring. Plus I said (also in the case of these 2 years) that there are often more than one championship caliber show in a season.

...then I went on to say, which applies to 2019 in particular, that I am a little salty because being not as knowledgeable and/or more careless about visual aspects of the show I heard and felt that the Bluecoats were better (but not in Percussion).  But I didn't necessarily SEE which corps was better and visuals are a huge factor especially when both corps are so close. As for 2007 there were clear show design issues.

Before this thread I was thinking of starting a thread about other shows that COULD have won a ring. Worded a bit different to keep the language that implies keeping the linguistics of something such as "1980 27th Lancers were robbed" and saying "wow the 27th Lancers were great in 1980 and certainly championship caliber"

8 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I cited 2 shows that I thought SHOULD have won and many others that COULD have won. I never said the other corps didn't deserve their ring. Plus I said (also in the case of these 2 years) that there are often more than one championship caliber show in a season.

...then I went on to say, which applies to 2019 in particular, that I am a little salty because being not as knowledgeable and/or more careless about visual aspects of the show I heard and felt that the Bluecoats were better (but not in Percussion).  But I didn't necessarily SEE which corps was better and visuals are a huge factor especially when both corps are so close. As for 2007 there were clear show design issues.

Before this thread I was thinking of starting a thread about other shows that COULD have won a ring. Worded a bit different to keep the language that implies keeping the linguistics of something such as "1980 27th Lancers were robbed" and saying "wow the 27th Lancers were great in 1980 and certainly championship caliber"

Sour grapes. That's all I read. Thanks.

• Sad 1