When Judges Go Bad: Who Really Should Have Won

23 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Pretty sure. just like the fun topics on your Cadets. Fun right? 

This is a really weird hill to die on.  Everyone from the OP on down has pretty much been having fun with this.  (No, I don't actually believe 1989 was rigged.  But I do think Phantom should have won.  So there.)  Embrace the hyperbole!

Mike

• Like 3

I'll bite..

1987...30 in percussion...can you spell "conspiracy?"  Cadets and SCV were both great.  SCV was vintage but still modern enough...Cadets were cutting edge in visual.  Still took 30 in percussion to beat SCV by 0.1...just saying  (as I adjust my tinfoil beany)

1988...Madison proved that closing statements are the most important.

1989...SCV...I seem to be in minority feeling the 2nd edition of POTR had the greater emotional edge

1990....Cadets I am fine with cleaner than anyone else and a solid all around design.  From the videos I've seen Star performed out of their minds on finals but seemed to be caught in the "too far back to be taken seriously"

1991...Star no contest

1992...Cavaliers...Star a little to polished and lacking GE but should have been 2nd.  Cadets great finals night GE but tuning in the brass is no way championship material

1993...Cadets with their most epic show ever.  Star with the most legendary show ever.  Coin flip and I'd be happy either way.  One more night though and I think both lose to Phantom Regiment...that finals run was something special.

1994...BD nothing was beating this juggernaut

1995...Cavies just clean enough to push high GE number with a design that was in a different league than Cadets and BD

1996...Finals night belonged to Phantom...any other night BD

1997...SCV had the emotional edge...Cadets had the demand...BD had performance and I am fine with BD winning

1998...Cadets

1999...Seeing SCV live finals night they owned Camp Randall Stadium

2000...Close but Cavies had the better performance finals night

2001...Cavaliers had the better designed show and more GE.  I had BD first with their level of performance and brass though

2002...Cavies

2003...BD another show like 1994 and was not going to be denied

2004...Wanted BD back then but agree with Cavies winning now...such a cool show

2005...Cadets in a blow out

2006...Toss up between the top 3.  Fan favorite BD show, Cavies were at the top of their game...Phantom probably had the best run on a finals night.  OK with Cavies on this one.

2007...Cadets if they ever shut up.   BD was not perfect but had the better run finals night and the performance captions reflect it.

2008...Sparticus was awesome but BD was the better corps.  BD takes the founders trophy

2009...Loved this BD show.  Crown was great as well but never cleaned it enough to push BD

2010...BD was not losing with this show

2011...Cadets win on GE alone

2012...Honestly I had BD winning by 2+ points.  Crown was beautiful musically but the visual program was lacking a big punch...color choices I felt really hurt them.

2013...One of the few BD shows I've like since 2010. Had them with a slight edge over Crown but am OK with Crown winning

2014...BD...felt Cadets at the chops to challenge but every single design choice "He Who Shall Not Be Named"  made doubling down on the patriotic vomit doomed them to third place

2015...Not a huge fan of either BD or Crown this year.  BD definitely performed better at finals.  Honestly Bluecoats had the strongest run at finals but "too weird" to win

2016...Once Bluecoats cleaned up they were in the GE driverseat and never looked back

2017...Worst BD show to win but SCV seemed a bit flat at finals when BD came to play.  SCV had the better show but the better performance was BD at finals...still can't stand the visual package.

2018...SCV in a walkoff!  I would put Babylon up against any 99+ point show and still bet on it.  BD and Bluecoats were both really strong and kept SCV from breaking 99

2019...Cool visual package from BD but the music really left me flat, super clean run at finals.  Bluecoats really had the total package and performance level was on par with BD...not sure why the GE numbers did not separate them more from BD.  I give this one to Bluecoats for #2.

• Like 2

If you won a Championship, and someone feels someone else was a better pick, and that bothers you...you're being paranoid. 

I myself agree with all the judge's decisions on who won the Championship, except for one time. If you were a member of that Corps, then you know which time I'm talking about.

Edited by kkrepps

I had a hard time accepting that Inferno didn’t win the Gold. I have not liked some of the other finishes but that one felt decidedly wrong.

I thought Session 44 was underscored relative to BD but some will disagree. But the Inferno thing still ruffles my feathers.

I am actually OK with the judges’ choices ... except for 1980 ... 27th Lancers were the obvious champions ... every other year they were right on! 😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

good grief. I'm pretty sure this thread is meant to be FUN

Wait? George likes fun now?? 

6 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Nah. It's all in fun. There are a lot of years where there was simply more than 1 great performance/show. Plus many of us are more knowledgeable in one area (i.e. brass or percussion for music majors/minors or those that work in music education) than another (I know nothing about color guard) so when a show that we feel is stronger in our more knowledgeable area doesn't win we might get a little salty.

BUT there may have actually been robbing, rioting and pillaging in 2012 if this call wasn't reversed.

Now imagine if the reverse happened and they announced Crown to win the Ott and then went back and said BD actually won it :laughing:

4 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah....it'a all good fun when someone says a corp didn't deserve their ring. Yeah...FUN!!!!! Ha ha...

You've convinced me. No matter how much I love a show, when the judges make their final decision, I should definitely change my mind to agree with them.

Around the World in 80 Days really was the best film of 1956 and not a giant bore!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sideways said:

2012...Honestly I had BD winning by 2+ points.  Crown was beautiful musically but the visual program was lacking a big punch...color choices I felt really hurt them.

Giant rotating box drill didn't work for you? I agree the giant rotating pyramid drill next year was even better, but still.