Positive Brainstorming/DCA

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

One hurdle in dealing with HS band members and DCA is the "drivability" of the DCA corps from the potential high schools. Being weekend-only, it is not just a couple of camps and then move-in for the summer. There would be a lot more schlepping between the home town of the potential members and the corps. More akin to the old days, actually.  The band I taught actually had one member play snare with C2 and now has been in C1 the past seasons on snare, but I know the first year entailed a lot of driving for him and his parents. 

Which adds another wrinkle...HS kids are a lot less mobile than college and older members. They need parents willing to drive in many cases. Even kids who are driving age are barely driving age, so parents may not be willing to let them drive X hours to rehearsals all year. 

It does shrink the available pool for individual corps, but at least in my area there are so many schools it still leaves a good number of potential members from just about any northeast DCA corps. Figuring out the best way to tap into that market is another matter.

Good point. I was lucky enough to be 2 hours away for both my DCI and DCA days. "The South" is a much harder nut to crack at the moment because we have so few corps. The west coast has no DCA corps since the departure of Renegades. This is where I think DCI could be a huge help because of Soundsport. Grow the business (and it IS a business) organically through both branches. We don't have any Soundsport groups here, but plenty of WGI. I do see tons of groups in Cali and Texas. There's a solution here somewhere (or at least the beginnings of one.) We just have to figure out what exactly it is and then have someone willing to give #### enough to listen.

P.S. - I'm exceedingly grumpy today because I didn't get to work in the shop at all this week. Sorry if I offend anyone with my exceptional grump

DCA has lost four of its champions in about the last 10 years. Something has to be put into place to help keep corps afloat during lean years or other crises that arise. Without enough corps, there simply won't be enough people in the audience at shows, especially prelims and finals.

As for recruiting, which has been mentioned by several other people already, this is the very most important characteristic of any successful drum corps that I have ever been a part of. Recruiting must go way beyond setting up tables at marching band shows. Networking with as many band programs and following up with contacts in a positive way is essential. Drum corps need to have their very best people in charge of the recruiting effort.

One aspect of recruiting that I think is sometimes not given enough priority is retention. Retaining existing members is a part of a successful recruitment effort. Drum corps need to treat their existing membership well and let them know that they value their time and efforts.

Marketing. I have been a band teacher for 23 years and I have never received 1 piece of mail, email, or any other kind of media regarding DCA. I would guess most band directors aren't even aware of its existence, or if they are, they only know of the stories of past decades, which would it be very helpful for the new image of all-age drum and bugle corps.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mick Krackin' said:

DCA has lost four of its champions in about the last 10 years. Something has to be put into place to help keep corps afloat during lean years or other crises that arise. Without enough corps, there simply won't be enough people in the audience at shows, especially prelims and finals.

As for recruiting, which has been mentioned by several other people already, this is the very most important characteristic of any successful drum corps that I have ever been a part of. Recruiting must go way beyond setting up tables at marching band shows. Networking with as many band programs and following up with contacts in a positive way is essential. Drum corps need to have their very best people in charge of the recruiting effort.

One aspect of recruiting that I think is sometimes not given enough priority is retention. Retaining existing members is a part of a successful recruitment effort. Drum corps need to treat their existing membership well and let them know that they value their time and efforts.

Marketing. I have been a band teacher for 23 years and I have never received 1 piece of mail, email, or any other kind of media regarding DCA. I would guess most band directors aren't even aware of its existence, or if they are, they only know of the stories of past decades, which would it be very helpful for the new image of all-age drum and bugle corps.  

Thank you for that last paragraph. This shows the true problem with the DCA model from an outreach and sustainability standpoint. I know MANY people have volunteered to help in any way that they can but DCA seems to be deaf to it. If nothing else, I would think the existing corps would demand some accountability of DCA to the future of their tour. I knew NOTHING about DCA until 2003. I marched my last year of DCI in 1991. I followed drum corps pretty regularly, so I was on the inside and still knew absolutely nothing. That's scary and quite frankly, flat out wrong. A governing body which seemingly has no concern for it's own sustained existence needs serious change. If it wouldn't have been for outreach at CV, I would have not had the opportunity to march again. 

One of the other reason that I think the DCI and DCA combined model works is touched on in your comments regarding retention. If members of DCI don't know there IS a DCA, they have no idea of options after age-out. Combine the associations and have the tours run parallel. Then the current MM's know there are options out there and DCA get's members that may fall off due to not being able to meet the financial or time obligations of DCI plus you get the members who just aren't quite ready. Trust me, even if they leave their DCA corps when they finally get their spot in Open or World class, they WILL remember who helped them get there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick Krackin' said:

Digital marketing is the way to reach High School students. Cost effective targeted ads on Facebook and Instagram, earned media through Twitter and good ole corps social media presence. There are plenty of schools within driving distance of every corps to attract enough members to realize substantial growth.

Without a full-time office staff DCA lacks the ability to provide centralized marketing for the activity. No reason the individual corps can't grow their own product and in turn, bring fans along with them to championships.

Oh yeah, railings at finals stadiums as well.

7 hours ago, Algernon said:

Digital marketing is the way to reach High School students. Cost effective targeted ads on Facebook and Instagram, earned media through Twitter and good ole corps social media presence. There are plenty of schools within driving distance of every corps to attract enough members to realize substantial growth.

Without a full-time office staff DCA lacks the ability to provide centralized marketing for the activity. No reason the individual corps can't grow their own product and in turn, bring fans along with them to championships.

delegation is the key even without a full time staff. if you see anything online from DCA, it's all from one person.yet 2/3 years ago, at a show site with threatening weather, and 99% of DCA admin there, nothing was going online to update fans/spectators about the status of the show.

• Like 1

ok. here's my $0.02.

Point 1. 

Marketing is one thing,  but half that battle is knowing what you are selling.   I'm not certain DCA understands it's product and how to pitch it.  I love seeing vids from years past, and you could truly identify DCA and it's product.  Now it feels and looks a little like DCI, but just not quite.  So I think knowing what it's selling to the students its trying to get into the ranks is a key.   And maybe it truly is a "start here, we'll get you ready for (insert corps name) in two seasons".   Or should it be "come here, we'll teach you how to be the next level entertainer"

But it's my opinion that the overall org needs to get a handle on its mission.  

Lets take a look at the first two points which define DCA on its website.

• The primary function of Drum Corps Associates is to provide an organization of drum & bugle corps with rules and regulations which provide for continuous progress and growth for drum corps.
  • Using entertainment as a primary goal, Drum Corps Associates performances are unique and represent “state of the art” in mass appeal drum and bugle corps.

Once the product and it's purpose is clarified, I think selling it becomes easier. 

I think the corps shoot themselves in the foot with their scheduling in this era. It's tough to sell a part time activity that takes up  7pm fri - 7pm sun, every other week in the fall, and every weekend starting in may.  i honestly think this might be a concern when you look at what how work lives are structured now.  I believe it's most certainly a factor as to why the 25+ year olds are fewer and fewer.  While I understand you can't limit a corps to how it makes its schedule, perhaps scoring where "layered achievement"  takes less presence over "audience communication" could help the entertainment factor, as well as the time needed to clean a DCI Lite show by Sept.  I'm certain after a few seasons of this schedule, burnout sets in.  Which doesn't help to retain members that the groups just spent a season recruiting and training. 

I think there's little to no digital presence of DCA.  Instagram, Twitter.  Yes this is full time job and it requires a strategist that works full time on selling the brand.  So maybe its time for it to become a small full time office.   

The venues and their respective shows, and how they are organized, are simply too far off base in function between operators.  Consistency is key.  And there needs to a more consistent method of show operations and how information in organized and communicated. 

There needs to be an actual cultivation of small groups, and helping them grow.  When new corps are founded, there should be slews of invites to perform at shows instead of fear of having to pay the new faces in the neighborhood.  Help them find ways to develop fanbases, and teach them how to sell it.  So they can bring fans to shows.  

Speaking of payments.  Part of that full time office should be helping to generate sponsorship for all shows and the season.  

Every corps and every show for itself is not an effective way to sell a brand. In an age where consumers expect consistency from a brand, this is paramount that everyone get on the same page to sell it.  

let's look at a DCA bullet from their page.

• Drum Corps Associates strives to provide performers with stimulating and rewarding social experiences, to provide a competitive outlet for performers, and to entertain and excite the audience.  
    Are the days of the personalities that I heard about at the bar via stories gone?  During finals i stood up top of the stands with a fellow Madison alum, and saw many a friend come through I didn't expect to be at finals, and wondered if the membership ever has a similar experience.  Do they know the personalities that help to shape this circuit, or is it only about their 10 minutes on the field?  Does their age group have its own personalities that make DCA as accessible to outsiders now that is was known for?  How does one change that?  Or do they simply remove this line as part of the mission statement? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Algernon said:

I would agree with this statement 100%. And I would truly believe that there are probably folks who are currently or formerly involved that would throw their talents into the volunteer pool to help make that digital marketing take off if DCA would simply ask for the help. I also think you're right in that individual corps should be doing their own marketing in lieu of DCA taking it on. Corps seem to be far more secretive in the last 4 or 5 years. I'm not expecting digital diaries but SOME sort of buzz would be better than not seeing anything until a week before finals.   

• Like 1

As stated before, I can’t imagine the thinking behind not using Drum Corps Planet to maximum advantage. This is the only ‘one stop shopping’ source for all things DCA. Plus, DCP has the eye of the younger audience interested in DCI and other related activities.

For mostly political reasons, I choose not to use Facebook and similar invasive social media sites. But,  I do realize I’m an outsider in this thinking.  All the Twitter, Reddit, etc. places are essential, for sure.

Even if I did participate in Facebook, etc., I’m not about to visit 12 - 20 individual corps pages to get an understanding of what’s out there in the All-Age world. 

Regardless, the immediate task should be creating a good deal more full-size All-Age corps who are ready to exhibit much earlier than mid-June.

9 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I think the corps shoot themselves in the foot with their scheduling in this era. It's tough to sell a part time activity that takes up  7pm fri - 7pm sun, every other week in the fall, and every weekend starting in may.  i honestly think this might be a concern when you look at what how work lives are structured now.  I believe it's most certainly a factor as to why the 25+ year olds are fewer and fewer.  While I understand you can't limit a corps to how it makes its schedule, perhaps scoring where "layered achievement"  takes less presence over "audience communication" could help the entertainment factor, as well as the time needed to clean a DCI Lite show by Sept.  I'm certain after a few seasons of this schedule, burnout sets in.  Which doesn't help to retain members that the groups just spent a season recruiting and training. 

DCA corps schedules based on champs being held Labor Day weekend is an issue around my area, and other near-by states as well.

Band camps here in NJ are often held in August, with school starting around Labor Day (mostly just after). First football games are right after that, and USBands even had a competition this past weekend in CT.

DCA corps are pushing to perfect their shows at that same timeframe as school band camps. A lot of directors I know have a mandatory band camp policy, which makes it tough to march DCA. I've seen a lot of posts over time about excusing band kids for corps rehearsals/performances because it would not be that difficult to learn their spot once corps season is over. That is looking at it backwards. Look at it from the band director perspective, as they are the ones the corps need to get on board.

Who are the kids that are most likely to march drum corps? That would be the top marching band junkies in the program. Probably section leaders and drum majors/guard captains. These are precisely the members needed at band camp to provide the experienced marching perspective and guidance to the newer members.  

What about other activities parents think are just as important to their students that conflict with band camp? If you excuse student A for drum corps, how do you tell student B's parents that their student can't miss band camp for, say, Science camp? Guaranteed to generate calls to administrators...who then will "talk to" the band director, the last thing the band director needs or wants. Having a blanket policy in place provides fairness to all students.

Going back nearly 20 years with the band I taught, our wind arranger at the time almost begged the then-director to recruit some kids for the DCA corps he was teaching. When the arranger went over the schedule, the band director explained to him some of the above, and that was the end of that.

Soooooo, recruiting at USBands shows isn't working out?  Why aren't you PERFORMING at USBands shows?  Or whatever circuit you're attending....

Isn't it an advantage for your corps to have the additional performance experience?  Isn't it an advantage to show what you can actually do in front of the potential members you're looking to recruit?

The show in Bethel, CT yesterday for USBands had a University band in exhibition just before awards.  That to me, is extremely smart recruiting.  Add in a table with literature and some souvies and you're good to go.  That's the grass roots method.  It's the harder path, but it is VERY effective!

• Like 2