Positive Brainstorming/DCA

Watching the NFL pregame show and commercials, they make the fan central in their marketing. I feel like in drum corps, the fans are just along for the ride. If I got a Steelers tattoo, nobody would care. If I got a Blue Devils tattoo, people (if they knew what it was) would ask what year I marched and then doubt that I'm deserving to wear a Blue Devils tattoo.

4 hours ago, supersop said:

Soooooo, recruiting at USBands shows isn't working out?  Why aren't you PERFORMING at USBands shows?  Or whatever circuit you're attending....

Isn't it an advantage for your corps to have the additional performance experience?  Isn't it an advantage to show what you can actually do in front of the potential members you're looking to recruit?

The show in Bethel, CT yesterday for USBands had a University band in exhibition just before awards.  That to me, is extremely smart recruiting.  Add in a table with literature and some souvies and you're good to go.  That's the grass roots method.  It's the harder path, but it is VERY effective!

One potential issue with that...the members of DCA corps these days are far younger than in the past. A good percentage are most likely unavailable due to scholastic commitments, be they HS or college, much as with DCI corps. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, MikeD said:

One potential issue with that...the members of DCA corps these days are far younger than in the past. A good percentage are most likely unavailable due to scholastic commitments, be they HS or college, much as with DCI corps. 

And if corps members are not planning to return in 2020 they have already turned in uniforms and equipment. 

Can just picture “sorry I can’t do the exhibition as my band is competing at that show”.

• Like 1

I think someone mentioned merging with DCI as an all age category. If you can start the season a little later, it might be a good idea to join forces. Would NE corps travel to Indy?

14 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

As stated before, I can’t imagine the thinking behind not using Drum Corps Planet to maximum advantage. This is the only ‘one stop shopping’ source for all things DCA. Plus, DCP has the eye of the younger audience interested in DCI and other related activities.

For mostly political reasons, I choose not to use Facebook and similar invasive social media sites. But,  I do realize I’m an outsider in this thinking.  All the Twitter, Reddit, etc. places are essential, for sure.

Even if I did participate in Facebook, etc., I’m not about to visit 12 - 20 individual corps pages to get an understanding of what’s out there in the All-Age world. 

Regardless, the immediate task should be creating a good deal more full-size All-Age corps who are ready to exhibit much earlier than mid-June.

honestly, DCP is the last place kids go. unless they come here for ammo to make fun of it on Reddit

• Like 2

10 hours ago, supersop said:

Soooooo, recruiting at USBands shows isn't working out?  Why aren't you PERFORMING at USBands shows?  Or whatever circuit you're attending....

Isn't it an advantage for your corps to have the additional performance experience?  Isn't it an advantage to show what you can actually do in front of the potential members you're looking to recruit?

The show in Bethel, CT yesterday for USBands had a University band in exhibition just before awards.  That to me, is extremely smart recruiting.  Add in a table with literature and some souvies and you're good to go.  That's the grass roots method.  It's the harder path, but it is VERY effective!

when a lot of you membership is performing in said band show, it's tough to get the corps to preform there

• Like 2

Would this mean an earlier start to the competitive season (as was in the early days)? OR is the amount of competitions enough to take care of the DCA corps at this time?

18 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Would this mean an earlier start to the competitive season (as was in the early days)? OR is the amount of competitions enough to take care of the DCA corps at this time?

As for early start is the issue number of competitions or corps being ready to start earlier? Thought problem was Corps were  not ready by Memorial Day due to more long distance members 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

There’s a reason why DCI concludes its season before Labor Day. I think it has to do with high school and college performers not being available that late in the summer. Same for adults whose regular employment is professional education at both levels.

It’s time for DCA and it’s corps to seriously consider a different format for determining a champion. Perhaps, one based on highest score for the season. Other ‘reunion-type’ things, like I&E, Alumni, and Hall of Fame Banquets can be fitted in some other way. 

Beginning the season earlier should be a goal, too.

Do you think that the majority of the corps would be in favor of merging with DCI? In years past, there were more corps as well as the S and E portion, so why not .......

Thursday .......Quarterfinals 9 am till?

DCA Prelims 6 PM

Friday............Semi Finals after noon

DCA Finals   7 pm

Saturday....... DCI Finals

Now years ago this would be a problem due to age of most DCA MM's but today? 

Those that do work can get vacation time off to participate in DCA and then watch/support DCI. This gives the DCI MM's a chance to see that they could continue after their DCI age out.

The same activity working together will (hopefully) strengthen the activity for years to come!

• Like 1