Positive Brainstorming/DCA

49 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would need to look at the schedule. I would agree that WC isn't going to budge on anything that makes money unless presented with something that makes MORE money. I think it would have to be something that would be almost a prequel to what is already going on. I'm sure there is an answer that works for everyone. 

DCA is not going to make them what World Class does.

But let's break down DCI week:

Monday Open Class prelims, Tuesday Open Class Finals

Wednesday all the I&E stuff

Thursday prelims goes from 9 am til like 11 PM

Friday Semis goes from roughly 2 PM til...oh lord

Saturday morning/middday Soundsport/Drumline battle stuff, then finals.

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

DCA is not going to make them what World Class does.

But let's break down DCI week:

Monday Open Class prelims, Tuesday Open Class Finals

Wednesday all the I&E stuff

Thursday prelims goes from 9 am til like 11 PM

Friday Semis goes from roughly 2 PM til...oh lord

Saturday morning/middday Soundsport/Drumline battle stuff, then finals.

Translation:

No chance.  :tongue:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Translation:

No chance.  :tongue:

Sometime between the last week in July and the 2nd week in August there has to be some flex room. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be the week on DCI finals. It could be the week before in say, Pittsburgh. Or, if the money is right...which it could be with DCI's marketing, etc., then have it a week after finals. I don't think Finals week is the best case scenario given the current schedule. But surely there is something better than the model that we have now. I would LOVE to have the Open and World Class crowds there for DCA Prelims and Finals but I don't think the logistics work out. So what's the solution? 

15 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Sometime between the last week in July and the 2nd week in August there has to be some flex room. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be the week on DCI finals. It could be the week before in say, Pittsburgh. Or, if the money is right...which it could be with DCI's marketing, etc., then have it a week after finals. I don't think Finals week is the best case scenario given the current schedule. But surely there is something better than the model that we have now. I would LOVE to have the Open and World Class crowds there for DCA Prelims and Finals but I don't think the logistics work out. So what's the solution? 

putting DCA finals before DCI seems like a tragedy.  While the season is indeed long, that seems like you're cutting time off of the season that is needed for other DCA show revenue.  

I guess the tough question is, is labor day needed to allow travel for all of the groups/fans/staff NOT in the Northeast?  

What are the pros/cons of removing DCA from labor day?
Pros...
an earlier weekend means more student members can still march.
Less issue with college stadiums booking for finals

Cons... 
it will likely limit abilities for those 25+.   Which is what DCA was originally set up for. 
It may alienate the mature audience due to the lack of travel day. 
it will kill off those late season shows to be replaced with DCA finals. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I agree about it not being DCI week... also agree that it might be nice to have DCI involved.

I like the "week after finals" idea.  That would put it before schools start going back... and give DCA a "spotlight weekend" for itself.

Of course... as has been mentioned in these threads and other times before... a shortened schedule for the DCA corps might mean a change in how their shows are designed/ taught, and how their offseason programs are structured, to make them "championship-ready" earlier than they are used to.

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree about it not being DCI week... also agree that it might be nice to have DCI involved.

I like the "week after finals" idea.  That would put it before schools start going back... and give DCA a "spotlight weekend" for itself.

Of course... as has been mentioned in these threads and other times before... a shortened schedule for the DCA corps might mean a change in how their shows are designed/ taught, and how their offseason programs are structured, to make them "championship-ready" earlier than they are used to.

And see I thought about that too. Where my inner struggle came in was when I started to think "then we just shift to every weekend a month earlier." It pushes the corps themselves to recruit harder, be more organized and prepared. That seems to be the model the Buccs use and none of us can argue with the results. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

putting DCA finals before DCI seems like a tragedy.  While the season is indeed long, that seems like you're cutting time off of the season that is needed for other DCA show revenue.  

I guess the tough question is, is labor day needed to allow travel for all of the groups/fans/staff NOT in the Northeast?  

Pros...

Cons... 
it will likely limit abilities for those 25+.   Which is what DCA was originally set up for. 

Agreed. Before is probably not the answer. I think the week after is a more viable possible solution to look at. Perfect? No. Worth putting actual thought towards? Possibly.

13 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Pros...

Cons... 

All good points, Chris.

The PGA Tour, starting with the recently-concluded 2018-19 season, restructured how its season was scheduled, to fit all the majors and the FedEx Cup playoffs in before the end of August in order to reduce the TV viewership conflicts with college/pro football. They made it work, but it was not easy... for the players and for some longtime tournament sponsors.

Of course, I am not suggesting that drum corps is on the same level as the PGA Tour.  Heck, drum corps... DCA or DCI... doesn't even register as a blip on the radar screen compared to the PGA Tour.  LOL.

But, I guess my point is... you're right, a restructured DCA schedule would mean some tough decisions, for the corps, show sponsors, and fans.

Edited by Fran Haring

57 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And see I thought about that too. Where my inner struggle came in was when I started to think "then we just shift to every weekend a month earlier." It pushes the corps themselves to recruit harder, be more organized and prepared. That seems to be the model the Buccs use and none of us can argue with the results. 

Sure, we could always start the season at the end of May like we did in the past, but how many corps would just come out, perform a truncated standstill, and swallow the penalty, before they were finally "ready" in late June or early July?  Seems like one...maybe two corps are able to "push themselves", while the other organizations simply want to fall back on excuses about why they cannot.  And yes....look at the results!  The results are that virtually only ONE corps seems to win EVERY year.  And how is that healthy for ANY circuit.  Seems as though DCA needs to sit down with the member corps and see how many are all in.  If the answer is "not that many", then perhaps they should no longer waste everyone's time.

• Like 1