Positive Brainstorming/DCA

40 minutes ago, VOReason said:

Sure, we could always start the season at the end of May like we did in the past, but how many corps would just come out, perform a truncated standstill, and swallow the penalty, before they were finally "ready" in late June or early July?  Seems like one...maybe two corps are able to "push themselves", while the other organizations simply want to fall back on excuses about why they cannot.  And yes....look at the results!  The results are that virtually only ONE corps seems to win EVERY year.  And how is that healthy for ANY circuit.  Seems as though DCA needs to sit down with the member corps and see how many are all in.  If the answer is "not that many", then perhaps they should no longer waste everyone's time.

Valid. But if you push DCA up one week (the week after DCI Finals,) you're only losing a week of rehersal. We've all been there. It's complicated but not something that should be dismissed out of hand IMHO. If the corps aren't all in, then yes that's an issue. My feeling though, is a little better situation for all corps might help stem any wavering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VOReason said:

Sure, we could always start the season at the end of May like we did in the past, but how many corps would just come out, perform a truncated standstill, and swallow the penalty, before they were finally "ready" in late June or early July?  

And how many fans would come back the following year if they sat thru a night with bunch of partial shows?

Let’s not forget one of the reasons for Corps not allowed to have less than 35 members is fans complaining they felt cheated watching very small groups. As one show organizer told me “flat out said not coming back if same thing happened the next year”.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Valid. But if you push DCA up one week (the week after DCI Finals,) you're only losing a week of rehersal. We've all been there. It's complicated but not something that should be dismissed out of hand IMHO. If the corps aren't all in, then yes that's an issue. My feeling though, is a little better situation for all corps might help stem any wavering.

Definitely not dismissing it out of hand. 

But I can all but guarantee that one corps in particular will make whatever adjustments are needed. The name of that corps should be obvious.  LOL. The rest... I would hope they would, too. However, like VO has said... who knows. Everyone else has been playing catchup to that one corps for more than a decade now.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Absolutely!  However it most likely will still not change the results, which have gone from the simply ridiculous, to the absolutely sublime!  Even the most loyal of Yankee fans would have a hard time watching the playoffs if the Yankees won every single championship.  And imagine how crazy it would be if most years they won every single game!

7 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I admire the brainstorming, but from a distance it appears to me trying to save or change it is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.   

If a DCA corps decides to play "Nearer My God To Thee"... then we'll know it's over.  :tongue:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Sometime between the last week in July and the 2nd week in August there has to be some flex room. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be the week on DCI finals. It could be the week before in say, Pittsburgh. Or, if the money is right...which it could be with DCI's marketing, etc., then have it a week after finals. I don't think Finals week is the best case scenario given the current schedule. But surely there is something better than the model that we have now. I would LOVE to have the Open and World Class crowds there for DCA Prelims and Finals but I don't think the logistics work out. So what's the solution? 

I would go the week after DCI. Still pre Labor Day, but not fighting for a spot that isnt 7 am in Indy

6 hours ago, C.Holland said:

putting DCA finals before DCI seems like a tragedy.  While the season is indeed long, that seems like you're cutting time off of the season that is needed for other DCA show revenue.  

I guess the tough question is, is labor day needed to allow travel for all of the groups/fans/staff NOT in the Northeast?  

What are the pros/cons of removing DCA from labor day?
Pros...
an earlier weekend means more student members can still march.
Less issue with college stadiums booking for finals

Cons... 
it will likely limit abilities for those 25+.   Which is what DCA was originally set up for. 
It may alienate the mature audience due to the lack of travel day. 
it will kill off those late season shows to be replaced with DCA finals. 

pros....with more and more school starting pre Labor Day, it's becoming an issue for college kids and HS kids with band conflicts. Band directors don't like emails from administration asking why they have holes at the football game. this can make it easier for kids.

Honestly i do believe air fare would be cheaper if not on a holiday

cons.....missing kids.maybe even missing corps.

5 hours ago, VOReason said:

Sure, we could always start the season at the end of May like we did in the past, but how many corps would just come out, perform a truncated standstill, and swallow the penalty, before they were finally "ready" in late June or early July?  Seems like one...maybe two corps are able to "push themselves", while the other organizations simply want to fall back on excuses about why they cannot.  And yes....look at the results!  The results are that virtually only ONE corps seems to win EVERY year.  And how is that healthy for ANY circuit.  Seems as though DCA needs to sit down with the member corps and see how many are all in.  If the answer is "not that many", then perhaps they should no longer waste everyone's time.

seems to be ok for DCI

3 hours ago, VOReason said:

Absolutely!  However it most likely will still not change the results, which have gone from the simply ridiculous, to the absolutely sublime!  Even the most loyal of Yankee fans would have a hard time watching the playoffs if the Yankees won every single championship.  And imagine how crazy it would be if most years they won every single game!

no they wouldn't. you have little faith in Yankees fans desire to consume championships and brag til they get punched in the face

• Haha 1