Positive Brainstorming/DCA

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I admire the brainstorming, but from a distance it appears to me trying to save or change it is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.   

the change could actually do a lot of good. but the hard part isn't leading the horse to water, it's getting them to drink

• Like 1

As Fran has stated, every corps has been playing catch up to the Bucs for the past 10 years.  But, if you look at the scores the week prior to finals the top 3 corps were within 7/10 th's of each other.  That would be final scores.  I think many fans and participants would be more interested in a final that was as close  as those three were at that time.  JMO.😊

• Like 1

The other issue to look at is the amount of corps participating in a/any show. Years ago when I was with Crusaders, it was the same 4 corps at a show...Cru, ES, Brigs and Grenadiers. If we traveled east we'd see Cabs, Bucs, Bush, etc. But look at today....how many shows are there each week and how many corps participate in each show? Is it safe to say there are 7 to 8 weekends of DCA Competition? Also the corps from the south and Mid west don't come up to northeast every weekend and NE corps have rarely gone south or west. 

So couldn't the DCA season be shortened by 2 or 3 weekends and have their championships the weekend after or before DCI? Now mind you, these aren't concrete idea I have but things I'm throwing out to all of you. I am NO expert and will never claim to be one. I leave that up to the experts! (Whoever they are).

Some of us old timers are always thinking Labor Day weekend because it's tradition. However traditionally DCA was known as the senior corps circuit and comprised of people 22 and older. Today it's a different story. How many young people use DCA corps as a stepping stone to march with the top corps in DCI? How many MM's are over 40? 50? 60 today? How many DCA corps are maxed to the number? 

Can DCA get by with putting out 6 competitions a year that have a great line-up and make it more enjoyable for audience members?

Something else to consider.....almost every rule DCI implements is also implemented with DCA. Also, as DCI corps change the way they present shows, so does DCA corps. The quality maybe less than DCI but still......

Just somethings to ponder and continue the brainstorming about the drum corps activity!

• Like 1

Well, if Labor Day weekend does not work for the corps outside the NE, then they have two choices for establishing an alternate "championship event":

• Convince DCI to run an event for them.  The stadium is already available the day of DCI finals, so run this show earlier that day.  No prelims are warranted for the estimated 7 corps that would do this.
  • Run it themselves.  They could choose which weekend (and location) works best for them.

The NE corps can continue to do DCA Labor Day weekend until schedule conflicts become too great a problem for them too, at which point DCA would either simply reschedule, or re-join with the non-NE corps.

Edited by cixelsyd

So, what would be so terrible about a solid, 8 week long, DCA competitive season that concludes about August 1 ?

An 8 week season of Saturday night events, plus 4-5 Sunday afternoon events.  Seriously. If such a compact season would make attracting performers easier, leading to full size corps and a better stadium product to sell, why not?  Corps are free to find performances beyond that point if they choose.

Almost (if not all) shows on the DCA schedule are sponsored by one of its corps, or DCA itself, so creating a packed 8 week season is an in-house decision that is more than doable right now. To help matters, each member corps can commit to one Friday night bus departure to attend a competition outside their usual comfort zone. Like, perhaps in Ohio or Georgia.

Maybe it's time for DCA to start adapting to the world around it. This ain't 1965.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no they wouldn't. you have little faith in Yankees fans desire to consume championships and brag til they get punched in the face

Coming from a family who is divided among Yankees fans and Mets fans... there is truth here. :tongue:

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

The other issue to look at is the amount of corps participating in a/any show. Years ago when I was with Crusaders, it was the same 4 corps at a show...Cru, ES, Brigs and Grenadiers. If we traveled east we'd see Cabs, Bucs, Bush, etc. But look at today....how many shows are there each week and how many corps participate in each show? Is it safe to say there are 7 to 8 weekends of DCA Competition? Also the corps from the south and Mid west don't come up to northeast every weekend and NE corps have rarely gone south or west. 

So couldn't the DCA season be shortened by 2 or 3 weekends and have their championships the weekend after or before DCI? Now mind you, these aren't concrete idea I have but things I'm throwing out to all of you. I am NO expert and will never claim to be one. I leave that up to the experts! (Whoever they are).

Some of us old timers are always thinking Labor Day weekend because it's tradition. However traditionally DCA was known as the senior corps circuit and comprised of people 22 and older. Today it's a different story. How many young people use DCA corps as a stepping stone to march with the top corps in DCI? How many MM's are over 40? 50? 60 today? How many DCA corps are maxed to the number? 

Can DCA get by with putting out 6 competitions a year that have a great line-up and make it more enjoyable for audience members?

Something else to consider.....almost every rule DCI implements is also implemented with DCA. Also, as DCI corps change the way they present shows, so does DCA corps. The quality maybe less than DCI but still......

Just somethings to ponder and continue the brainstorming about the drum corps activity!

IMO I can hear the argument about cutting the season short: “ but then we lose our weekend to host!”

given the number of weekends only running one show, there’s options to host if that weekend goes away. But tradition sometimes gets in the way of logical thinking 

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, if Labor Day weekend does not work for the corps outside the NE, then they have two choices for establishing an alternate "championship event":

• Convince DCI to run an event for them.  The stadium is already available the day of DCI finals, so run this show earlier that day.  No prelims are warranted for the estimated 7 corps that would do this.
  • Run it themselves.  They could choose which weekend (and location) works best for them.

The NE corps can continue to do DCA Labor Day weekend until schedule conflicts become too great a problem for them too, at which point DCA would either simply reschedule, or re-join with the non-NE corps.

In another thread Terri Schehr said that this was an option being considered by non NE all age corps that already do DCI shows. DCA made it mandatory that those corps would have to attend their Championships in little league town over Labor Day to be allowed to do a contest in Indy during DCI Championships. Some HOF person challenged her about the proposed breakaway. Don’t know how she knew about it 

13 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

In another thread Terri Schehr said that this was an option being considered by non NE all age corps that already do DCI shows. DCA made it mandatory that those corps would have to attend their Championships in little league town over Labor Day to be allowed to do a contest in Indy during DCI Championships. Some HOF person challenged her about the proposed breakaway. Don’t know how she knew about it 

Mandatory?

The non-NE corps already get more shows from DCI than DCA.  If Labor Day weekend creates too many conflicts for marching members, it is "mandatory" that these corps stop killing themselves... even if it means leaving DCA.

48 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Mandatory?

The non-NE corps already get more shows from DCI than DCA.  If Labor Day weekend creates too many conflicts for marching members, it is "mandatory" that these corps stop killing themselves... even if it means leaving DCA.

Yes! When I pushed for more information from a reliable source it was said the president of DCA had a meeting with DCI ED and someone named Susan from DCI, and requested that DCI no longer talk directly with any administration from any all age groups concerning a contest in Indy during Championship week. Also told DCI to only discuss directly through the DCA Office about any show during DCI week in Indy  

If there were to be any contest for all age groups that it would be a DCA show and all competing groups would have to commit to going to little league town to be allowed to complete in the Indy show. 

Essentially DCA blocked the possibility of all age groups forming their own circuit within DCI. The intent of these non NE groups was to begin and end their season the same as the other DCI corps, allowing for more participation and greater recruiting opportunities.

Seems that these groups are concerned more about their existence and well being than DCA is. 

• Like 1