Positive Brainstorming/DCA

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe... if they have learned nothing in the past 55 years.

(To refresh old memories, I believe Jeff is referring to the civil war among top senior corps in 1964-1965, when half the top corps were in DCA and the other half were not.  Both sides bickered and refused to compete with each other, causing corps to pull out of third-party-sponsored shows with short notice, and burning some bridges in the process.)

DCA Championship 9/11/1965 Milford, CT 1.  Buccaneers 84.500 2.  Hurricanes 84.360 3.  Skyliners 83.160 4.  Yankee Rebels 80.250 5.  Interstatesmen 79.950 6.  Rockets 76.950

thats all that showed up

54 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

What sort of reaction does it get.  Not reaction from the people in polos with a patch on them, but the people whom bought tickets.  When it stops being about how the educated ones in the box get it, and becomes about the ones buying tickets, you may see some fun results.

Actual general effect, not perceived general affect.

the Sevierville, TN show had an audience vote.  Where they simply put assigned 1-8 on the sheet of their favorite performance of the night.  And folded it up, and put it into the box.  Someone counted it, and a trophy was then presented. Man, if you had that come as a DCA phone app...  give it 20%.  see what happens. 

so a clap vote. Ok, here's the one flaw with that....location, location, location. Think Cabs get a better reaction in Reading than Bucs will? Think Bucs get a better reaction in Clifton than Cabs will?

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so a clap vote. Ok, here's the one flaw with that....location, location, location. Think Cabs get a better reaction in Reading than Bucs will? Think Bucs get a better reaction in Clifton than Cabs will?

not a clap vote.  a ballot.  an app.  something where one person isn't relying on the person next to them. 

there's a really good app used for competitive karaoke.  its asks for audience input on material shown, performance of it, and best of show.  maybe there will some regional bias...  but what better way to sell tickets or to get your fans to travel?   screw it. get fans to the shows. 

DCA was always the one supposed to be accessible to the fans.  make it so.  

Edited by C.Holland

53 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was trying to get them to open the handicapped bathroom for you and Kris.  I think I ###### a couple of people off.  Oh well. Sleeping okay at night anyway.  💤 

That was it... HC bathroom was behind end zone and no one clued in the volunteer who was (literally) guarding it during Prelims. We went there and he chased us out. He was POed that we were just standing there. Saw Dick Eshelman and he had to get on the walkie talkie to tell the guy it was ok. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Yes! When I pushed for more information from a reliable source it was said the president of DCA had a meeting with DCI ED and someone named Susan from DCI, and requested that DCI no longer talk directly with any administration from any all age groups concerning a contest in Indy during Championship week. Also told DCI to only discuss directly through the DCA Office about any show during DCI week in Indy 

Still not clear to me what power Alan Buell has over DCI that would stop DCI from saying: "We'll talk to whoever we want to, thank you."

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA Championship 9/11/1965 Milford, CT 1.  Buccaneers 84.500 2.  Hurricanes 84.360 3.  Skyliners 83.160 4.  Yankee Rebels 80.250 5.  Interstatesmen 79.950 6.  Rockets 76.950

thats all that showed up

Six of the original seven.

I think Archer-Epler was the seventh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

not a clap vote.  a ballot.  an app.  something where one person isn't relying on the person next to them. 

there's a really good app used for competitive karaoke.  its asks for audience input on material shown, performance of it, and best of show.  maybe there will some regional bias...  but what better way to sell tickets or to get your fans to travel?   screw it. get fans to the shows. 

:thumbup:

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

location location location. Think the Cabs will get less votes than Bucs in Clifton? Think Bucs gets less votes than Cabs in Reading? When you look at a local show, whats the majority of the fanbase in attendance....tied to the local corps. Heck even in Williamsport Bucs had far more visible supporters than any other corps. if you open it up to anyone anywhere, good luck...think vote for Sanjaya. Look at how people push the fan favorite voting for WGI.

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Still not clear to me what power Alan Buell has over DCI that would stop DCI from saying: "We'll talk to whoever we want to, thank you."

power? No. gentelmans agreements? Yes. DCI and DCA need each other, and pissing matches don't help. Plus I believe the DCA bylaws have stuff in there about corps competing in DCI as a DCI corps ( aka not all age division) and trying to do DCA too. It took a long time for DCI and DCA to have a decent relationship. DCI approaching DCA corps and trying to pilfer them into their own circuit would undo a lot of good will built up only in the last less than 20 years. DCA corps approaching DCI wouldn't sit well either

Edited by Jeff Ream