Positive Brainstorming/DCA

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

power? No. gentelmans agreements? Yes. DCI and DCA need each other, and pissing matches don't help. Plus I believe the DCA bylaws have stuff in there about corps competing in DCI as a DCI corps ( aka not all age division) and trying to do DCA too. It took a long time for DCI and DCA to have a decent relationship. DCI approaching DCA corps and trying to pilfer them into their own circuit would undo a lot of good will built up only in the last less than 20 years

I don’t think DCI initiated talks with DCA corps..  I’m pretty sure it was the other way around. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

power? No. gentelmans agreements? Yes. DCI and DCA need each other, and pissing matches don't help. Plus I believe the DCA bylaws have stuff in there about corps competing in DCI as a DCI corps ( aka not all age division) and trying to do DCA too. It took a long time for DCI and DCA to have a decent relationship. DCI approaching DCA corps and trying to pilfer them into their own circuit would undo a lot of good will built up only in the last less than 20 years

OK, but the whole argument underlying the recent discussions in this DCA forum has been that DCA is failing, so what exactly does DCI need from them?

I mean, I get DCA asking DCI for common courtesy, but whatever the interaction was, it's been presented here as DCA strong-arming DCI.

Corps to DCI: Help us, we can't survive in DCA!

DCA to DCI: Don't help them; let them die.

DCI to corps: RIP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t think DCI initiated talks with DCA corps..  I’m pretty sure it was the other way around. 

thanks i had a typo! fixed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, but the whole argument underlying the recent discussions in this DCA forum has been that DCA is failing, so what exactly does DCI need from them?

I mean, I get DCA asking DCI for common courtesy, but whatever the interaction was, it's been presented here as DCA strong-arming DCI.

I don't think DCI initiated anything. I think they were approached. But the two circuits working together for the coomon good is a bonus, because for years, there was serious animosity

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don't think DCI initiated anything. I think they were approached. But the two circuits working together for the coomon good is a bonus, because for years, there was serious animosity

Right. The interaction as I have attempted to summarize it above (based on previous posts we've read) has some DCA corps approaching DCI asking to be allowed to participate in DCI separately from DCA, where they can no longer sustain themselves. And DCA gets DCI to tell the corps: sorry charlie.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

location location location. Think the Cabs will get less votes than Bucs in Clifton? Think Bucs gets less votes than Cabs in Reading? When you look at a local show, whats the majority of the fanbase in attendance....tied to the local corps. Heck even in Williamsport Bucs had far more visible supporters than any other corps. if you open it up to anyone anywhere, good luck...think vote for Sanjaya. Look at how people push the fan favorite voting for WGI.

So what? Encourage your group to bring more fans. Sell more tickets in your block. 

You still have all the other captions of normal judges.  

Be accessible and throw in a way to connect the younger generation. 

But do something to advance the circuit. Hell, rent the app to dci to make some money you can then put into a bigger stadium and some marketing  for finals 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Right. The interaction as I have attempted to summarize it above (based on previous posts we've read) has some DCA corps approaching DCI asking to be allowed to participate in DCI separately from DCA, where they can no longer sustain themselves. And DCA gets DCI to tell the corps: sorry charlie.

it was more than work with DCI. it was get in there and get out of DCA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C.Holland said:

So what? Encourage your group to bring more fans. Sell more tickets in your block. 

You still have all the other captions of normal judges.  

Be accessible and throw in a way to connect the younger generation. 

But do something to advance the circuit. Hell, rent the app to dci to make some money you can then put into a bigger stadium and some marketing  for finals 

location, location, location. if the fan base traveled, we'd be in bigger HS stadiums, maybe even with hand rails

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Is DCA failing or are the corps failing?

DCA is run by the corps and DCA Management is just that...managing DCA for the corps! Unless something has changed. So blame should NOT be on DCA management but on the corps...correct? The corps reps make decisions on what happens each year, changing rules, adopting rules, etc. All Allen and his crew do is manage it the best they can. Now I could be wrong, so if I am, my apologies!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No, that is not quite it.

Some DCA corps already worked out participation with DCI many years ago, and have done so annually ever since.  They can talk to DCI about adding one more show whenever they want.  Frankly, DCA has no right (or reason) to interfere in DCI show scheduling, or to dictate what a DCA corps can/cannot do on weekends when they have no DCA commitments.

The only reason DCA did interfere is because they thought that a DCI championship-week event might become a replacement "finals" for certain DCA corps who find Labor Day weekend increasingly problematic.  Which brings me back to this...

19 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

For any structural change to DCA to occur, a majority of current DCA voting Corps Directors need to accept change is necessary. During my time,  just 6 out of 10 voters needed to agree. Assume that's still how things work.

First of all, is there enough agreement to the premise Labor Day Weekend has become a detriment? 

DCA is demonstrably aware that Labor Day weekend has become a detriment.  Yet, as long as 6 out of 10 voting corps choose to stay the course, it does not matter how detrimental it becomes to the other 4 voting corps, the 4 non-voting entrants, or any other potential participants like MBI or Chops who have already dropped out.

• Like 1