Positive Brainstorming/DCA

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA Championship 9/11/1965 Milford, CT 1.  Buccaneers 84.500 2.  Hurricanes 84.360 3.  Skyliners 83.160 4.  Yankee Rebels 80.250 5.  Interstatesmen 79.950 6.  Rockets 76.950

thats all that showed up

Is that a problem?

If Labor Day weekend only works for 6 corps, then the show should go on with 6 corps.

If the people involved want that event to be larger, then they need more corps who find it practical.  That means they need more corps in areas where school starts later (i.e. the NE), and more corps based near the show site (i.e. the NE).  They would need more NE corps!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Is that a problem?

If Labor Day weekend only works for 6 corps, then the show should go on with 6 corps.

If the people involved want that event to be larger, then they need more corps who find it practical.  That means they need more corps in areas where school starts later (i.e. the NE), and more corps based near the show site (i.e. the NE).  They would need more NE corps!

Where in the NE do schools start after Labor Day? No idea myself

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not NE, but Maryland was pushed to an after Labor Day start statewide. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No, that is not quite it.

Some DCA corps already worked out participation with DCI many years ago, and have done so annually ever since.  They can talk to DCI about adding one more show whenever they want.  Frankly, DCA has no right (or reason) to interfere in DCI show scheduling, or to dictate what a DCA corps can/cannot do on weekends when they have no DCA commitments.

The only reason DCA did interfere is because they thought that a DCI championship-week event might become a replacement "finals" for certain DCA corps who find Labor Day weekend increasingly problematic.  Which brings me back to this...

DCA is demonstrably aware that Labor Day weekend has become a detriment.  Yet, as long as 6 out of 10 voting corps choose to stay the course, it does not matter how detrimental it becomes to the other 4 voting corps, the 4 non-voting entrants, or any other potential participants like MBI or Chops who have already dropped out.

I can see your points. It makes we wonder then, if the reason why DCA corps have not voted to move the finals date is because a good solution has not been presented to sway them. We've all been in business. The rule of thumb is always (for right or wrong,) that things will be done the way they're done until someome comes up with a better way to do them. Problems are easy to find....solutions not so much. And doing something is always better than doing nothing. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Not NE, but Maryland was pushed to an after Labor Day start statewide. 

And with the state legislature reversing that decision in the last session... who knows about next year.  LOL.

I think NJ goes back after Labor Day. At least the districts where my nieces teach do. Of course, NJ schools then go to late June.

Edited by Fran Haring

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

location, location, location. if the fan base traveled, we'd be in bigger HS stadiums, maybe even with hand rails

start somewhere.  innovate and it'll help to grow that fanbase. 

give the corps a reason to bring some more people.   No show will hate increased revenue for a 15% fan vote. 

provide audience interaction that isn't there currently.     Be the fun approachable circuit that it used to be.  

encourage the younger audience to show up since the old one is dying off.   make a connection to the younger fans via technology. 

be positive about something.  try it. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And with the state legislature reversing that decision in the last session... who knows about next year.  LOL.

I think NJ goes back after Labor Day. At least the districts where my nieces teach do. Of course, NJ schools then go to late June.

We were in Finger Lakes NY years ago and saw school buses rolling thru mid to late June. Asked if it was for summer school and told regular school year. Also told lot of snow days up in that area. 

42 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

start somewhere.  innovate and it'll help to grow that fanbase. 

give the corps a reason to bring some more people.   No show will hate increased revenue for a 15% fan vote. 

provide audience interaction that isn't there currently.     Be the fun approachable circuit that it used to be.  

encourage the younger audience to show up since the old one is dying off.   make a connection to the younger fans via technology. 

be positive about something.  try it. 

That's why I would like to see a more solid connection between DCA and DCI. DCI has already begun some of the things mentioned here. DCA could get well ahead of their own typical learning curve by taking notice. That being said, it also requires an administrative staff which DCA does not appear to have (at least in a full time capacity.) 

You're 100% correct...start somewhere. There are some really bright minds in DCA and DCI. Yoke their strength, I think at times, associations like DCI and DCA are afraid to give up some control to entities outside of their internal group. There is plenty of technology out there, plenty of avenues for outreach and I would suspect PLENTY of volunteer hours. Drum Corps folks are a passionate group. At the same time, not every corps is very good at communicating with their alumni and fan base. DCA could help that by creating a volunteer network. 

The circuit isn't approachable (from an outside view at least,) because there is not a large presence of DCA corps at non-DCA events that I am aware of. We have bands which participate in local band circuits here in the south but I do not see CV at those shows representing our activity. The last I saw anything was maybe the GMEA in 2012. CV did do some outreach this year with SOA at one of the Spirit camps. That's not a knock on CV by any means....simply an observation. I would be surprised if outreach in other areas is much different. 

The other thing I think would increase outreach would SOME sort of agreement with DCA to offer discounted ticketing for large groups at shows (and it should be a significant discount,) and with Box5 or whomever does the broadcast for a particular year to offer free streaming for band directors. It costs almost nothing and could potentially have a huge impact on viewership. Band directors are NOT going to step out of their comfort zones without getting something in return and let's face facts that everyone likes "free." Outreach was different in the 80's. We had corps instructors come to our school and talk to us about drum corps. They helped out at camps for little or no money in order to help draw talent to the corps. Volunteerism is free advertising. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

NY and NJ start after Labor Day.  And, I'm not 100% sure but I think schools in New England as well.

• Thanks 1

A few comments:

DCA shows typically pay corps to perform, while DCI all-age events are without pay. Not that it makes a huge difference but getting $1-3K from a show to cover travel can make a huge difference. 

Marketing does not require a full-time office in the age of social media, and the gig economy. As proven by DCI's marketing initiatives, and marketing examples such as Jersey Surf you can have a distributed team of people in varied geographic locations that help support marketing efforts. WIth only tools like Spark, and Canva, and gig sites like fiverr you can get all of your design and promotional needs resolved cheap and easily.

Most recently, I did marketing and promotions for a few years for a major Miami fashion event called "DiveSwimWeek" during Swim Week. This is a VERY high level and high end fashion event featuring new designers like chromat and more. 1.) I never step foot in Miami 2.) there were two interns who helped post content 3.) we developed all of our marketing content MONTHS in advance and scheduled it out so the work during the events was based on engaging the audience. Keep in mind - this is not my full time job and completely unrelated to my day job.

I've done marketing for a major DCI show for five years; after the second year, they stopped physical advertisements and went solely to only advertisements. 8 World Class corps including BD and Bluecoats; a budget of $500, coupled with about 60 man hours over the course of 8 month and we helped grow the events ticket sales year after year topping off at 3600; with 1800 pre-sale tickets EVEN WITH THREAT OF RAIN. Content was generated by myself months in advance; scheduled; and I even went and built the website with updated data.

We hosted a two corps show this summer with no physical marketing, instead using all digital marketing, in a market that hasn't had a DCA show in over 20 years. Turnout exceeded expectations by 20% even in high heat; areas we can do better - some physical marketing and direct contact with directors for group discounts. Better engagement from local musical ensembles and vendors for support of the show. The biggest success and comments we received were around our professional developed videos and posters... all of which were purchased on fiverr.com for less than $50 TOTAL. 

IMO - all corps and the circuit have to be more diligent about marketing. Ask for help; delegate it to others; develop a brand strategy and just go after it. DCA is such an expansive circuit it absolutely breaks my heart that the history of the circuit; market that's distinctly different than DCA, and more isn't being exploited. 

Fostering an engaged digital fanbase: 

The DCI Ambassador program is a good example of how to start cultivating a grassroots agency and engagement for fans. Special passes; discounts on tickets; instantly enhanced social media presence; along with fans that now are commenting in a semi-official capacity about each corps going ons. This has the benefit of organically aggregating news and content on corps and the circuit by engaging and rewarding active social media users. I wrote a plan for this a year ago that may work for DCA; I offered my assistance with no real interest. 

Edited by lcarlton
bold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2