Positive Brainstorming/DCA

2 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

servierville, TN show used a paper ballot for their fan vote.  it wasn't part of the total score.  but it was fun to see a brand new gatorade jug be awarded to the fan favorite.

if DCA is smart.  they'd get a programmer to develop it, then RENT it to DCI shows for $$$$$$$$. 

I'm sure there are app developers on this site right now who would do it in their spare time. 

13 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I believe you can create a poll on Facebook for free. Personally, I’m not installing new apps. 

The unique operation of the app that was used for the karaoke league, was that it only functioned in the venue that the competition was at.  you couldn't log into it outside the venue or on a different day.

it was only set up for the groups or people performing, and it was only on for that space, in that venue.    So there was no possible way to influence scores from anywhere else or on any other day.   

And that's ok if you don't add it, others would.  It's providing instant gratification that the new generation is accustomed to.  Its a connection to the activity never before existing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

The unique operation of the app that was used for the karaoke league, was that it only functioned in the venue that the competition was at.  you couldn't log into it outside the venue or on a different day.

it was only set up for the groups or people performing, and it was only on for that space, in that venue.    So there was no possible way to influence scores from anywhere else or on any other day.   

And that's ok if you don't add it, others would.  It's providing instant gratification that the new generation is accustomed to.  Its a connection to the activity never before existing.  

That’s fine. But DCA doesn’t seem to do social media well at all. More tools are great, but I think there needs to be something more fundamental. 

45 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

That’s fine. But DCA doesn’t seem to do social media well at all. More tools are great, but I think there needs to be something more fundamental. 

I would agree that it has to be a mix. Something like what is being described here is just another tool in the box. You still have to have the foundation in place and then things like this to make it more appealing and fun to the target audience.

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I have no issue with this, as long a the audience vote has absolutely no affect on the competition itself.  The only problem I could see is that if DCA continues to be held in PA, the BUCS will win the “clap” vote too!  Talk about rubbing salt in the wound!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

its simple. the app we used had three sliders for  ranking each groups performance component from 1-5.  what they sang, how they sang it, and the overall schtick (costumes, dance...whatever)  total score was 15 points.  the software collected data and averaged it all out for each group.  no, participants didn't get a vote. 

if DCA wants to get some traction, it needs to learn to do social media well.  It needs to figure it the (redacted) out.  Find a way to make a personal connection, and you'll gain attendees and members. 

give the audience 5%-10% of the GE score.  see what happens.  you want more? bus some (redacted) fans to the show. sell more tickets in your block. but there's one bit you can steal from the judges.  and this is the kinder gentler drum corps era.  give the friendly people a voice.   but stop crying about how one group always comes out on top when you actually CAN have the ability now to stack the deck for yourselves in a piece of the score.   this actually puts DCA in the palm of your hand, creates an instant connection to the show, and when you rent it to others (like when my company sponsors an app at a conference) its got a big ol fat "Powered by DCA" across the top.  42,000 fans at DCI then have to see it.  Which they have an instant link that takes them to the DCA and Corps websites while they're grabbing a beer at the Oil Can.   Rent it to TOB, BOA, CoB, KMEA, TMEA... you get the idea.  Turn that $$$$ into a sweeeeet stadium for finals and a Cadillac for a pit cart.  

You put a few DCA reps at DCI finals in the marketplace, give away a few t-shirts, " first 50 people to find a DCA rep and answer a question wins a free shirt" and all of sudden people seek you out.   Us simply sponsoring an app at a conference and giving away a couple of travel mugs gave us thousands of hits and people coming up to us to ask about our company.  Which lead to more business. 

There's already a DCI mobile app during finals.  (online videos, highlights, interviews, warmup clips...)  Its is highly downloaded and used.  You may say you're not interested, the new fan of drum corps is. 

Edited by C.Holland

4 hours ago, VOReason said:

I have no issue with this, as long a the audience vote has absolutely no affect on the competition itself.  The only problem I could see is that if DCA continues to be held in PA, the BUCS will win the “clap” vote too!  Talk about rubbing salt in the wound!

bus some fans there.  sell some tickets.  heck, I'll bet you one ice cold Genessee that John Mayer will be on the Govie's Podium yelling "Don't you love us?  Give us five stars!  I've got hugs for everyone who gives the Govies 5 stars!, and you can take Tuna home with you!"

9 hours ago, C.Holland said:

start somewhere.  do something better to make connections and the circuit more accessible than it is.   the power of the app to make connections is unlimited.  

i thought this was the positive brainstorming thread? 

i am being positive. i am positive fan voting won't help, i am positive a real marketing campaign aimed at youth helps

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 3