Positive Brainstorming/DCA

11 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I don't think Buccs or CV would ever go to Open class. I think both organizations understand that being 1st or 2nd place in DCA garners more attention than being 14th (or wherever they would fall) in Open Class. I could be wrong, but it just seems like something they wouldn't do. Would they compete in an Open / All Age hybrid where DCA and DCI join forces...I don't see why not if the conditions are right. It's going to take a lot of stroking of ego's to make that happen I suspect. 

Hey...Bucs and CV are pretty good and all, but they would be absolutely toast in DCI World Class.

I am not in favor of fan votes as I am not in favor of voting for my choral leadership at my school. It becomes a popularity vote and in drum corps it'll be the corps that is closest to that community. Nice idea though!

What are two to three things that DCA can address short term? long term?

Problems that exist today? Problems that have always existed? Problems that may arise in the future?

We know that corps are dying (Empire Statesmen, Crusaders, Brigadiers, Grenadiers, Westshoremen, etc.) Ultimately it's the corps that have to draw in the membership BUT DCA can help (somehow). Public Relations....NOT just for championships either. Can DCA come up with a media package to present to show sponsors that would cover TV, Radio, Websites, etc? 

Is championships held at a stadium that is conducive  for the brand to sell to the public?

Other factors.....Adjudication education. Is there enough education so that the judges know exactly what they are suppose to judge? I say this based on experience in the band and choral world. Not fully understanding the criteria for each box. 

Something else to ponder.......Is DCA and the corps monitoring who they bring into their organization? 

Enough to keep us going LOL

6 hours ago, VOReason said:

Hey...Bucs and CV are pretty good and all, but they would be absolutely toast in DCI World Class.

I would tend to agree. And let's face it....DCA corps were never intended to compete with DCI corps on DCI sheets. I do, however, think that an all age division in cooperation with both associations would be something to look at. Both could potentially benefit.

28 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

1.  Everyone with skin in the game gets a vote.  All active corps who meet evaluation criteria become voting members of DCA.  

2.  Everyone with skin in the game gets access to shows.  Develop a system more like DCI where the circuit ensures that all corps, not just the most popular ones, get into show lineups.

3.  Everyone with skin in the game gets equal treatment, regardless of region.  Eliminate the mandatory annual travel order for non-NE corps.  (Most of them will still make the trip anyway, so no harm done.)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Question for anyone ‘in the know’ . . .  .

Is the DCA- approved judges list large enough in number to run 3 separate competitions on the same date?

Thanks, I’m brainstorming something!

It was last year, if August 18th is any indication.  Shows were held simultaneously in Goldsboro, NC, St. Peter, MN, and Woodbridge, NJ (the latter was rained out, though).

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i am being positive. i am positive fan voting won't help, i am positive a real marketing campaign aimed at youth helps

this is all part of creating an attachment and engaging the younger generations.  this is marketing.  it's not for your age group.  your age group is either engaged and staying, or has already left. no reason to bother with it.

use the same app for ticketing and, much like the DCI app, videos of the lot, interviews with the showmen drum majors and designers...  all the stuff you're getting everywhere else, you should be getting on your phone.  This is the new generation of drum corps fans. 

3 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

this is all part of creating an attachment and engaging the younger generations.  this is marketing.  it's not for your age group.  your age group is either engaged and staying, or has already left. no reason to bother with it.

use the same app for ticketing and, much like the DCI app, videos of the lot, interviews with the showmen drum majors and designers...  all the stuff you're getting everywhere else, you should be getting on your phone.  This is the new generation of drum corps fans. 

But you have to get them into the stands in the first place, a voting app isn't going to do that. Don't bother with the "I'm too old to get it comment." I get it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I am not in favor of fan votes as I am not in favor of voting for my choral leadership at my school. It becomes a popularity vote and in drum corps it'll be the corps that is closest to that community. Nice idea though!

Problems that exist today? Problems that have always existed? Problems that may arise in the future?

We know that corps are dying (Empire Statesmen, Crusaders, Brigadiers, Grenadiers, Westshoremen, etc.) Ultimately it's the corps that have to draw in the membership BUT DCA can help (somehow). Public Relations....NOT just for championships either. Can DCA come up with a media package to present to show sponsors that would cover TV, Radio, Websites, etc? 

Is championships held at a stadium that is conducive  for the brand to sell to the public?

Other factors.....Adjudication education. Is there enough education so that the judges know exactly what they are suppose to judge? I say this based on experience in the band and choral world. Not fully understanding the criteria for each box. 

Something else to ponder.......Is DCA and the corps monitoring who they bring into their organization? 

Enough to keep us going LOL

short term.

1. understand the product they are selling  "DCI training ground, or entertainment focused alternative"

2. get soundsport on board, encourage corps to participate in DCI All Age, and bring in smaller corps to help fill or create shows.  more shows is more exposure. 

long term.

1. get digital and connect the generation that gets everything on their phone.  (tickets, videos, interviews, fan feedback...)

2. create a better foundation of show & corps creation, organization, and sustainability.  a better, more organized support structure for growing your all-age ensemble and helping to fund the machine that is DCA. 

3 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

But you have to get them into the stands in the first place, a voting app isn't going to do that. Don't bother with the "I'm too old to get it comment." I get it.

engaging them digitally will bring more fans.  this is the era where everything is found on a phone or tablet.  time to hire some software engineers to do just that. 

the voting app is a fun feature.  where DCA was supposed to be the fun circuit.  

otherwise its looking like a DCI lite.