Positive Brainstorming/DCA

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, but just because he can be unpleasant to deal with doesn't really give him any leverage over Dan Acheson.

it's not a leverage thing. IMO, it's a professional courtesy thing. if DCI corps reached out to DCA trying to do the same thing, I guarantee Dan wouldn't be very pleased. It's like in my day job...i'm tied to 4 bank locations. if another HMC went behind my bank to the branch manager and tried to get time in those banks and cut me off from knowing, #### right i'd be making a phone call or 3 and requesting sit downs of a Mafia like nature.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 12:24 PM, Mick Krackin' said:

I have been a band teacher for 23 years and I have never received 1 piece of mail, email, or any other kind of media regarding DCA.

BOOM. The "What the (insert colorful noun) is DCA!?!?!?!" issue in a nutshell.

• Like 2

Ok, my "positive" is going to a post-DCA world. Individual corps match up with their closest compatible DCI corps and form an all age division which could become a feeder for DCI corps and a feeder from Jr corps to all-age corps age-outs. It's easier and less expensive to retain a customer or member than build a new relationship. It seems like a situation of this nature could be beneficial to both the Jr corps and the all-age corps. The culture shock of such an arrangement may be unsurmountable. 

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

BOOM. The "What the (insert colorful noun) is DCA!?!?!?!" issue in a nutshell.

I learned of DCA while in college and a member of the Caballeros brought in a video tape of Finals, I believe. A corps had a parachute tarp on the field is all I remember and someone made a comment about being an excuse to drink on the weekend. Circa '91-92.

4 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I learned of DCA while in college and a member of the Caballeros brought in a video tape of Finals, I believe. A corps had a parachute tarp on the field is all I remember and someone made a comment about being an excuse to drink on the weekend. Circa '91-92.

The town I grew up in had a contest. That's how I knew about it. Then seeing Steve Rook in his Westshoremen jacket at District Band and some great conversations over lunch and dinner, rest is history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

The town I grew up in had a contest. That's how I knew about it. Then seeing Steve Rook in his Westshoremen jacket at District Band and some great conversations over lunch and dinner, rest is history.

I morphed into it.  LOL. My older brothers got involved, persuaded to join Sun by John Arietano, who was writing music for our junior corps... then a bunch of us from NJ eventually followed.

Back in the Stone Age when I started in junior corps, DCA was well-known (among the drum corps crowd, that is) in the NY-NJ-CT metro area. The senior corps were a big draw at shows like The Dream, etc. There were some years when it seemed as if half of New York City was at Roosevelt Stadium to cheer on the Skyliners.  :tongue:

On 9/7/2019 at 12:24 PM, Mick Krackin' said:

Marketing. I have been a band teacher for 23 years and I have never received 1 piece of mail, email, or any other kind of media regarding DCA. I would guess most band directors aren't even aware of its existence, or if they are, they only know of the stories of past decades, which would it be very helpful for the new image of all-age drum and bugle corps.  

OK, to frame this in a positive way:

DCA apparently needs to do fundraising to pay for better advertising.

I haven't read much of this thread yet. Has anyone compiled a list of potential sponsors?

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I know it's not my age group. I also know that American Idol and that fan voting stuff has been dying out. if you want to have it, don't make it part of the score. if you want it as part of the score, i don't blame corps one bit for saluting the proposal with a certain finger

except that it's not.  AGT is still on top of ratings, and The Voice still topped the NFL in viewership.  The market is strong for it.  again, not your generation, your generation is old hat.  But not facilitating any sort of change, is why DCA is where it is.  Fear of trying something new, and it not going over like a smash hit, has put the fanbase's one foot into the grave. 

46 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I morphed into it.  LOL. My older brothers got involved, persuaded to join Sun by John Arietano, who was writing music for our junior corps... then a bunch of us from NJ eventually followed.

Back in the Stone Age when I started in junior corps, DCA was well-known (among the drum corps crowd, that is) in the NY-NJ-CT metro area. The senior corps were a big draw at shows like The Dream, etc. There were some years when it seemed as if half of New York City was at Roosevelt Stadium to cheer on the Skyliners.  :tongue:

Mom and dad met at a Westshore rehearsal. 2 years later, me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, to frame this in a positive way:

DCA apparently needs to do fundraising to pay for better advertising.

I haven't read much of this thread yet. Has anyone compiled a list of potential sponsors?

Most sponsors in drum corps do the “ you put our logo on your site, we will put your logo on our site

Edited by Jeff Ream