Positive Brainstorming/DCA

9 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

except that it's not.  AGT is still on top of ratings, and The Voice still topped the NFL in viewership.  The market is strong for it.  again, not your generation, your generation is old hat.  But not facilitating any sort of change, is why DCA is where it is.  Fear of trying something new, and it not going over like a smash hit, has put the fanbase's one foot into the grave. 

And both draw older demos. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so tell us how you really feel?

And next we will work on staying within guidelines regarding personal attacks.....

Found out about corps when someone was recruiting for a local “drum corps”. Thank goodness I didn’t say “why ask me I’m not a drummer”. Three months later that corps merged with Westshore and months after that I finally saw my first show. Rest of the shows I saw that year I was in them. 

27 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

except that it's not.  AGT is still on top of ratings, and The Voice still topped the NFL in viewership.  The market is strong for it.  again, not your generation, your generation is old hat.  But not facilitating any sort of change, is why DCA is where it is.  Fear of trying something new, and it not going over like a smash hit, has put the fanbase's one foot into the grave. 

Are you sure about AGT?

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/weekly-ratings/broadcast-top-25-network-rankings-sept-2-8-2019/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Most sponsors in drum corps do the “ you put our logo on your site, we will put your logo on our site

Well, maybe corps need to professionalize their fundraising and marketing somewhat.

2 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Ok, my "positive" is going to a post-DCA world. Individual corps match up with their closest compatible DCI corps and form an all age division which could become a feeder for DCI corps and a feeder from Jr corps to all-age corps age-outs. It's easier and less expensive to retain a customer or member than build a new relationship. It seems like a situation of this nature could be beneficial to both the Jr corps and the all-age corps. The culture shock of such an arrangement may be unsurmountable. 

The Bucs have established some kind of working relationship with Crown already. 

• Like 1

Thought about some of the trends as well.... many corps choose staff because they can draw from their HS programs. Sometimes, this works very, very well when that staff member is dynamite awesome. Sometimes, I wonder if this is an ideal situation when said staff member might not be enough dynamite awesome to get the corps to a level beyond a sufficient body count in brass, percussion, or guard. Could explain some of the other underlying issues with DCA.

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And next we will work on staying within guidelines regarding personal attacks.....

Found out about corps when someone was recruiting for a local “drum corps”. Thank goodness I didn’t say “why ask me I’m not a drummer”. Three months later that corps merged with Westshore and months after that I finally saw my first show. Rest of the shows I saw that year I was in them. 

I sidn't see anything that was an attack per the guidelines. Blunt yes, attacking, no

Lets not fault the DCA Management as they are doing what the corps want! So going after Allen is NOT acceptable. He and the others run DCA in accordance with what all the voting corps want! 

So lets get back to how can we help DCA?

Using technology is good but it will cost corps more in fees to make that happen.

How about PBS? It worked for DCI in the 1970's and 80's!

All corps have to do their own PR to get the word out in their area and same holds true for a competition that they sponsor. DCA has to do the PR for Championships!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

All corps have to do their own PR to get the word out in their area and same holds true for a competition that they sponsor. DCA has to do the PR for Championships!

If I ever ran a show... God forbid...LOL... I'd reach out to the corps/sponsors who have done well with attendance at their events, to find out how they do it.

If they have a full house, or near a full house, every time... they are obviously doing something right.

• Like 1

What are we brainstorming towards? Increasing attendance at finals? Keeping corps around or at least enough to have a finals? 

Does DCA itself have any goals? I read their "About" on the website and summed up, we provide rules and encourage corps to be entertaining, but stay away from DCI rules. If DCA has no real interest in investing time in effort in growing the product, there isn't much that can be done. Even the low hanging fruit of sending out a mini poster to high school and college bands in the adjacent areas doesn't seem to be of much interest. I think it's just continue to coast until there are only 7-8 corps and keep lobbying for handrails. 

• Thanks 2