Positive Brainstorming/DCA

How about a band competition on Facebook? Post a video of your high school band playing their favorite song on Facebook and tag DCA. Every week DCA will select one band and highlight them on their website / Facebook page. Every band that enters will be in the running to win Finals tickets for their entire band and they can perform, if desired. I'm guessing that there are 200 unsold tickets for Finals. The band provides their own transportation. This gets the bands involved in the competition, they follow DCA for updates on the competition, if the whole band is involved in creating the video they will all be made aware of DCA, waiting for the results and the weekly updates will provide engagement. 

Just trying to come up with something that wouldn't cost a lot, will engage people most likely to be or become interested in DCA and doesn't require a lot of work on DCA's part. I'll take a wild guess that they would view giving away tickets as a huge expense, but it's only an expense if those seats would be filled otherwise.

Likely that DCP members would be happy to assist with compiling contact lists for band directors.

Edited by cybersnyder
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Lets not fault the DCA Management as they are doing what the corps want! So going after Allen is NOT acceptable. He and the others run DCA in accordance with what all the voting corps want! 

So lets get back to how can we help DCA?

Using technology is good but it will cost corps more in fees to make that happen.

How about PBS? It worked for DCI in the 1970's and 80's!

All corps have to do their own PR to get the word out in their area and same holds true for a competition that they sponsor. DCA has to do the PR for Championships!

PBS? The same PBS that won't carry DCI with afar larger national footprint? The PBS that dropped drum corps because people didn't honor peldges and gets higher rating from repeats of Yanni concerts?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

PBS? The same PBS that won't carry DCI with afar larger national footprint? The PBS that dropped drum corps because people didn't honor peldges and gets higher rating from repeats of Yanni concerts?

Are we past the Doo Wop reunions recorded 20 plus years ago? Last national hookup for funds groveling I remember was Red Green. After that never saw a national hook up and only local give us $100 and get this $2 tote bag.

6 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Lets not fault the DCA Management as they are doing what the corps want! So going after Allen is NOT acceptable. He and the others run DCA in accordance with what all the voting corps want! 

So lets get back to how can we help DCA?

Using technology is good but it will cost corps more in fees to make that happen.

How about PBS? It worked for DCI in the 1970's and 80's!

All corps have to do their own PR to get the word out in their area and same holds true for a competition that they sponsor. DCA has to do the PR for Championships!

All I will say is that is a lot more nuanced than the first statement states. I was there when unwarranted criticism was levelled at 2018 finals, and I won't forget it.

• Like 2

Ideas then!

Oh and not wanting to sound like an OLD GUY but can we stop talking about marching bands?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Ideas then!

Oh and not wanting to sound like an OLD GUY but can we stop talking about marching bands?

No offense Keith but we need to get their members more involved (or at least aware) or DCA and the corps. Scary part #1 is sitting in the good seats at DCA and watching people around me get older and older thru the years. Scary part #2 is realizing I haven’t gone to DCA in about 6 years and thinking what if looks like now.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Ideas then!

Sure, we can stop talking about marching bands and just get fans from off the street. Yes, that was sarcasm.

• Like 4

Belong to Antique Automobile Club of America local chapter and going thru same problem with average age going up. One problem is just too #### expensive (sound familiar) to buy a car and get involved. Another big and getting bigger problem is annual event which takes a lot of volunteers who are mobile. National is trying to think of ways to get more younger people but not having great luck either.

The last meeting I sat with my dad (RIP) the local chapter took in new members and overheard “new blood to help us out”. As youngest of new members appeared 50+ I told dad “I see new members  but wtf is the new blood”. 

Problem I see is national trying to grow by using people who are already members or their family members to recruit. They like DCA have to go outside of that closed community 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Ideas then!

why? it's where the future members are

• Thanks 1