Positive Brainstorming/DCA

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

Bingo. Texas has been a fail for DCA. They can't recruit for beans when they've tried. Again, distance, expense, and perceived value.

You'd have to foster a good relationship with DCI to piggyback performance opportunities, until you can build 6 all age corps.  DCATx?  DCA-AggieHorn Division? 

DCA-Brisket Division!!!!!!!<-BINGO!!!!   

That's it... I've solved it. 
NE = DCA Pizza
SE = DCA Pulled Pork
Midwest = DCA Juicy Lucy
TX= DCA Brisket

what can be more fan friendly?

4 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

You'd have to foster a good relationship with DCI to piggyback performance opportunities, until you can build 6 all age corps.  DCATx?  DCA-AggieHorn Division? 

DCA-Brisket Division!!!!!!!<-BINGO!!!!   

That's it... I've solved it. 
NE = DCA Pizza
SE = DCA Pulled Pork
Midwest = DCA Juicy Lucy
TX= DCA Brisket

what can be more fan friendly?

or should the MW = DCA Cheese Curd?  

22 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

or should the MW = DCA Cheese Curd?  

I'm thinking Cheese Curd.  And if you want to sub-divide... perhaps Hot Brown in some areas?

Fish Taco for California.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Not entirely. If people don't know what DCA is or they consider it valueless because of the fact they're utterly unaware of the brand... DCA has to do more. And yes, they're understaffed and underfunded, I know this, and it's still an albatross no matter how one cuts it.

Agree 100%. That's why DCA should be figuring out some sort of way to join forces with DCI to leverage their ability to promote and advertise the activity. People are not ware of DCA...period. MANY of us marched DCI and were completely unaware that DCA even existed until we were told by existing DCA members about it. That's unbelievably sad. And outside of the NE, there are very few corps to even spread the word. Though corps should have some responsibility to grow the organization on their own, the investment of time and money to do so could be prohibitive. It's like trying to grow a business by word of mouth. It can be done, but if you really want to grow, the business has to invest in itself. 

There are no simple answers. And who knows...DCA may be doing things behind the scenes to surprise us. I just have my doubts that they have the necessary sense of urgency for the survival of the activity. 

43 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

I'm not sure what you're challenging, those are the numbers of corps that competed in each class in DCI last season.   None of which will move to DCA.  the ones whom are trying to move from soundsport into Open Class are Compass & Lone Star.  They also do not look to be interested in DCA.   

DCA would not help them in Texas. 

I'm challenging the argument of impact on fostering new corps; there have been more corps started and made it into OC since SS started, than those that did SS and applied to OC and made it.

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm thinking Cheese Curd.  And if you want to sub-divide... perhaps Hot Brown in some areas?

Fish Taco for California.

DCA Avocado  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lcarlton said:

I'm challenging the argument of impact on fostering new corps; there have been more corps started and made it into OC since SS started, than those that did SS and applied to OC and made it.

That is debatable.

SoundSport began in 2012.  A list of current corps that entered DCI open class since then includes the following.

"started and made it into OC since SS started":  3 (Battalion, Columbians, Heat Wave)

"those that did SS and applied to OC and made it":  5 (Louisiana Stars, Southwind, Guardians, Watchmen, Encorps)

There are also 3 other "new corps" during that time, but they were already operating pageantry organizations prior to 2012.  Shadow competed each summer as a marching band (Shadow Armada) prior to switching to drum corps.  River City Rhythm began as a winter drumline in 2009, added a colorguard program, then added a drum corps program.  Golden Empire also grew from a pre-existing percussion program.  Your contention only adds up by counting these groups as "started" since SS began.

16 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I do know that throughout the 1980's, 90's and 2000's, Empire Statesmen and Crusaders went to band shows to recruit.

That is good corps need to do this BUT maybe we should all back up and look at the big picture!

Our country is/has been changing and the drum and bugle corps activity is changing! When you compare DCI 1976 to DCI 2019, the biggest change is the amount of corps. The quality is better today than 1976 but it's also different from top to bottom. DCA 1976 saw 17 corps in only one class and today only 5 (maybe 6) are still active. 1976 DCI saw 81 corps in 3 classes with only 10 corps still around today. Many reasons why corps folded up their tents and that is another post.

What can DCA do better to market what they have TODAY? Is following the DCI model the answer? Is there another model to copy or can the corps put together something that is unique and only DCA? 

We all agree recruitment is important and that should be on the individual corps correct? DCA management has nothing to do with that.

Let's keep this going!

band show recruiting and band staff recruiting helped bring Westshore back from literally dead in October 94 to 2nd place in 95, then DCA Champs in 96. Some felt the win was enough for 97, not factoring in many long time members were getting out...and well....the rest is history.

DCA as a circuit should work to partner with band circuits to spread the word, regardless of corps. In PA/MD/NJ/DE/WV you have TOB, Cavalcade, USBands, PIMBA and LMBA. partner with them. Look TOB has a banner at major DCI shows, including finals week. Costs nothing. We then promote DCI events in our region. When contacted, we reach out to member schools to host events or house corps. 

They need real social media presence. Not just some posts during the week..they need stuff happening at shows. Cover Rules Congress. Make a video of show announcements or when it's revealed who is going to what shows. Show reveals. You name it.How is it I know more DCI drum majors names than DCA drum majors names? Easy. Social media.

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, I agree.

My comment was merely a reference to the transformation of senior corps to all-age corps, and then not so much "all" age when following DCI visual trends made it physically impractical for many older marchers to continue.  As DCA chose that style of performance, they had to recruit a younger demographic.  (But to do so, DCA must recruit in the same pool where DCI has already been recruiting.)

easiest marketing approach:

Come here and learn. Go to DCI and apply. Then come back here and show he next generation.

• Like 2