Positive Brainstorming/DCA

9 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I think DCI open class has hit its niche. No, $4k-6k of worlds is not feasible for many.  Hence why many are marching fewer years than before.  But I think also of why open class is growing.  $1200-3k is a little more sustainable.  But the schedule, to me, is pretty feasible, and designed around school schedules.  You have one camp a month from nov to june.  then move in early july and are done with tour in 6 weeks.   Or you have a camp week around the 4th.  and then move-in/tour for the last two weeks of july and two august weeks for championships.  With your own open class tour of exotic locations like Sheffield, PA, and Avon Lake, OH.  The cities aren't amazing, but the show crowds are filling more every year. 

Reminds me a bit of the 1970s with the top DCI corps... Div. 1, or whatever they were called then.

Out east at least... I remember corps like Garfield, Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, Muchachos, etc., basically doing weekend shows early in the season. In NJ there seemed to be a regular circuit of those shows... Bayonne, Hasbrouck Heights, Westwood, and so forth. Then, in general,  the corps would head out for a short tour, then return home, then back out for the final tour leading up to championships.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think everyone here agrees on that. but that's only one piece of a huge puzzle

All that matters is if the voting corps agree. Not so sure they do. If yes, the contract with Williamsport suggests a new calendar won't be coming for another few years. Until then, more decline?

• Like 1

I wonder what kind of survey could be sent to current marching members, former members about the corps, season, etc. Maybe they can get some answers. Even a survey to the fans at every show to see what would they like to see. I mean they do pay money to watch a show and the marching members have a financial interest in their corps too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Agree 100%. That's why DCA should be figuring out some sort of way to join forces with DCI to leverage their ability to promote and advertise the activity. People are not ware of DCA...period. MANY of us marched DCI and were completely unaware that DCA even existed until we were told by existing DCA members about it. That's unbelievably sad. And outside of the NE, there are very few corps to even spread the word. Though corps should have some responsibility to grow the organization on their own, the investment of time and money to do so could be prohibitive. It's like trying to grow a business by word of mouth. It can be done, but if you really want to grow, the business has to invest in itself. 

There are no simple answers. And who knows...DCA may be doing things behind the scenes to surprise us. I just have my doubts that they have the necessary sense of urgency for the survival of the activity. 

I'll throw this out there:

If it was sustainable, and it would be in certain aspects... is it a bad thing if all DCA is are... Bucs/Cabs/Bush/Hurcs/Fusion/Sky/Sun and any other geographic or new corps outlier who decides/is determined to run the gauntlet? That's kind of the way it's always been. Is it right?  

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

All that matters is if the voting corps agree. Not so sure they do. If yes, the contract with Williamsport suggests a new calendar won't be coming for another few years. Until then, more decline?

100% CORRECT. At the end of the day, we can howl at the moon until next season starts and nothing will change unless the member corps see things the way that we have discussed here. I do, however, believe that as long as the conversations here continue to be positive, it may serve as a vehicle to put a few well placed bugs in some voting ears. Unlike the DCI forums, the DCA side seems to be less prone to daily drama and posturing. 

I think we have some good minds at work coming up with some decent topics of discussion (I do not include myself in the "good minds" category.)

42 minutes ago, BigW said:

I'll throw this out there:

If it was sustainable, and it would be in certain aspects... is it a bad thing if all DCA is are... Bucs/Cabs/Bush/Hurcs/Fusion/Sky/Sun and any other geographic or new corps outlier who decides/is determined to run the gauntlet? That's kind of the way it's always been. Is it right?  

I think sustainable in the short term. However, the first year we drop below 10 Open Class corps for DCA Finals, people are going to grab the pitch forks and get all stabby and ####.

P.S. - I think "stabby" is an actual word...an adjective...they're working on our IT security and I can't get to Google. LOL

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think sustainable in the short term. However, the first year we drop below 10 Open Class corps for DCA Finals, people are going to grab the pitch forks and get all stabby and ####.

P.S. - I think "stabby" is an actual word...an adjective...they're working on our IT security and I can't get to Google. LOL

Yes, I think some folks would be upset. But I think... there should be some soul searching from some of those with the knives. Ain't gonna say from who or why. There was enough doing in of competitors in one way or another in the past to cause a certain proportion of this.

I think some Corps have sat and looked around, and realizing that being the last man standing means there's no one else to compete against, and in some cases, that was too late for them.

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

it's possible.I'd love to say I know more, but I am still waiting for that phone call from 10 months ago

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

100% CORRECT. At the end of the day, we can howl at the moon until next season starts and nothing will change unless the member corps see things the way that we have discussed here. I do, however, believe that as long as the conversations here continue to be positive, it may serve as a vehicle to put a few well placed bugs in some voting ears. Unlike the DCI forums, the DCA side seems to be less prone to daily drama and posturing. 

I think we have some good minds at work coming up with some decent topics of discussion (I do not include myself in the "good minds" category.)

there's some hidden gems on the DCI side...and people in DCI do read it.

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stabby

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stabby

:lol::lol:

• Haha 1