Positive Brainstorming/DCA

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

Because they had to be sponsored by member corps, is that right?  (Or was, at least, a few years ago.)  And in concept, it's really more of a stage performance?  

I still propose there's an essentially free developmental tier out there that would likely be happy to partner with DCA, and it'd be smart business to push would-be new groups in there first.  DCI already has a proven record of this working; why reinvent the wheel?  

Mike

i don't know the ins and outs of mini corps. honestly i think i only attended the event 4/5 times total over all the years, and a lot of the drama on here turned me off somewhat/ A lot of demands for something that brought in zero revenue

I just noticed that the annual winter meeting with be in Atlanta. Maybe we will some changes...but I'm not in "The Know." I also started to really dig into Soundsport and the Virtual Events judging feature could be invaluable for DCA corps which could not travel. The sheets would obviously have to be different, but the idea of being able to receive judging feedback through the season without having to spend thousands on travel is pretty #### cool. 

It took me 5 minutes to look into a single DCI option and find things that would help DCA if they would reach out and find a way to partner. I don't expect anyone to answer as I know there is plenty of history DCA wise that I don't know (remember my first year in DCA was 2004,) but why is it so hard for DCA accept / adopt positive change that moves the activity forward? 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I just noticed that the annual winter meeting with be in Atlanta. Maybe we will some changes...but I'm not in "The Know." I also started to really dig into Soundsport and the Virtual Events judging feature could be invaluable for DCA corps which could not travel. The sheets would obviously have to be different, but the idea of being able to receive judging feedback through the season without having to spend thousands on travel is pretty #### cool. 

It took me 5 minutes to look into a single DCI option and find things that would help DCA if they would reach out and find a way to partner. I don't expect anyone to answer as I know there is plenty of history DCA wise that I don't know (remember my first year in DCA was 2004,) but why is it so hard for DCA accept / adopt positive change that moves the activity forward? 

control or lack of is my hunch

3 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

This is probably negative thinking, but does DCA want to change much of anything? 

some do

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 11:07 AM, MikeN said:

Good ideas, all!  Regarding corps not yet in place, though, one thing DCI has done that I am amazed that DCA never thought of is the creation of SoundSport.  There were a number of corps a few years back, we all recall, that got nuked by the 30-member limit.  Show sponsors didn't want to pay big money for small returns, but small groups then had no chance to grow.  Frankly, expecting a never ending cycle of fully-formed Class A groups to appear ready to compete and perform seems unrealistic.

SS sidesteps the whole issue - no pay for performance (in fact, the groups themselves have to pay to enter), but gives them an opportunity to actually perform and catch some eyeballs.  

So what happened on the junior side?  SS has become the defacto third division of DCI.  Every Open Class corps that's entered for years started in SS, which has created some familiarity between the groups and DCI before the formal application process, and has also allowed for some guidance along the way.  

Now here's a low-barrier opportunity for DCA - SS does not require a DCI-affiliated show sponsor.  Go ahead and add an official SS performance to the weekend, and then encourage both all-age *and* junior groups to attend.  It creates an extra opportunity for fans, an extra performance for the junior groups (who will eventually be DCA-age) and finally gives that needed performance stage for new groups that want to perform but can't under current rules.  And heck, give the performers the nosebleed seats to Finals while you're at it, and the crowd starts to get a little bigger, too!

Mike

I will point out, for reference since 2013 the first year of SS, more corps have joined OC outside of the program than have gone through it. 

Since 2013 : Battalion, Golden Empire, Louisiana Stars, River City Rhythm, Heat Wave, Shadow, and Vessel. Les Stentors returned this season without going through SS. 

So far out of the 12 corps that have applied for OC from SS 3 made it. Guardians in 2013, Southwind in 2016, and Encorps in 2019. A fourth corps joined DCA Class A in 2018 and competes there, with another SS team rumored to be applying for DCA next season.

I'm very impressed with the growth and impact SS is having on the all age portion of the activity. If you consider the majority of the consistent participants are all-age like Railmen, Rhythm in Blue, Impact, Star United, Rogues Hollow, Sonus, Lakeshoremen, Columbus Saints, Mon Valley, Les Titans, Rocketeers, Florida Express, and MBI. The fact they also picked up Chops this season and helped spawn a few DCA corps and mini-corps shows good cross cooperation.

If anything the gravitation of All-Age ensembles to SS should be a message to DCA that they look to grow mini-corps. IMO making mini-corps its own class, and building a competitive season around them, then create two classes i.e. standstill and a field class. Have standstill class just do the normal mini corps champions. Then have field class go on in Prelims with the champion performing in exhibition. Could help foster a lot of sub 35 corps and those in mini-corps that may want to make that next step without fundamentally changing how everything flows for DCA. 

Edited by lcarlton
added corps to list
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2019 at 11:09 AM, MikeN said:

Because they had to be sponsored by member corps, is that right?  (Or was, at least, a few years ago.) 

I'm not sure that was ever the case. Never saw anything in the mini-corps rules that required that... at least during the years that Dick Pronti, Donna Ernst, and my wife Barbara were running the event.

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm not sure that was ever the case. Never saw anything in the mini-corps rules that required that... at least during the years that Dick Pronti, Donna Ernst, and my wife Barbara were running the event.

Have seen the rules listed for 2007 when I did I&E and don’t remember anything for minis either. For persons had to be either past/present DCA corps member or present Alumni corps member but that was it.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have seen the rules listed for 2007 when I did I&E and don’t remember anything for minis either. For persons had to be either past/present DCA corps member or present Alumni corps member but that was it.

Does that mean I have to prove I was a Westshoreman, Jim? Sweet. Baby. Jesus. :laugh:

Does that mean I have to sing the corps song, do they call Larry... Ask John Kreitzer… or am I just eccentric enough for them to say, yeah... this guy HAD to be in that bunch of goofballs. :whistle:

Speaking of which, I got an old album from home. Pic of me in '84 ready to roll in it by Dad. Should scan it...

8 hours ago, BigW said:

Does that mean I have to prove I was a Westshoreman, Jim? Sweet. Baby. Jesus. :laugh:

Does that mean I have to sing the corps song, do they call Larry... Ask John Kreitzer… or am I just eccentric enough for them to say, yeah... this guy HAD to be in that bunch of goofballs. :whistle:

Speaking of which, I got an old album from home. Pic of me in '84 ready to roll in it by Dad. Should scan it...

Sure I’m ex-Westshore call the ex-VP of DCA lol.

*sigh* just realized Barb could have vouched for both of us... something about 1979....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1