Positive Brainstorming/DCA

3 hours ago, BigW said:

They're now SONUS and participate in SoundSport, Jim.

And pretty good, too!!!  They have definitely found their niche.

32 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And pretty good, too!!!  They have definitely found their niche.

I think this is part of what needs to be done. Finding those niches for groups that might not be for various reasons wanting to or able to field a corps on a traditional model.

WGI is doing that- budgets, time... amount of people needed, if you want participation and involvement, these groups need to be nurtured right now. If young people want on board, get them there. Help them build the skill sets to move on if that's their desire.

15 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I wonder if the same is true for DCA. I would love to think so. I started to think about it am shocked that I see more advertising for local HS marching band shows than I do for drum corps shows. I guess shocked is a bad word...let's say...disappointed. 

well at least as of DCA Finals awards ceremony, one person read it

( people read it)

13 hours ago, MikeN said:

Good ideas, all!  Regarding corps not yet in place, though, one thing DCI has done that I am amazed that DCA never thought of is the creation of SoundSport.  There were a number of corps a few years back, we all recall, that got nuked by the 30-member limit.  Show sponsors didn't want to pay big money for small returns, but small groups then had no chance to grow.  Frankly, expecting a never ending cycle of fully-formed Class A groups to appear ready to compete and perform seems unrealistic.

SS sidesteps the whole issue - no pay for performance (in fact, the groups themselves have to pay to enter), but gives them an opportunity to actually perform and catch some eyeballs.  

So what happened on the junior side?  SS has become the defacto third division of DCI.  Every Open Class corps that's entered for years started in SS, which has created some familiarity between the groups and DCI before the formal application process, and has also allowed for some guidance along the way.  

Now here's a low-barrier opportunity for DCA - SS does not require a DCI-affiliated show sponsor.  Go ahead and add an official SS performance to the weekend, and then encourage both all-age *and* junior groups to attend.  It creates an extra opportunity for fans, an extra performance for the junior groups (who will eventually be DCA-age) and finally gives that needed performance stage for new groups that want to perform but can't under current rules.  And heck, give the performers the nosebleed seats to Finals while you're at it, and the crowd starts to get a little bigger, too!

Mike

DCA kinda did...mini corps. the original Soundsport. But it became either smaller groups from the corps themselves, or alumni organizations

10 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Downtown is fine. Safe... and several great places to eat/drink/hang out.

The stadium venue... well... :innocent:

Billtown has some issues...all towns that size do. But it's not say downtown Harrisburg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Maybe BigW can fill me in. Think there was an ICA show there 1985. Minor league ballpark with crappy lighting. Other than that was at Lycoming college for an event (Mark Russell?) and HS football game back in the Stone Age.

Other than that drawing blank....

Historic Bowman Field. A level ball field, but they recently did a ton of upgrades as they run a Major League game there during the LLWS. It's currently tied to the Phillies organization

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well at least as of DCA Finals awards ceremony, one person read it

( people read it)

Besides that example lol. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA kinda did...mini corps. the original Soundsport. But it became either smaller groups from the corps themselves, or alumni organizations

Because they had to be sponsored by member corps, is that right?  (Or was, at least, a few years ago.)  And in concept, it's really more of a stage performance?  

I still propose there's an essentially free developmental tier out there that would likely be happy to partner with DCA, and it'd be smart business to push would-be new groups in there first.  DCI already has a proven record of this working; why reinvent the wheel?  

Mike

29 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Because they had to be sponsored by member corps, is that right?  (Or was, at least, a few years ago.)  And in concept, it's really more of a stage performance?  

I still propose there's an essentially free developmental tier out there that would likely be happy to partner with DCA, and it'd be smart business to push would-be new groups in there first.  DCI already has a proven record of this working; why reinvent the wheel?  

Mike

Kind of my point as well. DCI has a working model that's expanding the activity and getting at least SOME outreach to the next generation of MM's and fans. It's now up to the corps...since they are essentially the "governing body" of the association to either embrace change and / or reach out to DCI and see what kind of environment the TWO associations in accord could work together to push the activity forward as a whole. 

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Besides that example lol. 

people read. i get messages all the time about things on here, DCA and DCI.