Class A corps outside NE - what happened?

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if members don't want to stick around and you have less than 35 members...you can't play in the sandbox. let's face it, full time commitment drum corps without an end game has little appeal. And even parade corps don't appeal like they used to. Look how many alumni corps are no longer around. 

And again we NE people are speaking for the  non-NE corps. I don’t believe in sticking all corps in a one size fits all “that’s why they folded” hole so not going to do it here until I hear info that came from the source. 

Not being argumentative but we’re guessing here unless someone from a corps has written “we folded because”. And we’ve seen enough times when people claimed to know why certain corps folded and were way off the mark. And thinking of a certain corps in particular so that’s why I’m being a PITA in trying to be sure. Well that and in my job “that has to be the reason” ain’t acceptable without proof.

To put it a sound bite: just a blanket statement why all these corps folded is not doing them justice without knowing for sure 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

46 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And again we NE people are speaking for the  non-NE corps. I don’t believe in sticking all corps in a one size fits all “that’s why they folded” hole so not going to do it here until I hear info that came from the source. 

Not being argumentative but we’re guessing here unless someone from a corps has written “we folded because”. And we’ve seen enough times when people claimed to know why certain corps folded and were way off the mark. And thinking of a certain corps in particular so that’s why I’m being a PITA in trying to be sure. Well that and in my job “that has to be the reason” ain’t acceptable without proof.

To put it a sound bite: just a blanket statement why all these corps folded is not doing them justice without knowing for sure 

I'm going off of things put here and elsewhere as well as told to me by people in non NE corps. there's a plethora of issues that I have mentioned that some or all affected every single corps no longer with us from outside the NE. and affected those within the NE too.

46 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm going off of things put here and elsewhere as well as told to me by people in non NE corps. there's a plethora of issues that I have mentioned that some or all affected every single corps no longer with us from outside the NE. and affected those within the NE too.

Ok know you’ve followed closer than me. Just hard to tell here (not just directed at you) what is from sources and what is surmised.

As for parades and alumni two different things hitting. One is the alumni corps I’ve seen up close weren’t getting any younger so might be at point where lot of members can’t parade anymore. And out side of NE some parades charge to participate so another reason not to parade

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

what's the point of being a member in a corps that at best gets 2/3 performances before championships....and then not go to championships? There was never a DCA South Championship show or a DCA Midwest Championship show....there was a few shows. then either come here, or...watch online? hang out with the family?

I know the Open Class stuff  DCI does on the west coast seems to be working, but they did create a championship type event for them out there. DCA had nothing. It was come to Scranton/Rochester/Annapolis/Wiliamsport or nothing.

The open class shows on the west coast work because they have a bunch of corps that can attend those shows, they can tour to them.  And they grow in numbers every other year.  It used to be BDB, BDC, SCVC, Cascades, and Impulse.  Cascades grew up and moved on to Worlds.  BUT Gold, Watchmen, Battalion, Columbians, Golden Empire, Icognito, Vessel sprouted up.   Now there's Arsenal and Phenom in Soundsport.  Once they've got it together, they'll add to the mix. 

Heck, they could have a DCWest for open class if they wanted to.  Those corps get a good 8-9 shows in the west.  That's more than some DCA corps get.  The kids who march in the west coast OC corps also have the abilities to 1. tour to all the shows that ARENT on a weekend, and 2. jump in to fill holes with corps that need then after July 24.  so they can get a full tour, and some do. 

But it's not hard to figure out why corps not in the NE have concerns coming to DCA.  It costs a fortune to get your gear across the country and house everyone. (see CV that spent a large pile of money to get to PA only to be rained out) There are few options for you to perform on the weekends everywhere that's NOT the NE.  There is currently no support for the creation of any expansion to the rest of the country for all-age.  Let's look at CV as an example.  If you include championship weekend they would have gotten 6 shows in their entire season.  (one with only two corps, and one rained out) 

Govies (not including Germany) had 3 shows including championships.  One of which was on a tuesday.  I know that would hinder many all-age groups.   I don't see how its sustainable anywhere else.  

Edited by C.Holland

A subject which I can speak on with a little authority.  Generally speaking, issues MCL had in staying afloat included money, recruiting (warm bodies aren't enough; bodies committed to the corps and willing/able to meet their obligations were needed), lack of a cohesive long-term vision among the leadership and several broken backs among those who carried the corps for many years.  Eventually other things in life become more enjoyable and important. 

One other point.  The way DCA was set up back in the day, if you didn't come to Championships, you essentially had no voice in the organization.  And when MCL briefly got a voice it proved too threatening for some and the rules were changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, 00Sop said:

A subject which I can speak on with a little authority.  Generally speaking, issues MCL had in staying afloat included money, recruiting (warm bodies aren't enough; bodies committed to the corps and willing/able to meet their obligations were needed), lack of a cohesive long-term vision among the leadership and several broken backs among those who carried the corps for many years.  Eventually other things in life become more enjoyable and important. 

One other point.  The way DCA was set up back in the day, if you didn't come to Championships, you essentially had no voice in the organization.  And when MCL briefly got a voice it proved too threatening for some and the rules were changed.

which specific rules?

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok know you’ve followed closer than me. Just hard to tell here (not just directed at you) what is from sources and what is surmised.

As for parades and alumni two different things hitting. One is the alumni corps I’ve seen up close weren’t getting any younger so might be at point where lot of members can’t parade anymore. And out side of NE some parades charge to participate so another reason not to parade

Your right Jim.  Many parades do charge to participate.  Money talks and without it many corps won't walk (the parade)

7 hours ago, LucyGuy66 said:

Your right Jim.  Many parades do charge to participate.  Money talks and without it many corps won't walk (the parade)

Wow. I can't imagine having to PAY to march in a parade! Why ever would a corps want to do that?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Wow. I can't imagine having to PAY to march in a parade! Why ever would a corps want to do that?

Few do. 

a little off subject, yet hyping class A. Former class A multiple champs were 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 10th. In Open class. The top 3 in class A this year would have been 8th or 9th in open class.             The top 3 class A corps also represent 9 Class A championships.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

thank you DCA for class A (hype over) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1