Class A corps outside NE - what happened?

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Wow. I can't imagine having to PAY to march in a parade! Why ever would a corps want to do that?

Have to wonder what those parades look like. IMO another reason why Alumni and all age is strongest in Northeast. Those 5 parade Fourth of July around Baltimore are a blessing for corps budgets. And parade in Havre de Grace on different day around that time

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 00Sop said:

And when MCL briefly got a voice it proved too threatening for some and the rules were changed.

Threatening to the other corps or to DCA itself? It's so hard to actually draw that line at times for me. 

5 hours ago, larry p said:

a little off subject, yet hyping class A. Former class A multiple champs were 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 10th. In Open class. The top 3 in class A this year would have been 8th or 9th in open class.             The top 3 class A corps also represent 9 Class A championships.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

thank you DCA for class A (hype over) 

I agree. A Class in several ways saved DCA.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

which specific rules?

If I had the rule book from about 12-14 years ago I could quote it.  If I remember correctly, there was a rule that gave voting rights if a certain number of shows were attended, plus championships.  MCL's decision to attend shows in MN that year was motivated in part by a desire to qualify under that rule.  I think the rule had been put in place to help some struggling NE corps who had lost their seats at the big boy table.  When a young, outsider corps took advantage of it, the rule was changed to voting rights based on placement only.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Threatening to the other corps or to DCA itself? It's so hard to actually draw that line at times for me. 

The corps with voting rights are in effect "DCA."  Some (not all) corps did not like the idea of sharing political power with new kids on the block.  There were at least enough to get the rule changed.  My sense at the time was that some in the DCA adminstration were cautioning corps about this pettiness but it fell on a lot of deaf ears.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 00Sop said:

If I had the rule book from about 12-14 years ago I could quote it.  If I remember correctly, there was a rule that gave voting rights if a certain number of shows were attended, plus championships.  MCL's decision to attend shows in MN that year was motivated in part by a desire to qualify under that rule.  I think the rule had been put in place to help some struggling NE corps who had lost their seats at the big boy table.  When a young, outsider corps took advantage of it, the rule was changed to voting rights based on placement only.

BITD can’t remember if there was a number of shows attended requirement. There was a requirement to host a DCA show which was a cluster for MBI as no one wanted to go there.

Also a horrible way to invite corps to a DCA show you hosted. Had to invite top 10 (member corps) first to fill the slate. If you still had openings then you had to invite 11-14 (associate corps). THEN if you still had an opening you could invite anyone else. So if there was a local corps that didn’t make top 10 or 11-14 *cough cough* they usually did exhibition but could not compete 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

BITD can’t remember if there was a number of shows attended requirement. There was a requirement to host a DCA show which was a cluster for MBI as no one wanted to go there.

Also a horrible way to invite corps to a DCA show you hosted. Had to invite top 10 (member corps) first to fill the slate. If you still had openings then you had to invite 11-14 (associate corps). THEN if you still had an opening you could invite anyone else. So if there was a local corps that didn’t make top 10 or 11-14 *cough cough* they usually did exhibition but could not compete 

I remember that.  Frankly, DCA wasn't ready for the (outside) growth it experienced in the early 2000's and many of the new corps that jumped in didn't fully appreciate what they were getting into.  Much DCA business was done based on winks and handshakes at the bar the night before a membership meeting.  The old rulebooks had been written (sloppily) with the understanding no one outside the NE, except MN, would come to the party.  Kudos to Gil Silva for his efforts in tightening things up and making DCA more corporate and professional but he faced some strong headwinds.  I don't know if DCA would be in better shape if it had done things differently back then but it's hard to believe it would be worse.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 00Sop said:

ohhhhhh yeah i remember hearing about that. the winds came whipping down the plain after that ($10 to anyone that gets the reference)

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 00Sop said:

I remember that.  Frankly, DCA wasn't ready for the (outside) growth it experienced in the early 2000's and many of the new corps that jumped in didn't fully appreciate what they were getting into.  Much DCA business was done based on winks and handshakes at the bar the night before a membership meeting.  The old rulebooks had been written (sloppily) with the understanding no one outside the NE, except MN, would come to the party.  Kudos to Gil Silva for his efforts in tightening things up and making DCA more corporate and professional but he faced some strong headwinds.  I don't know if DCA would be in better shape if it had done things differently back then but it's hard to believe it would be worse.  

literally encouraging only NE progress?

wow. 

42 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

literally encouraging only NE progress?

wow. 

Kinda like they didn’t know what to do if it got outside of NE. Boys/Spirit of 76 showed up 2 or 3 times in the 70s and made Finals once. Late 70s when I was in it was MBI and Chicago Connection knocking on the door in 11th and 12th a few times. Then Ohio Brass came along ca 1980. There was a show in Canton 78 and 79 Saturday night combined with Erie Sunday afternoon. Buccs were at those shows but rest were Westshoremen (near 10th at DCA), Rochester Crusaders, Erie and Chicago at Canton show IIRC. It was supposed to build up Sr corps towards the west but other than the OH show held by the Shriners don’t think anything else was done. 

All I know is getting home o dark 30 Monday morning SUCKED...

• Like 2