Class A corps outside NE - what happened?

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

literally encouraging only NE progress?

wow. 

Check your PM inbox.  LOL. 

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Check your PM inbox.  LOL. 

Unfair!! I wanna know stuffs like the cool kids! 😝

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Kinda like they didn’t know what to do if it got outside of NE. Boys/Spirit of 76 showed up 2 or 3 times in the 70s and made Finals once. Late 70s when I was in it was MBI and Chicago Connection knocking on the door in 11th and 12th a few times. Then Ohio Brass came along ca 1980. There was a show in Canton 78 and 79 Saturday night combined with Erie Sunday afternoon. Buccs were at those shows but rest were Westshoremen (near 10th at DCA), Rochester Crusaders, Erie and Chicago at Canton show IIRC. It was supposed to build up Sr corps towards the west but other than the OH show held by the Shriners don’t think anything else was done. 

All I know is getting home o dark 30 Monday morning SUCKED...

Well said. 

Boys of 76 was the first Midwestern corps to make finals... 1970.

Then, like you said, MBI and Chicago coming along... with MBI finally getting into the top 10 in the mid-1980s.

And several Canadian corps made the cut over the years, 1970s-mid-1990s.  But the non-NE corps always seemed like outliers, outsiders, one-offs in some cases.

Heck... even one of DCA's founding members... the Yankee Rebels... were seen as an outsider by some. Baltimore... the Deep South.  :laughing: And I remember Pittsburgh's Steel City Ambassadors referring to themselves as "DCA West."  LOL

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said. 

Then, like you said, MBI and Chicago coming along... with MBI finally getting into the top 10 in the mid-1980s.

And several Canadian corps made the cut over the years, 1970s-mid-1990s.  But the non-NE corps always seemed like outliers, outsiders, one-offs in some cases.

Heck... even one of DCA's founding members... the Yankee Rebels... were seen as an outsider by some. Baltimore... the Deep South.  :laughing: And I remember Pittsburgh's Steel City Ambassadors referring to themselves as "DCA West."  LOL

And guess who was “DCA South” after the Rebs folded.... north of the Mason Dixon line yet....

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And guess who was “DCA South” after the Rebs folded.... north of the Mason Dixon line yet....

Yep... Harrisburg has that steamy southern weather.  :tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said. 

the "DCA WEST" flag carried by the honor guard still exists

47 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

the "DCA WEST" flag carried by the honor guard still exists

I want to like this...

Thinking about it, who was DCA west after Rockets and before Steel City? Rochester or Erie?

Yeah kind of off topic but shows people what NE only was like.....

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Kinda like they didn’t know what to do if it got outside of NE. Boys/Spirit of 76 showed up 2 or 3 times in the 70s and made Finals once. Late 70s when I was in it was MBI and Chicago Connection knocking on the door in 11th and 12th a few times. Then Ohio Brass came along ca 1980. There was a show in Canton 78 and 79 Saturday night combined with Erie Sunday afternoon. Buccs were at those shows but rest were Westshoremen (near 10th at DCA), Rochester Crusaders, Erie and Chicago at Canton show IIRC. It was supposed to build up Sr corps towards the west but other than the OH show held by the Shriners don’t think anything else was done. 

All I know is getting home o dark 30 Monday morning SUCKED...

88-91 i believe shows were held in OH and Chicago area or Michigan. I know in 89 Shore and Steel went out

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said. 

89-90 there were several of us that called ourselves DCA West. Steel City, Empire, Cru, Westshore, Excalibur, Royalaires

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I want to like this...

Thinking about it, who was DCA west after Rockets and before Steel City? Rochester or Erie?

Yeah kind of off topic but shows people what NE only was like.....

I've been sitting here reading the discussion and thinking to myself this has all been discussed many times long before DCP, Facebook, RAMD, or even the Internet, back in the 80s, 70s, 60s..... it was all a matter of perspective on where the line was drawn and who were the 'us' or the 'them'.  In my day, it was a rare treat to be like every one else and drive to a show and not have to jump on a bus to get there - the now/then difference is we had plenty of shows and was relatively easy to fit in somewhere and perform 'live' every weekend.  and although we were out in the DCA frontier we 'outsiders' were all close enough that if we couldn't get in to a NE show we could support each other and sponsor our own shows, at least breaking even in the effort.  but unfortunately the further out that corps started to organize that opportunity becomes far more difficult - they're isolated and handicapped more than we were.

interesting topic and discussion...pretty much the same problems with the same lack of solution for the benefit of the whole activity.

jmo