Class A corps outside NE - what happened?

19 hours ago, JohnZ said:

I've been sitting here reading the discussion and thinking to myself this has all been discussed many times long before DCP, Facebook, RAMD, or even the Internet, back in the 80s, 70s, 60s..... it was all a matter of perspective on where the line was drawn and who were the 'us' or the 'them'.  In my day, it was a rare treat to be like every one else and drive to a show and not have to jump on a bus to get there - the now/then difference is we had plenty of shows and was relatively easy to fit in somewhere and perform 'live' every weekend.  and although we were out in the DCA frontier we 'outsiders' were all close enough that if we couldn't get in to a NE show we could support each other and sponsor our own shows, at least breaking even in the effort.  but unfortunately the further out that corps started to organize that opportunity becomes far more difficult - they're isolated and handicapped more than we were.

interesting topic and discussion...pretty much the same problems with the same lack of solution for the benefit of the whole activity.

jmo

Erie or Ohio Brass Factory depending on the year. Westmoreland Esquires in 79 not counting MBI or Chicago....80 scores aren't on the historical section of the DCA site

Edited by Jeff Ream

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Erie or Ohio Brass Factory depending on th year. Westmoreland Esquires in 79 not counting MBI or Chicago....80 scores aren't on the historical section of the DCA site

Ohio Brass Factory had it going on for a few years there.  Nice corps.  I think John Arietano did some arranging for them.

I wonder why the 1980 scores aren't there. Maybe just a tough time tracking them down.  Then again, since that was not exactly a stellar year for us (Sunrisers)... perhaps it's for the best. LOL.

Interesting (to me anyway) Erie to Rochester not quite 3 hours. Erie to Pittsburgh little over 2 hours. And going way back Erie to Guelph Ont about 3.5 hours. And that’s the 3 closest.

Just brainstorming what original Tbirds faced going to shows sponsored by DCA corps. Then we had the itty bitty shows like Jamestown, NY Bedford, PA and Johnsonburg (with paper mill down the street PUKE) PA.

11 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Ohio Brass Factory had it going on for a few years there.  Nice corps.  I think John Arietano did some arranging for them.

I wonder why the 1980 scores aren't there. Maybe just a tough time tracking them down.  Then again, since that was not exactly a stellar year for us (Sunrisers)... perhaps it's for the best. LOL.

Found 1980 in Ron Allards srcorps site but haven’t looked for a while. Working with IT I copied all the scores I could find to disk. Just cuz the site is there today don’t mean it will always be there

edit: dicemanradio.com or diceman-radio.com is website. (See both wth?). Anyway 1980 Sr scores are listed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Interesting (to me anyway) Erie to Rochester not quite 3 hours. Erie to Pittsburgh little over 2 hours. And going way back Erie to Guelph Ont about 3.5 hours. And that’s the 3 closest.

Just brainstorming what original Tbirds faced going to shows sponsored by DCA corps. Then we had the itty bitty shows like Jamestown, NY Bedford, PA and Johnsonburg (with paper mill down the street PUKE) PA.

We (Sun) went to a show in Midland, PA, in 1980... July 4th weekend. Us, Westshoremen (they won the show)  the newly-reborn Yankee Rebels (they wore Troopers-style cavalry uniforms that year), and one, maybe two other corps... don't remember which ones. Maybe Hanover or Emmaus?

Seemed like it took us three days to get there and back. :laughing:  Middle of nowhere. LOL.  Some of Sun's all-time great "war stories" resulted from that weekend.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

besides those you had Warren, DuBois, Lewistown..those were all 'drive to' shows. all the rest usually involved a bus or two, but back then it was 'cash and carry' deals with the bus company, and we'd individually pony up $30-40 a seat..I recall one year with Tbirds having a show in DuBois on Saturday, then driving all night to do a show in Alliance OH Sunday afternoon.

14 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

besides those you had Warren, DuBois, Lewistown..those were all 'drive to' shows. all the rest usually involved a bus or two, but back then it was 'cash and carry' deals with the bus company, and we'd individually pony up $30-40 a seat..I recall one year with Tbirds having a show in DuBois on Saturday, then driving all night to do a show in Alliance OH Sunday afternoon.

Warren and Dubois never made a show there. Lewistown (BigW area) was a drive to along with bunch of others. Nice being near civilization 😋

Think we had about half drive to shows when I started then local shows started dropping off as costs to run the show mounted. Shows upped the ticket price to meet expenses and less people showed up. Biggest change was Corps needing more $$ for bus bills when gas price tripled. Then the local fire companies, Lions, etc found other ways to raise money. 

You had Dubois... we had Frackville (Molly Maguire hard coal country)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

found them here:

http://www.fromthepressbox2.com/1980season.htm

On 9/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Kind of sounds like the only reason to start a corps is to go to DCA Weekend.

Or participate in Soundsport, which what was Shenandoah Sound was doing and I think still is under the SONUS banner, and MBI is doing now.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Part of it was that the Ohio Brass Factory scores were  flat out bowdlerized. The actual scores weren't announced. Placement the same but the numbers were increased by 17 to 20 points to avoid discouraging and embarrassing the unit. It frosted a lot of Westshoremen in a huge way because the corps always got a lot of crap for holding the low score record from everyone with the 37 and it was easily broken and no one knew. IIRC one of the numbers was down around 20. IIRC the Esquires came to DCA in Hershey around 1980-1981 and had like a 23 at prelims...

I saw copies of the official recaps in both instances. Can't make this up. I likely have them somewhere in a box if I stumbled on them.

Now, much the same is done with minimum scores in most circuits/lowest number useable on the sheet at the bottom of Box One. I have my guesses where the floor is for DCA but would still like to actually see a sheet some epoch.

Edited by BigW