Class A corps outside NE - what happened?

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And at prelims (which ended up being finals with the rainout) in 1987, seven of the 23 corps there scored below 50.... four of them below 40. Yikes.

and it wasn't even raining hard on them

19 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And at prelims (which ended up being finals with the rainout) in 1987, seven of the 23 corps there scored below 50.... four of them below 40. Yikes.

My first Finals in 1974.... 12 corps at Finals and bottom 2 scored 40 something. Next year and more corps at Prelims.... 10 corps Finals. 😲

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, BigW said:

Part of it was that the Ohio Brass Factory scores were flat out bowdlerized. The actual scores weren't announced. Placement the same, but the numbers were increased by 17 to 20 points to avoid discouraging and embarrassing the unit. It frosted a lot of Westshoremen in a huge way, because the corps always got a lot of crap for holding the low score record from everyone with the 37, and it was easily broken and no one knew. IIRC one of the numbers was down around 20. IIRC the Esquires came to DCA in Hershey around 1980-1981 and had like a 23 at prelims...

I saw copies of the official recaps in both instances. Can't make this up. I likely have them somewhere in a box if I stumbled on them.

Per the scores at Drum Corps Xperience, the Westmoreland Esquires scored 28.5 at DC Prelims in 1979.

The same site has Ohio Brass Factory (from Alliance) scoring 36.9 at the same event. At a mid-July show in Canton the next year, they scored 34.4.

On 9/12/2019 at 5:35 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Wind Gap I think got a 27 in '80 at Hershey and someone got a 23 in '87.

Renaissance, from Wind Gap, scored 27.1 on June 14, 1980 in Hershey.

The lowest score at the 1987 DCA Prelims was awarded to the Hamilton Knights: 33.1.

Again, that's according to DCX. Other sources may have different and possibly better information.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My first Finals in 1974.... 12 corps at Finals and bottom 2 scored 40 something. Next year and more corps at Prelims.... 10 corps Finals. 😲

In the 1975 DCA Finals, the Hanover Lancers scored 45.1 and the Emmaus Sentinels scored 43.05.

Both corps had scored about ten points better in Prelims.

The next lowest 1974 Finals score, in tenth place, was 54.65 for the Thunderbirds.

The T-birds were also tenth in 1975, in the reduced Finals field, with a score of 68.03.

46 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The lowest score at the 1987 DCA Prelims was awarded to the Hamilton Knights: 33.1.

Again, that's according to DCX. Other sources may have different and possibly better information.

BigW can verify but 27.1 was not the announced score that night. To save embarrassment I guess.  At least the correct score is on record. 

And 1974 DCA Prelims/Finals scoring was definitely off for the lesser corps. We (Westshoremen) scored that 37 week before at our first show in almost 2 years. Hell we learned the end of show drill just before the contest (and it showed ugh). Week of pounding it later we scored 41 which seemed way low for the improvement. 

That was in the day of Prelims and Finals same day and we were toward end of the day (last Corps?). Wonder how much rest Emmaus and Hanover got in between shows as they might have done Prelims late also. Top 10 members usually went on early so they could rest.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Per the scores at Drum Corps Xperience, the Westmoreland Esquires scored 28.5 at DC Prelims in 1979.

The same site has Ohio Brass Factory (from Alliance) scoring 36.9 at the same event. At a mid-July show in Canton the next year, they scored 34.4.

Thanks- still... a 28<37. 

Ohio Brass did improve as the season went on but yes, the numbers were cooked before the Championship weekend publicly.

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

thats what it was. I was there, but 11, so i knew my memory may be faulty

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, BigW said:

Now, much the same is done with minimum scores in most circuits/lowest number useable on the sheet at the bottom of Box One. I have my guesses where the floor is for DCA but would still like to actually see a sheet some epoch.

Yeah, there have been a few scores over the past several year that weren't low enough, in my opinion.

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah, there have been a few scores over the past several year that weren't low enough, in my opinion.

I think it's 40-50ish