Competing vs. Performing

3 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but I've yet to figure out comments about a corps "peaking too soon" when their finals night score is the highest in the corps' history????

I was at Massillon on Monday before Finals. I can guarantee that the Finals performance was much better than the Monday performance, even though Massillon was awesome. 

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

I was at Massillon on Monday before Finals. I can guarantee that the Finals performance was much better than the Monday performance, even though Massillon was awesome. 

Think you mean Akron 🙂    I know some thought they peaked at Detroit...although I will agree that many of us thought "this could be the best DCI show ever" after that show!  And, for me, that's exactly what it became.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Think you mean Akron 🙂    I know some thought they peaked at Detroit...although I will agree that many of us thought "this could be the best DCI show ever" after that show!  And, for me, that's exactly what it became.  

LOL ... force of habit ... I did mean Akron and I love The Bluecoats show as well. I am even wearing a show shirt as I type!

On 9/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

Bluecoats -- as a whole -- did a great job of characterization from beginning to end ... from early season to finals.

Unfortunately, they either peaked too early or just simply had a bad semis run and not-good-enough finals run.

Bluecoats recorded the highest score in corps history.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 1:47 PM, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

Unfortunately, they (Bloo) either peaked too early or just simply had a bad semis run and not-good-enough finals run.

The rating change between Allentown and Finals is just over 0.3. 

Both were wonderful performances and made solid efforts to reach the audience. I loved what Bluecoats were doing, and really liked what Blue Devils were doing.

Blue Devils have been putting out what may be considered more audience friendly shows since 2014 or so, relative to 2008 til then. (Ok I'll just say friendly to me) Blue Devils "sterility" has been argued about for decades. For me, it doesnt work in recent years. 

not a good premise since most people on here seem to ascribe "performing" to material they personally enjoy and dismiss what they don't personally enjoy as "competing" aka writing to the sheets. 

i think most show designers are trying to do both, and are successful more often than not. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 1:47 PM, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

Bluecoats -- as a whole -- did a great job of characterization from beginning to end ... from early season to finals.

Unfortunately, they either peaked too early or just simply had a bad semis run and not-good-enough finals run.

Blue Devils won by less than a tenth of a point. Both corps performed their azzes off. It was a coin flip win. Add or subtract a tenth in any sub-caption and we are singing a different song. I saw a lot of great drum corp that night and a few Championship level shows. The numbers 0.087 favored BD. 

• Like 3