Competing vs. Performing

On 9/6/2019 at 4:14 PM, oldbandguy said:

Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but I've yet to figure out comments about a corps "peaking too soon" when their finals night score is the highest in the corps' history????

If they were competing against themselves, this would matter. Since they were competing against others, the highest score in corps history wasn't high enough to win. 

On 9/6/2019 at 7:14 PM, oldbandguy said:

Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but I've yet to figure out comments about a corps "peaking too soon" when their finals night score is the highest in the corps' history????

Years back, especially in the days of tics, you would hear a corps peaked too soon, and while the scores did increase as the season ended, what usually happened is the significant improvement of a corps that peaked ended and corps behind the corps that peaked moved ahead.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Years back, especially in the days of tics, you would hear a corps peaked too soon, and while the scores did increase as the season ended, what usually happened is the significant improvement of a corps that peaked ended and corps behind the corps that peaked moved ahead.   

In this case, where BD and Bloo traded victories from SA forward and the spread was .087, it is hard to argue anyone peaked too soon. 

On 9/6/2019 at 6:10 PM, jwillis35 said:

I think both Bloo and BD were really REALLY good at performing and competing. Hence the .087 spread. From my perspective, BD was able to hang closer in GE than Bloo was able to in Visual. That was really the difference. 

The notion that BD is better at competing typically comes from the fact that they know how to CLEAN the heck out of a field show -- which is something everyone should be trying to do.  Some people will say BD knows how to program a winner. I don't look at it that way. I think BD is good at competitive balance in programming, but I think they are more concerned with artistic value and quality programming.  If you look at their shows from 2007 to now, every one of them is a work of art. Sure, some of them did not connect, but most did to some extent.  In recent years they have been one of the more fan friendly corps.  So they are obviously programming entertaining shows that also have competitive balance. 

Bloo and BD are both just incredible at programming, performing, and entertaining...each in their own unique way. 

Very well said, and we should just stop this thread at your post. Nothing more really needs to be added.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Guess we have different definitions of the word WIN...

I have just one, and it is based on Webster's dictionary.

"be successful or victorious"

One can argue they were successful if their own scoring benchmark is at play, but victorious is a no go based on their score, they were not competing against themselves. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, deftguy said:

I have just one, and it is based on Webster's dictionary.

"be successful or victorious"

One can argue they were successful if their own scoring benchmark is at play, but victorious is a no go based on their score, they were not competing against themselves. 

I can argue Bloo was successful because they were. They had an awesome season. 

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Every corps was successful. Every corps won.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Based on this statement successful is a subjective analysis based on personal opinion.  What Bloo was not successful at is being victorious over their competition. 

Edited by deftguy
  • Like 2