Original Music...the future of drum corps

16 hours ago, larry333 said:

I believe original music compositions is the future of drum corps. It is becoming increasingly common to hear corps performing original music, composed specifically for the corps. I believe corps will be rewarded for original music within the scoring system. It’s a great opportunity for growth and advancement of the activity. What do you think about this?

corps will be rewarded for whatever is designed and performed well, regardless of who composed it. People have been saying original music is the wave of the future since Robert W Smith and Suncoast, and yet here we are 34 years later

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Meh.  It's been around for some time.  It's one of those things that it has to be good or just don't.  Familiar music or music that we know is good may only get heard once.  People rave about when Suncoast did it in the 80's...I was not one of them.

1985 Florida Suite if I remember right. I wasn't a huge fan of that particular show but it did have a cool vibe to it. 

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

1985 Florida Suite if I remember right. I wasn't a huge fan of that particular show but it did have a cool vibe to it. 

see that one I loved. Some others that followed no so much

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think he at least a couple more for Suncoast didn't he Jeff? I remember Dad saying something about it later on after I had aged out. 

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think he at least a couple more for Suncoast didn't he Jeff? I remember Dad saying something about it later on after I had aged out. 

they redid Florida Suite in 89, with some different material, and yeah, 88 Symphonic Dances for the confused drum corps fan

• Haha 1

I read the thread title and thought, original music is the past of drum corps not the future. 

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

An absolutely beautiful show.  I had never experienced such descriptive musical story-telling to that point.

I heard FL in every note of that show.  Fabulous.

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I read the thread title and thought, original music is the past of drum corps not the future. 

Of COURSE you did!  I wouldn't expect anything else!

Mr. Contentious.  It used to be my nickname; you can have it now.

16 hours ago, Lance said:

i think i would prefer to hear arrangements of great music than music of arrangers pretending to be composers. 

Robert Smith would like  a word with you....

Wayne Downey and Jack Meehan as well.

Edited by 84BDsop

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

Original music worked for the Cavies in the early 2000's.  Wasn't it composed to fit their great visual drill?

Worked is a loose term. The visual programs for those Cavies corps were stunning but the shows musically were a snoozefest and honestly Im not a fan of the arranging style used either: super layered and thin sounding