Original Music...the future of drum corps

Just now, Cappybara said:

Worked is a loose term. The visual programs for those Cavies corps were stunning but the shows musically were a snoozefest and honestly Im not a fan of the arranging style used either: super layered and thin sounding 

00 and 01 musically was great. 02...well.....

51 minutes ago, garfield said:

Of COURSE you did!  I wouldn't expect anything else!

Mr. Contentious.  It used to be my nickname; you can have it now.

That wasn’t meant to be contentious. It’s just what popped into my head. I was assuming it was due to my being around this too long. Not meant to be argumentative. And compared to the other stuff that’s in my head, pretty mild. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 84BDsop said:

Robert Smith would like  a word with you....

Wayne Downey and Jack Meehan as well.

i don't like much of smith's stuff, but he is an established composer for sure.  so that actually emphasizes what i said. 

i'd rather walk on my lips than listen to anything original by downey or meehan, though they're a couple of the best arrangers in dci history, which again emphasizes my point. 

i know a lot of people would also put saucedo in the conversation, but obviously not me.  loved what he did with daugherty and mctee's stuff in 2000, right before he went into full composer mode for a bunch of cavies shows.  00 was most definitely not a saucedo original.  

i don't speak for anybody but myself.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Considering all of the music I've learned about through his activity - stuff I probably would never have discovered otherwise, I love a lot of the original music that has been done.  I don't have to always here music that I am aware of.  Some of the talent in the activity is incredible.   

Edited by Continental

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes. But musically speaking, I find "Four Corners" and "Frameworks" to be about two minutes of interesting music each stretched out five times too long. "Spin Cycle" holds up. It's the second-best original drum corps composition, in my opinion. "Machine" is somewhere in between.

I was the same. Four Corners and Frameworks are just not very interesting to me musically. Nice visual programs, but the music did nothing for me. 

8 hours ago, Lance said:

i don't like much of smith's stuff, but he is an established composer for sure.  so that actually emphasizes what i said. 

i'd rather walk on my lips than listen to anything original by downey or meehan, though they're a couple of the best arrangers in dci history, which again emphasizes my point. 

Then I guess you don't like Suncoast 85 or 88.

As for Wayne and Jack....can you name an original composition by them for corps?   i can.

29 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Then I guess you don't like Suncoast 85 or 88.

As for Wayne and Jack....can you name an original composition by them for corps?   i can.

Do you mean John Meehan? If so, I relegate most of his original compositions as well to the category of forgettable/uninteresting that houses the vast majority of works written for the field.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Do you mean John Meehan? If so, I relegate most of his original compositions as well to the category of forgettable/uninteresting that houses the vast majority of works written for the field.

I mean his father, Jack Meehan....that's why I spelled it J-AC-K.

What do you think of "A New Beginning,"  BD's 83 closer?

• Like 2