9/11/2019

DC was surreal with the sky literally buzzing with helicopters.

Then air silence for weeks.  I remember walking the DC AIDS walk in early October and flights had just resumed a few days earlier.  When a plane went over, such a commonplace thing usually, we all sort of stopped up a bit and looked up at it.

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim and another volunteer drove out to Shanksville in 2014 when they were nearby while out with The Cadets.  He said you could feel their souls.  I felt the same way when we visited ground zero in 2011.  

May God bless them. 🙏

haven't been able to do more than drive by Shanksville yet. I was at ground Zero in 2005 and it was eerie. You could feel them all. The fire house right across the street....so empty....very moving

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Had our minute of silence at the DoD base I work at.

remembering Jr High classmate who was in the plane that hit the Pentagon. Has a common name and didn’t realize it was him until month later.

Had co-worker giving a presentation at the Pentagon at the time. Found out later he was in another side of the building. But our hearts did stop a bit when our boss asked “anyone hear from Andy? He’s supposed to be at the Pentagon brief right now”

And thank God that wasn’t the day of the week when my cousins kid would be at the WTC.... he was on the subway and found out when he went to street level

ok done venting

I remember many of us on RAMD asking about several folks we all knew

• Like 1

5 hours ago, year1buick said:

We’ll be in New York this Thanksgiving for the parade and a visit to the WTC memorial is also on the week’s itinerary. I’ve never been before; I think it’s going to be pretty emotional but I’m really looking forward to seeing it as well.

In 2001 I was working at a call center (in collections) and my coverage area included New Jersey and part of New York. We started work at 8:00 (central) and I remembered hearing a short blurb on the radio, just before I got out of my car, that there was a report of a small plane colliding with one of the towers. As I started making my first calls, I kept getting an “ all circuits are busy” recording. Over and over and over again. Then my wife called and said, “Are you hearing what they’re saying on the news?” It was a sickening feeling. We didn’t have internet access, and no TV’s either, so I had to rely on calls from her throughout the morning for more news of what was going on. I can’t imagine what it must’ve been like for people who lived or worked in that area or experienced it firsthand. 

I was home, talking to Sean Holton online, RIP. He told me, plus it came on Stern who I was listening to, so i turned on the TV. My roommate at the time came flying home and told me we had to limit time online...the good old days of dial up....because he was retired Special Forces, but could get a call to report if need be.

An hour after everything, a friend of ours who worked for YEA called...he was on his way home from a trip to WV to see his famil, and wanted to know if he could crash at our place until he knew it was ok to heard back to North Jersey

4 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

I was the Operations Officer on USS INGRAHAM underway in the Indian Ocean at the time of the attack.  We were with the CARL VINSON battle group on the way to the Persian Gulf, so we just detoured to the southern coast of Pakistan and waited for everyone else to show up.  We knew it was game on.

and thank you for your service

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Will never forget how empty and silent the streets and skies were above downtown Los Angeles except for the roar of the F-16’s patrolling.

I remember about 3 Pm hearing a plane, and we knew that all traffic had been grounded. Kind of nervous, as like Jim, Three Mile Island was just a short drive away...run outide and see 3 fighter jets overhead, most likely on patrol 

The poster named Garfield mentioned Cantor-Fitzgerald, a financial company with several floors in the Twin Towers. One of those who died there, Michael Cahill was one of my four former students who lost their lives at WTC that day.  Two of the L.I. Kingsmen alums also were killed that day, one a financial trader for C-F, the other a NYCFD. Please remember all these families in your prayers.

My own family was badly shaken as one of my sisters had an office at WTC but fortunately was off-campus that day doing a continuing ed program elsewhere. She had sent one of her aides back to the office to get more materials and we did not know for four days whether the person was dead or alive; he had exited the building 20 minutes before the plane hit but had stopped to get a coffee and could not exit the area due to the debris and subway damage.  As all phone coverage went down, he walked the twenty plus miles back to L.I. Eventually, my same sister shepherded the remains and families of the 2 dozen Irish nationals who lost their lives that day in NYC as she was the liaison between the NYC govt. and the Republic of Ireland govt., a position from which she only recently finished.

I remember standing on the roof of the school I was at out on L.I. seeing the towers one minute and not seeing them the next but seeing the billowing black smoke which within hours soon hovered over all of L.I. In my town alone we lost 40 plus neighbors, 400 in the county.

A guy I had marched with in Sunrisers worked in the second tower that was hit... he and some co-workers had been there in 1993 when the WTC garage was bombed.

On 9-11, he and the guys who were there in '93 heard the calls to "stay at your desks, everything's OK, it's the other tower".... and ignored them, telling everyone in the office they needed to get out... that they had seen this movie once before and it didn't end well.  So... they got up and got out... and all survived, as a result.

• Like 1

You can read a moving (and completely non-political) collection of short excerpts of testimonials recounting the day's events here:

The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11.

There are almost certainly some details in there you've never encountered before.

• Like 2