9/11/2019

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, the Scouts' 2011 show was both a sincere and well-made commemoration of that awful day, putting it in the good company of works like this essay by Tom Junod (warning: graphic image at link) and this short film by Alejandro González Iñárritu (same warning).

OMG, I remember reading this.  This is tragic and beautiful.  But you elevate Madison's beautiful show too high, IMO.  This eloquent piece was stunning.

Edited by garfield

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

It’s an American flag.   Is that still acceptable or is there someone I need to check with?

I was making a joke: you wrote "us", and I responded "eh", to be pronounced in the Canadian fashion.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I was making a joke: you wrote "us", and I responded "eh", to be pronounced in the Canadian fashion.

I wondered but cousin in Toronto had a girlfriend who finished every other sentence with eh...

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Given the important role Canada played in the aftermath, it seemed appropriate to nod toward our neighbors in the north.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Oooohhhhhh.  I didn't get it either.

Got an explanation, then, for the "anti-jingoism" you seem to possess?  

:blow:

I've got spurs that jingo jango jingo.

• Haha 1

Just remembered that I’m going on a bus trip to Detroit next month and on way out will stop at Shenksville. Never been there so open for info if anyone wants to PM.

41 minutes ago, garfield said:

I know that tune!

Co-written by Frank Loesser, also the composer of two great American ('murican?) musicals, including this one:

The young star in that number was later a regular on Mad Men.

(But apparently the Marx Brothers and Wally Shawn aren't 'murican enough for somebody here. Who deletes Duck Soup? Who promoted Peress! Inconceivable!)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Co-written by Frank Loesser, also the composer of two great American ('murican?) musicals, including this one:

The young star in that number was later a regular on Mad Men.

And he went out singing, too!  

But didn't we just go from jingoism to sexism in one post?

Edited by garfield