9/11/2019

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Co-written by Frank Loesser, also the composer of two great American ('murican?) musicals, including this one:

[...]

The young star in that number was later a regular on Mad Men.

Here's an alternate version featuring some great American ('murican?) entertainers of more recent vintage:

Bonus cameo by that great American ('murican?) rapper, Ice T!

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just remembered that I’m going on a bus trip to Detroit next month [...]

Reminds me of a great American ('murican?) song that the Bluecoats performed in 2013:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

But, we only need not burn the books to prove our job done.

That brings to mind one of the best lines in that great American ('murican?) action adventure film, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

Albeit delivered by a Scottish actor (exchange starts at 1 min 22 sec).

We’ll be in New York this Thanksgiving for the parade and a visit to the WTC memorial is also on the week’s itinerary. I’ve never been before; I think it’s going to be pretty emotional but I’m really looking forward to seeing it as well.

In 2001 I was working at a call center (in collections) and my coverage area included New Jersey and part of New York. We started work at 8:00 (central) and I remembered hearing a short blurb on the radio, just before I got out of my car, that there was a report of a small plane colliding with one of the towers. As I started making my first calls, I kept getting an “ all circuits are busy” recording. Over and over and over again. Then my wife called and said, “Are you hearing what they’re saying on the news?” It was a sickening feeling. We didn’t have internet access, and no TV’s either, so I had to rely on calls from her throughout the morning for more news of what was going on. I can’t imagine what it must’ve been like for people who lived or worked in that area or experienced it firsthand. 

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyway, kudos to DCP for the banner tribute at the top of the page.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, year1buick said:

We’ll be in New York this Thanksgiving for the parade and a visit to the WTC memorial is also on the week’s itinerary. I’ve never been before; I think it’s going to be pretty emotional but I’m really looking forward to seeing it as well.

In 2001 I was working at a call center (in collections) and my coverage area included New Jersey and part of New York. We started work at 8:00 (central) and I remembered hearing a short blurb on the radio, just before I got out of my car, that there was a report of a small plane colliding with one of the towers. As I started making my first calls, I kept getting an “ all circuits are busy” recording. Over and over and over again. Then my wife called and said, “Are you hearing what they’re saying on the news?” It was a sickening feeling. We didn’t have internet access, and no TV’s either, so I had to rely on calls from her throughout the morning for more news of what was going on. I can’t imagine what it must’ve been like for people who lived or worked in that area or experienced it firsthand. 

Never thought of that before. Grew up near Three Mile Island and was away at college when things hit the fan in 79. Took all day to get a call to my folks and another day until the lines weren’t jammed. Before CNN 24/7 news so all info was national news which tried to up each other in scare tactics. Dorm mates would watch Uncle Walter Cronkite and then come to me for the real scoop. 

Weirdest story was friend called TX for work. Person on other other end said “you’re calling from Harrisburg? We just heard you all are dropping dead in the streets up there”. So don’t underestimate power of rumors

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Never thought of that before. Grew up near Three Mile Island and was away at college when things hit the fan in '79. Took all day to get a call to my folks and another day until the lines weren’t jammed. Before CNN 24/7 news so all info was national news which tried to up each other in scare tactics. Dorm mates would watch Uncle Walter Cronkite and then come to me for the real scoop.

Weirdest story was friend called TX for work. Person on other other end said “you’re calling from Harrisburg? We just heard you all are dropping dead in the streets up there”. So don’t underestimate power of rumors.

Here's something wild about that accident: it happened twelve days after the release of the film The China Syndrome, which is about just such an event.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Here's something wild about that accident: it happened twelve days after the release of the film The China Syndrome, which is about just such an event.

And supposedly (could never bring myself to watch it) there is a line something like “if this thing goes it will affect an area the size of Pennsylvania “ brrrrrr