Why would a corps ever find it "Justify"-able to use an overaged member?

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes they were.  But DCI never found them in violation of the age rule.

you better check your history of which corps was given a warning just as they were about to take the field and pulled the kid before the corps performed...

I don't know any details but BITD when corps would repeat significant portions of their show from one year to the next, if you had someone drop out just before or during tour, it could have been tempting to let that marcher who aged out last year, and who already knows half the show, to march at least for a little while. I was such a replacement (but not overage) one year when I had planned not to march, went to an early season show as a spectator, and was asked by corps staff if I was interested in filling a hole which had just opened. 

But there is almost zero motivation to march overage members now, there's so much great young talent and so much attention paid to everyone and everything. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

you better check your history of which corps was given a warning just as they were about to take the field and pulled the kid before the corps performed...

Never heard this before. Since they folded after the 74 season, would this have been the first instance of an overage member being targeted by DCI/VFW/AL?

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

hence why I stated "comes with many nuances." I was there and no well what happened at those DCI sessions.

I know...but every time this kind of thread starts, someone starts claiming that Gail WAS cheating and just got caught....I thought I'd head that one off at the pass.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

I know...but every time this kind of thread starts, someone starts claiming that Gail WAS cheating and just got caught....I thought I'd head that one off at the pass.

I have seen the SCV 1989 debate occur several times, but I have yet to see anyone make that contention.  They had forged documents that fooled U.S. Customs.  

• Thanks 1

I know we're talking about overage performers illegally making it to the field of competition ...for whatever reason....But BITD when senior corps were the logical progression for mm's after ageing out the opposite happened with some senior corps, by allowing middle teens to march with men and women..talk about a growing up fast!!!..I don't know if there was a formal minimum age for senior corps but if they needed to fill a hole, age was often overlooked(particularly if you had a beard).Lol..I don't know when all-age drum corps started but there was a time when senior drum corps was the BOMB and aspiring to march there was laudable

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I have seen the SCV 1989 debate occur several times, but I have yet to see anyone make that contention.  They had forged documents that fooled U.S. Customs.  

While I agree with you, I do think I've seen people here claim that SCV staff had to know the truth.

But the more frequent argument I've seen from SCV-1989 detractors is that even if they didn't know, it shouldn't matter: regardless of the reason, they marched overage members.

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

They had forged documents that fooled U.S. Customs.  

My memory is foggy on this point. Do we know for sure that the documents presented to SCV staff were in fact the same ones presented to U.S. authorities? Did SCV contact authorities? Were any charges filed? Were they summarily deported?

59 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

While I agree with you, I do think I've seen people here claim that SCV staff had to know the truth.

I missed that.  Missed the Auburn thing too.  But at least I was around when 1984 Les Eclipses were disqualified.  It may have been 1985 by the time the action was taken - the LPs shipped with them still included.

58 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

My memory is foggy on this point. Do we know for sure that the documents presented to SCV staff were in fact the same ones presented to U.S. authorities? Did SCV contact authorities? Were any charges filed? Were they summarily deported?

I have no recollection.  I only meant that I doubt DCI holds their corps directors to a higher standard than government agencies in determining document authenticity.

• Thanks 1