Why would a corps ever find it "Justify"-able to use an overaged member?

DCI should have increased the age max years ago. Seems silly to cap it at 21. The average age of a world class corps is pushing 20. Gone are the days when a 13 year-old kid is going to march in their community corps. 

DCI should allow college aged people to at least 22 (four years college eligibility years).

Edited by drumcorpsfever

5 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

DCI should have increased the age max years ago. Seems silly to cap it at 21. The average age of a world class corps is pushing 20. Gone are the days when a 13 year-old kid is going to march in their community corps. 

DCI should allow college aged people to at least 22 (four years college eligibility years).

I’m pretty sure they are allowed to march when they turn 22 during the season.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

actually part of the reason for capping it where it has been is how foundations, grants, and other charitable funding which individual corps and DCI organization applies (and sometimes gets $$$) define youth as ending at age 21.  Want evidence of this, check the posters on DCP proclaiming that the poster should be respected as an adult, or their corps management treated them/indulged them as adults, etc., etc.  Can't have it both ways.

When voting down extending the age max (I think this has been done 3X since 1990) the common sentiment expressed in the conclusions the BoD has reached has been: 22? time to grow up, get a job, and contribute to the larger community. (my paraphrase.) DCI is not BLAST and isn't professional employment/career.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't they justify it now on the soundboards?  Probably the most important aspect of shows today?  Frankly they should be making 17-under and 18-22 so there are no misconceptions or other issues that arise.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 10:50 AM, xandandl said:

actually part of the reason for capping it where it has been is how foundations, grants, and other charitable funding which individual corps and DCI organization applies (and sometimes gets $$$) define youth as ending at age 21.  Want evidence of this, check the posters on DCP proclaiming that the poster should be respected as an adult, or their corps management treated them/indulged them as adults, etc., etc.  Can't have it both ways.

When voting down extending the age max (I think this has been done 3X since 1990) the common sentiment expressed in the conclusions the BoD has reached has been: 22? time to grow up, get a job, and contribute to the larger community. (my paraphrase.) DCI is not BLAST and isn't professional employment/career.

I have been around drum corps for a long time. Your rationale for the 21 year old max is the most insightful reasoning I have ever seen. In your 2 paragraphs above, you have changed my thinking on this one.  I wholeheartedly agree.   Thank you for posting!

• Like 2