Too late to start Tuba/Contra?

cybersnyder

I'm 50 and I've always wanted to try playing Contra. Is it too late? I've played trumpet / mellophone / baritone / euphonium and a lot of electric bass. The thing that kicked this itch off was 2012 or 2013 maybe an outside chance of 2014 while I was in the Baltimore Ravens Marching band a Fusion Core contra was warming up across the street at Havre de Grace, younger African American guy. He was apparently improving on some walking bass lines and it was very cool. I have ~10 electric basses at home, so wouldn't a contra be something different to add to the lineup? Always in high demand for cover bands, right? </sarcasm> My heart says "get a contra", my head says, "an upright would get you a ton more gigs".

Edited by cybersnyder

2 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I'm 50 and I've always wanted to try playing Contra. Is it too late? I've played trumpet / mellophone / baritone / euphonium and a lot of electric bass. The thing that kicked this itch off was 2012 or 2013 maybe an outside chance of 2014 while I was in the Baltimore Ravens Marching band a Fusion Core contra was warming up across the street at Havre de Grace, younger African American guy. He was apparently improving on some walking bass lines and it was very cool. I have ~10 electric basses at home, so wouldn't a contra be something different to add to the lineup? Always in high demand for cover bands, right? </sarcasm> My heart says "get a contra", my head says, "an upright would get you a ton more gigs".

I would assume a contra would get you the same gigs as a sousaphone, really.  Probably no good with German type bands, but would definitely work in funk-type stuff or Honk bands?  

Mike

9 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I would assume a contra would get you the same gigs as a sousaphone, really.  Probably no good with German type bands, but would definitely work in funk-type stuff or Honk bands?  

Mike

Kinda just looking to play, maybe some Christmas brass caroling. I'll keep my eye out for used instruments. $10k for the one I want is probably overkill.

• Haha 1

There's a guy known as "Tuba Joe" who plays with Al Chez and his Brothers of Funk. Evidently anyone affiliated with Bush knows the cat and he's quite good and well regarded. I'd think someone can get you in touch or give you a lead from there. If not... I have a lead but I need to be lucky enough to see him some time this fall. That fellow knows the craft , knows him and deeply respects him.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, BigW said:

Tubachristmas is always wonderful to play in.

And at every Tubachristmas I've played in, there are usually a few people who only pick up a tuba (or baritone) once a year.

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And at every Tubachristmas I've played in, there are usually a few people who only pick up a tuba (or baritone) once a year.

Williamsport, PA had a 90+ year old cat from the Repasz Band who was mainly a Cornet player who got around real, real well on an antique Besson he borrowed from a friend.